Dry and hot, North Island, January

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Cameo1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dry and hot, North Island, January

Unread post by Cameo1 »

I am wondering whether if it is worth mentioning a large line of cumulus out west at the moment, but it sure does look impressive :shock:
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Hit 30°C today officially, got to 33° elsewhere. Darn hot evening tonight. 24.6° C outside presently, 55% RH and rising as it's just started drizzling. Oh joy, bring on some cooler weather. frustrating thing is the lack of convection & thunderstorms this summer.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Official reading is for Kawerau in your region, just like Alexandra for Central Otago.
I wish they would put Kawerau as the maximum on the TV One maximum map.
It pisses me off that that they don't do that :evil: :twisted: instead highlighting other places in your region.

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

lack of convection & thunderstorms this summer.
This has to be the most stable summer I have ever experienced. Now that we are at the end of January we could say the summer convective season is over. Generally Feb/Mar are the most stable months of the year.

The S'Westerly breeze over the west of the North Island should ease off this afternoon. Could be a hot afternoon for Auckland with that SW easing. The forecast max of 25C looks on the low side.

By the way TC Gene is moving, slowly toward the SW in the models, there looks to be a chance it will eventually come our way. Heres hoping.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Reckon so far its equal with 1978 but it will have to remain much like it till early April to beat 1978.
NZstorm wrote:

This has to be the most stable summer I have ever experienced. Now that we are at the end of January we could say the summer convective season is over. Generally Feb/Mar are the most stable months of the year.

jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Quite a bit of fog here this morning. The sun is just breaking it up and we should be in for another hot day with no wind to speak of at the moment. High humidity and high dew points will make it a hot uncomfortable day here :roll: .
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Not even the afternoon Sea Breeze convergence build ups/showers this year :o
I see this mornings ECMWF suggests a cold trough pushing up from the South on to NZ next week , likely to change though.
jrj

Unread post by jrj »

This is the sort of Summer that nostagic folks say that they used to have every year when they were young :D
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

If they were around in the 50s they've forgotten the "summers" of 1951/2, 1952/3, 1957/8 for starters :?
TokWW

Unread post by TokWW »

Fog here in Sth Waikato too, but it lifted by 9am or so. Heading for another scorcher = 27.5ºC already... (27deg was TV1's forecast), and WxSim was 28ºC so I think it will get to 32 deg by my reckoning... nearly clear skies.
A Father can have a hobby because he is the Transport, Referee, Manager, Committee Member Dad!!
LaCrosse WS-2308CH, Sharp VideoCam, ULD Lightning Radar
http://www.inmanavenue.com/
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Today is going to be really hot. Many places edging 30 already and a few are already over 30 :shock: :shock:

MS wernt forcasting it to be this hot. I think they will be having to revise their MAX temps shortly :-k
tich

Unread post by tich »

Just got back from a few days in Nelson this afternoon - warm and sunny up there. Lucky they got some rain from the remains of Funa.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Damn hot and sticky here today. Just a few mins ago it looked as though we were going to get a drop or two of rain, but we didnt even get a drop. Those blask clouds have come off the Ragland hills and are moving east.
Vertigo

Unread post by Vertigo »

some quite impressive cloud build-up in auckland today, very large, very dark, and very thunder-looking. not sure if itll produce anything however.
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Produced a few short sharp showers in the city while I was driving through
janewaystv

Unread post by janewaystv »

RWood wrote:If they were around in the 50s they've forgotten the "summers" of 1951/2, 1952/3, 1957/8 for starters :?
Dec 1951 - cold and changeable with very little settled weather.

Jan/Feb 1952 - very cloudy with serious flooding in Northland during the latter (15th - 19th) but dry for eastern areas.

Dec 1952 - Conditions improved from the S & W from the middle with the last week seeing fine, settled weather for the whole country.

Jan 1953 - Very wet in E areas from N Canterbury to Hawkes Bay - wettest Jan in 50 years. Manawatu, Ashley, Clarence and Porangahau Rivers in major floods.

Feb 1953 - Rainfall decreased but remaining cooler and cloudier.

Dec 1957 - Very strong W-SW patterns prevailed causing cloudier, colder and wetter weather for the SI as well as Taranaki, but for Northland/Gisborne - much drier than usual. Canterbury rivers ran at flood levels during the last week, The Hermitage (Mt Cook) received 1295mm and Arthurs Pass 1193mm during the whole month.

Jan 1958 - contuining the strong W-SW weather of Dec. 1957 - cloudier & cooler than usual except in the E of the NI/Marlborough, parts of the BOP, Gisborne and HB only recorded 10 - 20% of the normal rainfall.

Feb 1958 - Cloudier, warmer and humid, very wet over the N half of the NI, heavy rain caused widespread flooding in King Country and especially on the Waikato River, in the SI - the Clutha River was in flood during the last half of the month.