Cold June?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Cold June?

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

After a warm, dry May, the last month of Autumn, will June be slightly colder,wetter?
The first proper wintry break looks set from about the middle of next week with lower pressures over the country. :-k
Will it last?

JohnGaul
NZTS
gllitz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cold June?

Unread post by gllitz »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:After a warm, dry May, the last month of Autumn, will June be slightly colder,wetter?
The first proper wintry break looks set from about the middle of next week with lower pressures over the country. :-k
Will it last?

JohnGaul
NZTS
I reckon! The cold snap is looking to be a nasty one, too...
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes, it might be a shock to some people who are used to the mild temperatures that we have been getting so far this month.
However, it won't be as sharply cold as June was last year. :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Last year the June 12th snowstorm formed when a moist deepening low came down from the N-NW and collided with a colder front moving up the east coast. Next week would be a more typical cold blast so if snow was to lower to rather low levels places like Dunedin,Southland which havnt had that many decent falls in the last 3-4 years could well see it in such a icy flow straight from the caps.
Not saying that it would happen but it's a more common situation for those places mentioned above.
Does look like being a bitter one even though it is next week and models can and will change hopefully for our good sakes 8) .
This weknds wee splash of rain may be the start to get out of this warm dry period.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
tich

Unread post by tich »

May look like cold weather coming up, but winter 2007 certainly hasn't got off to a chilly start here - currently a balmy 16C in Chch.
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

tich wrote:May look like cold weather coming up, but winter 2007 certainly hasn't got off to a chilly start here - currently a balmy 16C in Chch.
Yep, nice and warm, and its going to be 20 degrees!
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

19.7°C here today but from the middle of next week things will change. :D
I have a zero chance of thunderstorms tommorrow night/late afternoon when the southerly hits, this depending on the NE beforehand :roll:
If I was in Wellington there would be a 87% chance of a thunderstorm occuring over Canterbury, but I'm not there, so the chance is 1% of a thunderstorm occuring :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Well there looked to be a bit of a CB to the south after the initial layer of stratus cleared about 4:30pm here.
Looking south from here towards Rolleston

JohnGaul
NZTS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storm Struck

Yes I too noticed that CB off the coast but at around about 2pm and was still structured looking in the same spot by 5pm.
No precipitation here yet with the southerly apart from a few spots before, but interesting enough the latest rain radar indicates heavy falls of rain north of here :? .
Cheers
Jason.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Yes, finally we are getting some wet stuff here, after nearly 4 weeks without any. Only 7mm in May and nearly all of that fell in the first few days. We had plants wilting here in the last few days, the same way they do in mid summer if you dont irrigate, yet at the same time we have a cherry in flower! Poor thing, totally confused by the season. As am I! ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

TonyT wrote:Yes, finally we are getting some wet stuff here, after nearly 4 weeks without any. Only 7mm in May and nearly all of that fell in the first few days. We had plants wilting here in the last few days, the same way they do in mid summer if you dont irrigate, yet at the same time we have a cherry in flower! Poor thing, totally confused by the season. As am I! ;)
Yes, a bit of drizzle here tonight,Tony, the first bit of moisture from the skies since May the 11th. I have been watering plants as well :roll:
Tomorrow, I must mow the lawns :?

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Light rain and drizzle from last evening on Banks Peninsula, but looks like it's clearing up a bit now. Good to hear that South Island skifields are getting some of the white stuff, even if it's just a dusting so far.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

You get the impression looking at the 12Z ECMRF that we are in for a much colder spell of weather this week. Should be good for the countrys ski industry and snow looks possible to sea level in Southland/Fiordland by the end of the week. Yes, so maybe a another very cold June ahead.
Last edited by NZstorm on Sun 03/06/2007 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
TokWW

Unread post by TokWW »

Mid North Island had a good dumping yesterday - 56.5mm recorded here in Tokoroa that was from 5am through to 15.30. A beautiful sunny day has dawned here, just some low mist which has lifted. I need to keep the heater on longer now for the webcam - a 100W cupboard heater - with a 24hr timer switch. Even the outside of the attic window gets misted up without it!

TokWW
A Father can have a hobby because he is the Transport, Referee, Manager, Committee Member Dad!!
LaCrosse WS-2308CH, Sharp VideoCam, ULD Lightning Radar
http://www.inmanavenue.com/
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

getting some hail now in a heavy shower ATM :)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

We ended up with 12mm here. :)
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

Well they got CHCH wrong, again, we were suppose to have showers overnight and in the morning, and I wake up to a beautiful fine day, maybe a little bit coller than it has been though.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Well they got CHCH wrong, again, we were suppose to have showers overnight and in the morning, and I wake up to a beautiful fine day, maybe a little bit coller than it has been though.
The rain from this system would've varied throughout Canterbury - Banks Peninsula had light rain overnight, while Chch obviously got little (0.6mm at Hillmorton). Must've been alot more precipitation in the mid Canterbury foothills for Mt Hutt to get 25cm snow, albeit only above about 1000m.
Storm Struck

Woke up this morning to dry grounds and cool fresh SW wind pity although this week aheads weather should prove interesting.
It now looks like snow to even lower levels on Thursday night so places inland etc may well get some flurries also I would imagine sleet to sea level perhaps but of corse it is a wee way out still yet even though the models are improving again 8) .
I see another cold blast follows in behind on Saturday with more snow to low levels, lets hope for our's and skier's sakes it comes to something.
But obviously not so for farmers who may well have crops or have to cover fruit production etc.
Atleast queens birthday is going to be a nice day across most of NZ. :D
Cheers
Jason.
kiwisk8er

Unread post by kiwisk8er »

First real Dunedin frost this morning down to -1.9 degrees celcius
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Yes it looked a good frost in North East Valley from up here. Airport read -4°
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
jrj

Unread post by jrj »

Note that MetService now include a wind-chill meter on their local forecasts. No use for Hastings though, as there is no anemometer installed!