Seabreeze in Christchurch

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jab
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Seabreeze in Christchurch

Unread post by jab »

Hi Guys, I wonder if you can help me.
Am looking for some info on seabreezes and coastal winds in Christchurch for windsurfing, we currently live in Perth, Aust so we get regular 20knot + cross shore winds in summer, can anyone give me a realistic idea of the strength of the winds in summer in CHCH or have any data from previous years wind strength,
Cheers
TonyT

Re: Seabreeze in Christchurch

Unread post by TonyT »

There are plenty of windsurfing opportunities on the estuary, but it is tidal. No shortage of wind strength (15-20 knots) on NE days, which are probably at least 50% of most summer days, if not 60-65%. Lyttelton harbour is popular as well, there are probably wind speed stats from the port in the national climate database.
jab

Unread post by jab »

Thanks for that, more looking at wave sailing than flat water , all sounds what I am looking for, maybe not as windy as here, but you don,t get snow in WA!!!
cHEERS
Andrew Massie

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

There's always wave sailers (is that the people with the kites and the funny little surfboards?) during the summer down our way (New Brighton, North Beach, Waimari) when around 4pm the cold onshore Easterly kicks in. That's if there's no dominating weather systems to overpower it (Southerly and Norwesters usually).