Thunder in Manawatu

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
GreggWard

Thunder in Manawatu

Unread post by GreggWard »

Within the last hour have had quite a bit of lightning and the odd bit of thunder originating from the south and west of Palmerston North.

Just prior to 22:00 it got very stormy with strong squally winds and heavy rain. There was also quite a powerful bolt of bluish lightning, which caused both of my PCs to reboot(one was my PC that uploads my Weather Station data).

The AM band is still crackling away about every 30 seconds or so, so hopefully we get some more action soon.

Just going outside to have another look.

The satellite image from 22:00 shows some decent development happening out in the Tasman Sea, to the west of the north of the North Is. You Aucklanders could be in for another good storm tonight.:)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes Gregg, thundery downpours could be on there way to Auckland tonight, get ready Steven! Just seen One News and they showed lightning going off over Wellington at about 8:30pm. Very heavy rain there with slips and roads being cut off etc, cars even floating apparentley!! I'm not sure if here on the east coast we'll get to see anything interesting apart from these strong winds that are meant to be coming on Saturday.
Aaron Wilkinson
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I have been watching the progress of those Thunderstorms up the western side of NZ through the day. They are into the Central Western North Island now and look like may be reaching the Auckland area, that would be in the early hours. :D
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Have sferix on the radio am band .
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Front passed through AK before 3am with heavy rain and squally winds.(19mm) No thunderstorms. Some very stable air in the north here weakened the front as it came north.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

No Thunder here but the Weather still managed to wake me up with violent wind and rain at 2.45am.