BREAKING NEWS>>> Augie Auer passes away

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Wildland

Unread post by Wildland »

TonyT wrote:Augie's infectious enthusiasm for all things to do with the weather has lead to a lot of people in NZ understanding the way the weather works a little better. He achieved this not just by being good at talking to ordinary people, but by being able to enthuse the media into giving him the air time to say his thing. He was not afraid to stand up and say what he thought, even if it provoked some controversy at times, and you have to admire that. I also admire the way he followed his heart by leaving his academic tenure in the US and moving himself and his family half way around the world to what he knew was a better life. I didnt always agree with some of the things he said, but meteorology in NZ has risen considerably in profile since he arrived here, and his input will certainly be missed - RIP.
Thanks TonyT. Nicely thought out and put.

Augie Auer was a deep thinker and not afraid to take an independent stance whilst taking the opportunity to make meteorology more interesting to the public. In many respects, he was a true scientist, and not afraid to voice a view that went against a popular trend. Right or wrong, people with his courage to stand against the tide need to be listened to so that the resulting debate improves our knowledge.

And in the meantime he gave us some memorable phrases that struck a chord with the public as he made meteorology more interesting.

NZ science has benefitted from the time that he spent with us.
KiwiWeather

Unread post by KiwiWeather »

When I worked in radio, we often would phone Augie and ask if he would have a chat on air about the wx. It could be a long weekend coming up or something wild approaching us. Sometimes it was not possible to phone and politely arrange a time, as cheeky as we were, we would phone "off cuff".
Do you know, that Augie always had the time for a chat on air. He was the nicest gentleman/celebrity, that I have ever had the pleasure to deal with.
Augie was captivating and charismatic. He was such an interesting person to listen to and it wasn't just the listeners that were glued to their radio's, our staff would always stop to hear him.

His stance on Global Warming is absolutely heroic. To stand against the tide of public trend takes a very knowledgeable and passionate person.

I, like the thousands of other people he has touched, will miss him greatly and so will science.

My deepest sincerity goes out to his family and friends.