Cold outbreak, first week of September

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
RWood

Re: Cold outbreak, first week of September

Unread post by RWood »

Who cares - to me, this latest snow event seems to be something of an obsession for many on the forum. :?
Andrew Massie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

RWood wrote:Who cares - to me, this latest snow event seems to be something of an obsession for many on the forum. :?
I agree. From all different backgrounds for different reasons. Maybe there needs to be a sub-topic "Optimistic snow hopers here"! :lol:
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Who cares - to me, this latest snow event seems to be something of an obsession for many on the forum.
One of the coldest winter outbreaks of the year though, if not the coldest, albeit very breif.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Yes was Avery cold start this morning in chch, Down to -7 at the airport was it? Yeah thunderstorm season coming aint that right Mr Andrew Massie? ;) 8) :lol:
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

A nice clear blue dome sky day with light winds 8) who would have thought it was snowing and sleeting yesterday :lol: .
Alps looked very impressive this morning a good dumping on them and Mt Herbert managed to make it right through the day and still has plenty of snow visable on it. I noticed even the shelterd valley near the Sugarloaf had some snow on it near the top too, so the port hills did get abit of snow.
Dont know about -7C this morning it wasnt that cold although the sun rises at 7am now 8) which helps when it comes to working outside, but I would say about -4C.
Our work base in Harewood is not far from the airport and the puddles were only frozen lightly on top this morning not thick like a -7C frost would do.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

tornadoman18 wrote:Yes was Avery cold start this morning in chch, Down to -7 at the airport was it? Yeah thunderstorm season coming aint that right Mr Andrew Massie? ;) 8) :lol:
Got that straight, Fella! You never know, we might even get another one this year even! <Voice dripping with sarcasm> :mrgreen:
tich

Unread post by tich »

Are you implying - if it wasn't forecast, it couldn't happen? Or do you know that there wasn't any snow on the Rimutaka Hill Road yesterday afternoon?
I thought it could easily happen, with daytime obs showing Kelburn (about 150m asl) as low as 5C, but MetService hadn't thought so. BTW How high above sea-level are you Wildland?

Another big (for September) frost likely by dawn in Chch, unless a breeze picks up.
TokWW

Unread post by TokWW »

Another clear cool night and a little wind < 7kph from SE has left us with a little frost ;) of -0.8ºC here in Tokoroa. Baro flat o'night on 1032 - another cool but fine day here!! Sunday's event is being downgraded for mid NI. Its the last day for company run buses to the Kinleith Mill - a 35 year institution after the 1972 modernisation, so I have my camera, leaving the bike behind and walking to the bus today - at least my fingers and toes won't freeze!!
A Father can have a hobby because he is the Transport, Referee, Manager, Committee Member Dad!!
LaCrosse WS-2308CH, Sharp VideoCam, ULD Lightning Radar
http://www.inmanavenue.com/
Wildland

Unread post by Wildland »

tich wrote: BTW How high above sea-level are you Wildland?
35 metres according to GPS.
However a new weather station nearby makes me wonder whether the readings we took were incorrect (too low).
A recheck is on the TODO list.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Almost 8/8 now 5° fine this morning current 14° nil wind though