Overcast damp week ahead 10th-14th Dec

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZstorm

Overcast damp week ahead 10th-14th Dec

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looking at the weatherzone satellite pic tonight I don't think I have seen so much cloud covering the Tasman/NZ.
Looking like it may be the weekend before we see the sun out in Auckland again! And with the upper air being so warm it's hard to see too much in the way of interesting convection occuring anywhere in NZ this week.
David

Re: Overcast damp week ahead 10th-14th Dec

Unread post by David »

What annoys me is that we have overcast skies, strong E/NE, yet no rain, as was predicted today. Also this looks to be the third night with a high minimum, and if it stays overcast during this next week it looks to continue :|
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Should see some brighter weather this afternoon.
I've been trying to finish a job ( for the last 10 days) which requires some early morning photo's of sunrise at Tutukaka Northland , hard to see a sunny morning in those long range charts for east coast Northland. ](*,)
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

i love tutukaka. go there for holidays and its bloody nice.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

As the axis of the trough shifts further west we should see a clearance of the high cloud and brighter warmer weather in Auckland by about Thursday though still lots of low clouds hanging around. I can't say I have ever been to Tutukaka.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I can't say I have ever been to Tutukaka.
Go after La lina has finished ;)
gllitz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gllitz »

I'm sure others have noticed, but the recent forecast high temps by the M/S for CHCH have been shocking for the past two days...
At first yesterday was only meant to be 23...then went to 29, and ended up somewhere around 31!?!?! :shock:
Today has almost been the same...a bit of a roller-coaster ride...yesterday they said today was going to be 31C, this morning it was only going to 23C, and right now it is sitting on 27C and f/c has changed BACK to 30C...arrggh!

It DOES make a difference when you are trying to plan your day and get the kids appropriately dressed, etc....any ideas???
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Look at how much the Tasman Sea has warmed up over the last couple of weeks...
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/i ... jsp?c=ssta
SST's around Lord Howe Island up to 24C

Signs that it's responsible for the increased rainfall on the cards over Westland and the increased foehn effect for Canterbury/Marlborough.

Cloudy, warm and mostly dry here in Hamilton the last couple of days.. 22C/16C now at the airport.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

gllitz wrote:I'm sure others have noticed, but the recent forecast high temps by the M/S for CHCH have been shocking for the past two days...
At first yesterday was only meant to be 23...then went to 29, and ended up somewhere around 31!?!?! :shock:
Today has almost been the same...a bit of a roller-coaster ride...yesterday they said today was going to be 31C, this morning it was only going to 23C, and right now it is sitting on 27C and f/c has changed BACK to 30C...arrggh!

It DOES make a difference when you are trying to plan your day and get the kids appropriately dressed, etc....any ideas???
And now its back to 23 again, we are almost as cold as Auckland and Hamilton today :P :lol:
Christchurch Rocks
Inny Binny

Unread post by Inny Binny »

Hmmm, don't know what Metservice are up to at the moment...going all over the place with their temps - the silly thing is that they changed the daily max forecast for Chch yesterday after the max had been reached...

Loving this rain, though. :D
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

As far as saying what the maximum temperature is going to be, is like a "Nowcasting Scenario" situation, rather than a forecasted maximum.
Tomorrow it will get to 26ºC before the slow moving front/southerly comes through...but then it might only be 19ºC as the front may move over earlier than what is forecasted, with 19ºC reached about 4am ??
Then the maximum will have to be changed as the majority of people will be asleep in bed when the max of 19ºC was reached, so it may only get to 16ºC????
As far as television goes, Jim or Toni Marsh may have to say "Tomorrow for CHCH it will be 26ºC but then it could only be 15ºC depending on the conditions, we will keep you posted on how high it will get as the day goes on" :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Tropical like weather here today with showers on and off, currently 22C with rain and sporadics mixed in.
Its great you can actually work out in the rain and enjoy it, also if you get wet then you will pretty much dry up within 30mins due to the warmth :) .
I cant recall the last time we had such muggy conditions in December certainly has been along time anyway.
Nothing thundery yet, although looks like there might be a weak storm about inland Otago at the moment :-k .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Yes another humid day today, more humid then yesterday fo sure though and warm. I dont think you dry that easerly esp if its been raining and its humid, thats why peoples washing doesn't hardly dry in sub tropic country's so i don't understand how you mean jasestm? i certainly didn't dry up, i was damp all day lol
And yes there might be a storm down south at the moment, see a few strikes going on down there hmm :-k
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Pelorus Pete

Unread post by Pelorus Pete »

Foggy
Can you explain "foehn effect for Canterbury/Marlborough" please
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Beautiful balmy night here! sitting on 20C and humidity is 82%. the puddles outside are warm lol
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

tornadoman18 wrote:Yes another humid day today, more humid then yesterday fo sure though and warm. I dont think you dry that easerly esp if its been raining and its humid, thats why peoples washing doesn't hardly dry in sub tropic country's so i don't understand how you mean jasestm? i certainly didn't dry up, i was damp all day lol
And yes there might be a storm down south at the moment, see a few strikes going on down there hmm :-k
You dry up quicker because of the heat and humidity, when moisture falls it evaporates much quicker in conditions such as todays.
A good example is the roads which after a good 2mm or so dried up quickly and had steam rising from them.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

You dry up quicker because of the heat and humidity,
The higher the humidity, the slower the drying.

Looks like dry weather now into the weekend. May see thunder over NZ next week.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Pelorus Pete wrote:Foggy
Can you explain "foehn effect for Canterbury/Marlborough" please
Hotter nor'westers...

Hottest day since February here with 25C at the airport and 26.6C here in the city and sunshine breaking through.

I think we'll reach 27C tomorrow but with mostly clear skies unlike today... and without a westerly sea breeze to kick in it's going to feel mighty hot. :oops:
Pelorus Pete

Unread post by Pelorus Pete »

Foggy
Does that mean more chance of rain 4us ??? 0r - just winds that will dry what little moisture we have out quicker :cry:
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

A dull week here, but very little precip. After the very high sunshine of the previous 4 months, the cloudiness of this one so far is not too surprising.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

damn hot here in hamilton.

Would be hotter than yesturday id think
David

Unread post by David »

I would have thought that when the skies cleared to sunshine and thin high cloud the temperature would have shot up...
turns out when I checked the thermometer it had gone down 1C. Puzzling that is.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I would have thought that when the skies cleared to sunshine and thin high cloud the temperature would have shot up...
Blame it on the temperature inversion which means the air is cool near the surface. Aucklands 850mb temperature today was 7C and with an onshore breeze our temp was never gonna get very high today. Max given on TV1 was 23C.
David

Unread post by David »

Looking to be some very decent rain from the next low pressure system around the 18th/19th, and there are some hints that we may see unsettled weather over NZ around Christmas, but its a bit far off yet to be accurate.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looks like we will get another dose of humid weather early week with rain and there will be embedded thunderstorms in the north. And looks like cooler weather coming north on Tuesday.