Happy New Year and Welcome to 2008

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Happy New Year and Welcome to 2008

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Happy New Year to all Forum members and I hope everyone had an enjoyable New Years Eve.
I did. I was in bed by 11pm as I had to work today :roll:

Now, back to weather related topics, I was confused on the TV One weather report tonight when it said that the country's minimum low was 9ºC at Culverden????? [-( It was the same last Friday the 29th of last year.
Surely it would of been about 29ºC as it would of been fine and warm in inland areas today? :?:
Alexandra got to 33ºC and Hanmer would of been about 32ºC, I reckon :-k
Sea breezes kept coastal areas cool today except for Dunedin which got up to 25ºC or was it 22ºC ?
On the TV it said the max was 22ºC when it said earlier that it was 25ºC :? :? :?
confusing really? #-o :?:

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
RWood

Re: Happy New Year and Welcome to 2008

Unread post by RWood »

Ditto John. "Minimum LOW" is what you qoted, and for that 9C sounds a bit high!

Dunedin could be quoted from at least 2 different spots with different daily ranges (airport has warmer days and cooler nights than Musselburgh).
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

sorry #-o , I meant the lowest maximum...silly me [-X
Regarding Dunedin, it showed the city from the citycam, quoting the 25ºC temperature.
Musselborough would be cooler than say the airport, I would reckon ?

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I was up in Hanmer springs today John, it was hot around 27-29C at a rough guess although the N-NE did sneak in at times.
Yes happy new year, I do like the year number 2008 it feels like a solid number well to say anyway :lol: wierd i knw but arnt we all 8-[ .
Just let the days come, and if there is a storm let it be in 2008 :) .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Yes the Culverden 9C was clearly wrong, I noticed that as well. As for Dunedin Airport readings, they are inaccurate anyway as well as being too far away from Dunedin.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

The Dunedin citycam readings would, like so many set up for local ego-boosting on TV, be too high. The Airport has warmer days than Musselburgh but much cooler nights. Overall however Musselburgh has a higher mean than the average Dunedin suburban location, and in fact than that of many spots north of it but not on the coast, because of the relatively high night minima.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

9ºC at Culverden
You would think someone would recognize this as being an error before it went to air .

Great weather to start the NewYear, City beaches were packed yesterday.
Inny Binny
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Inny Binny »

That wretched heat again. :(
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Inny Binny wrote:That wretched heat again. :(
I think it ROCKS! BEACH-GOING weather! It's what summer's about! :-)
I see Jeff's station has gotten to 32.7 b4 the NE kicked in...AND according to M/S it is supposed to go NW later on...bring it ON! :D
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

yes very warm out there, im not sure what the temperature was going to be today, but obviously its around 30C now surly.
Yes happy new year to all people! and to a fantastic storm year HOPEFULLY of course!! :D
Was up in hanmer yesterday and noticed as i was driving along, it was quite dry so not alot rain been i guess.

cheers
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Storm Struck

Up to 29C before the onshore NE kicked in and now back to 26C, should see a hot one tomorrow early 30's i am thinking and maybe something else to watch for ;) .
Interesting the rain radar is obviously picking up precipitation high up in the upper level cloud in south canterbury, as there is precipitation showing in that area but no rain registering in gauges from weather stations around the area.
Cheers
Jason.
melja

Unread post by melja »

mmmm very hot in rangiora, too hot in fact with 34.6c i think the NE wind has some NW/N component in it.

http://rangiora-weather.recwings.com/
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

photo= Sea Breeze Convergence line over Central Auckland this evening, no showers with this one. SouthWesterly pushing into a NorthEasterly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tich

Unread post by tich »

I'm up at Muriwai Beach for a week from New Years Eve. Thought with a La Nina summer predicted, I'd be in for some wet weather, but seems like it's gonna settled and anticyclonic for virtually all of the time I'm here. :)
David

Unread post by David »

Such an unexpected run of fine weather (considering we are in a La Nina)...
and set to continue as well, MS have Auckland getting up to 26 on Friday. 7th day no rain here now, looks like another 4 days after this. If we manage 12 days with no rain, then that surpasses my previous record driest period of 11 days over 15th-25th Jan07.
janewaystv

Unread post by janewaystv »

Yep David, weather has been excellent here all week, been doing plenty of touristy stuff etc. Nice warm days and mild nights, I did find yesterday a bit oppressive at times. Spent the day at St Marys Bay on Tuesday at a friends house, the wind was quite strong from the east during the afternoon but very pleasant. I've noticed the sun here is more stronger and brighter than Sydney, its quite difficult to drive when the sun sets down in the west, have to wear 2 sunglasses :lol:, another thing is the days here are much longer than in Sydney. It's only rained twice since I arrived here 2 weeks ago and that was during the 1st week, so certainly dry here atm.
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Found it very interesting today...quite warm once the clouds moved off...got up to the low 30s by Jeff's and the Burwood w/s...what I found most interesting was at around 5 p.m. today Jeff's station (and Rolleston...see attached) were showing a massive cool-off after the southerly change...temp dropped some 8-10C! However, the Burwood w/s (closest to me)...was still showing ~30C!! WOW! What a difference and not all that far away from each other (10-15km at most?) Even at the time I write this it has only "cooled" off to 25C here in Burwood. I must have been checking at just the right time, as it were...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
Storm Struck

Yes some temperature difference there for sure, must have got to about 28C this morning before the high cloud went over which then would have sat on around 25C.
Then the temperature went up again in the afternoon to 31C with a fresh gusty NW.
Interesting the cooler SW change came through at about 5pm lasted 10 minutes then swung around to the NE which it still is now.
Edit as of 9pm- temperature back up two degrees to 20C with a NW breeze just on sunset.
Looks to be a stronger SW change hitting the deep south at the moment with the passage of the second front, which is why it is pushing a NW flow around again infront of the second one.
Cheers
Jason.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

isn't it funny, I have always wondered why we get NW before A SW?? or S or whatever u wanna call the wind changes from the south.
Again another warm day, this must be one warm summer fo sure coming to grips, we have passed the 30 mark about 4 times atleast this summer already!, great weather but hot to work in!
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz