South Island weather 26th to 4th

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
RWood

South Island weather 26th to 4th

Unread post by RWood »

I'm in the Main Land for those 10 days. :) Blue Skies' longrange forecast looks fairly promising - will be in the Mackenzie from Monday pm to Wednesday, and hoping it's fine enough around Mt Cook settlement for a visit during that time.
David

Re: South Island weather 26th to 4th

Unread post by David »

Enjoy it! - maybe you could take some pictures to post when you get back, would like to see some more S Island scenery :)
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Will have a go...
janewaystv
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by janewaystv »

Enjoy your holiday RWood, hope to see some good weather (I'm probably pushing my luck - rain) photos of your holiday on the "mainland" & plenty of sunshine for you :lol:
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

will be in the Mackenzie from Monday pm to Wednesday, and hoping it's fine enough around Mt Cook settlement for a visit during that time
Visit Mt Cook Monday and you may get lucky with a view of the Mt tops but my guess is Sefton, Cook etc will be cloud covered for much of next week from Monday.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Keep an eye on the 1st November! ;)
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Beautiful drive down from Picton yesterday with temps up to about 23C, some snow on Kaikouras and plenty of spring green, though the thin veneer of green (when present) around the "badlands" at Redwood/Dashwood south of Blenheim is always unconvincing.
Ran into the southerly cloudbank just south of Kaikoura, and drizzle or light showers later. Well north (at least 40km) of the main cloudbank I saw an "outrider" (I think) of the cooler airmass - a 500m or so hill near the coast had cloud forming on its southern/SW faces. Can anyone comment on this?

Stopped at "North Wester" in Amberley (on recommendation) for a snack and cuppa - very pleasant atmosphere.

Yes, I'll have to make the most of Monday as it looks as if a good NW gradient will be getting set up from late Monday on.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Ran into the southerly cloudbank just south of Kaikoura, and drizzle or light showers later. Well north (at least 40km) of the main cloudbank I saw an "outrider" (I think) of the cooler airmass - a 500m or so hill near the coast had cloud forming on its southern/SW faces. Can anyone comment on this?
Sounds to me like cold sea air moving onto the warmed land as the NorthWesterly drops out just ahead of the main cold change.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Lovely clear day today for pictures out at Sumner and Lyttelton harbour etc. :D Will be aiming for a fast trip to the high country tomorrow to see if the cloud has moved in on the peaks yet. :-k
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

RWood wrote:Lovely clear day today for pictures out at Sumner and Lyttelton harbour etc. :D Will be aiming for a fast trip to the high country tomorrow to see if the cloud has moved in on the peaks yet. :-k
Might be interesting down the West Coast especially with those 'railway-lines' coming our way as depicted by Jim Hickey tonight on the weather map on the weather on TV :) or :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Quick trip to Tekapo (base for 3 nights), going to zip down to Cook settlement before things deteriorate. Pristine at the moment, absolutely glorious day and views. :D
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Rewarded - cloudless on Cook, few straggly bits on the lowish gap near Sefton, otherwise no clouds anywhere I went today. :D Strong downvalley winds later in afternoon in Hooker and Tasman valleys.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

mmm is there any interesting weather coming up? rather dull at the mo, but nice and warm! Cant wait for the really hot 30C days to come knocking on the door!
As i work outdoors now, enjoying the weather and a bonus to that ill actually get to see thunderstorms coming up to :D
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Well, there's the heavy rain warnings for the usual suspects including lakes catchments. High cloud here, going up to Mt John for a look. Little wind here but expect a bit up there, given its reputation in developing NW conditions.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Brightened up again at the lake, not thta much evidence of rain onmountains yet. Warm and dry at Fairlie with some afternoon sun.
janewaystv
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by janewaystv »

I'll be looking forward to seeing some pics next week :mrgreen: , will you be going to Central Otago at all?, I was just thinking about my last visit there & couldn't believe how barren the hills were around Alexandra, I happened to look at NZ's weather summary for 1983 & came across the comment that Alexandra had its wettest year on record with rainfall 150% of the average, same for Mt John (where is this place)? I bet you're enjoying the 20oC + temps as well :)
David

Unread post by David »

Looks to be a big system for Westland and Fiordland, already 68mm at Haast to 8pm today.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

janewaystv wrote:I'll be looking forward to seeing some pics next week :mrgreen: , will you be going to Central Otago at all?, I was just thinking about my last visit there & couldn't believe how barren the hills were around Alexandra, I happened to look at NZ's weather summary for 1983 & came across the comment that Alexandra had its wettest year on record with rainfall 150% of the average, same for Mt John (where is this place)? I bet you're enjoying the 20oC + temps as well :)
24C yesterday around Fairlie in NW with some sunny periods. Extensive high cloud at lake with good views from Mt John of alpine clouds with impending rainfalls. Brighter this am with lenticulars on display. Driving to Ohau if it doesn't start raining on the way. Mt John is at 1027m ASL, hill above Tekapo with observatory. Has recorded a gust of 250kph in 1970 (also a 10-min spell then with an average of 215 kph). Windy up there y'day but the new cafe was quite inside. The most barren-looking parts of the Mackenzie look every bit as stark as around Alex, in fact much more so.

Not going as far south as Central Otago - that'll be a future trip.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Great variety of views and conditions today - no drizzle or thunderstorms, but that's fine. I'll have to hope the photos do it some justice. Sun to liquid sunshine to steady rain as I drove up the Ohau road. Liked the lodge ("apres-ski" for the season - empty - great! - Do I hear the ghost of Gary Roberts?), funny old-fashioned place with new outbuildings and an ancient map on the wall of the South Island on its side. Lake looked great even in the rainy parts.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Glorious morning here at Tekapo for my trip back to Ch'ch. Will take the semi-inland route. :D
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Great drive from Tekapo to Ch'ch via Rakaia/Coleridge y'day. Saw building clouds on Mt Hutt midday, when elsewhere was clear or just a little "Cu hu", and guessed that it signalled a general clouding-over later.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Pleasant y'day in Nelson with increasing cloud in the afternoon, a few spots overnight. Now mild and humid with a few sunny peeps but a lot of cloud to the west, south and east. Expect significant rain later today in Sounds.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Didn't get the rain, just variations between low misty cloud and sunny parts. Got greta sunset shots from the ferry. :D
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Just made sure you went to the right places at the time to avoid the rain.
RWood wrote:Didn't get the rain, just variations between low misty cloud and sunny parts. Got greta sunset shots from the ferry. :D
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Indeed, the only rain experience I had was engineered - drove up lake Ohau road in a NW situation with alpine rain. Went thru' about 5 different weather phases from bright sunshine to steady light rain - and then reversed the process by leaving. :)