Are the models still predicting a cold snap for Saturday?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
gopolks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gopolks »

Yesterday was beautiful, cant believe its like this near the end of May, but last December I was freezing my butt off, watching NZ beat Sri Lanka.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

looks like colder unstable weather on the way from early next week.
Skii fields will get their first snow fall.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Looks like winter is going to hit in the first week of June but I don't think we will get a snowfall for ChCh/Canterbury until July.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes certainly something coming up into next week, a nice big fat high slabbed over Australia sqeezing the isobars with icy air from the caps. 8)
I was wondering before wether the sea temperatures were rather warmer for this time of year as it has been rather W-NW flows coming across from the Tasman instead of our usual W-SW flow which tends to pull colder water onshore.
Obviously this is more of an effect for the east coast than the west :? .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

gidday guys! and fellow weather enthusiasts! i have just got back from Australia! very warm weather indeed, particularly humid in QLD Also had a thunderstorm on the very last night, on the sunshine coast, wasnt too bad either with some big loud booms and spectacular lightning 8)
I get back too Christchurch and its the good old NE breeze and much colder ;)
Anyways im back and now going too get back up to date with our weather and look fawed too the winter!
will post up some pics of clouds from oz if i can! :)

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Storm Struck

Good old typical rogue tropical storms and downpours in QLD where the majority of kiwi's live in Australia or Mozzies (Maori aussies).
First proper frost for the winter season this morning even though being two days out was still hard to get used to after all the warm weather latly.
I would say atleast 2C this morning and misty fog patches on the way to work south of the Waimakariri bridge.
Here is what is coming our way perhaps for this weknd, with the first system sounds like Victoria have copped it bad.

WINDS in excess of 140km/h have lashed the state, shredding roofs, damaging cars and closing city streets in the path of flying debris.

A taxi driver miraculously escaped unscathed when a big piece of roof steel ripped from a building and fell to earth, slicing into his back window in Bourke street.

City workers and shoppers ran for cover as swirling debris crashed.

Victoria Police closed sections of Little Collins, Bourke and Little Bourke streets for safety.

The roads were re-opened at 2.30pm.

"There were pieces of roof coming off and flying 30m above buildings, spinning around, and then coming down like a guillotine," Sgt Dave Spencer said.

The State Emergency Service has received more than 100 call-outs statewide since 8am this morning.

Rescuers freed a man pinned in his car at Hampton Park when a tree tumbled on his vehicle. He suffered minor leg injuries.

A tree branch crashed on top of two golfers about to tee off at Olinda Golf Course. They suffered cuts to the head. One was taken to Knox Private Hospital.

SES spokesman Allan Briggs said the worst affected areas were in the west and east of the state including Ballarat, Gisborne, Emerald, Footscray and Mansfield.

"In the last few hours it has really ramped up," Mr Briggs said.

"We've had several hundred volunteers out responding to jobs today."

Students at a Gisborne primary school were forced to evacuate a classroom and huddled in a nearby church because of smashed windows and a wobbling wall.

Motorists on the Western Highway reported strong winds pushing cars sideways.

Bureau of Meteorology spokesman Phil King said the first spots of rain should hit the city by the afternoon.

"There's a fair bit of rain coming down from Ballarat and even Seymour in the north so I'd think we would start to see some patchy rain develop in the city sometime in the afternoon, probably around two or three," Mr King said.

"Probably the best of it will be this evening."

Melbourne can expect about 10mm while other parts of the state, including the north and west, can expect dumps of 30mm.

And Mr King said there would be no relief from the gale force winds until the next front hits the city this eveningWild gales lash state

Interesting then we will watch for next week too :-k .
Cheers
Jason.
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

This is NZ weather, guys.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

beautiful day here in Canterbury turned out quite warm this afternoon, with hardly any wind! was relaxing working outside! i know thats not going too be the case all winter though 8)
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Perhaps not so much for this weekend....but next week WED/THUR is looking pretty good!! :-) 'Bout time, really....subject for a different thread, though?
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

tornadoman18 wrote:beautiful day here in Canterbury turned out quite warm this afternoon, with hardly any wind! was relaxing working outside! i know thats not going too be the case all winter though 8)
Yep it felt like 20 degrees today, and its going to be 20 tomorrow, in June, the first day of winter!
Storm Struck

Yes a real cold one coming next week Overnight Wednesday and into Thursday with perhaps snow hovering around the 3-400m mark not bad for this far out.
I wouldnt be ruling out any good thunder and hail that may well roll up on such windchanges, remember sea temperatures are above normal at the moment.
Some nice upper level mamatus clouds today under a breezy NW flow 8) .
Cheers
Jason.