Canty T'storms 01/04/2008?

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Re: Canty T'storms 01/04/2008?

Unread post by spwill »

I noticed quite a bit of mammatus cloud around around 6pm as well.. doesn't that preclude thunderstorm activity (
Can do (when it's associated with Cb cloud), there were thunderstorms around Chch at that time to the E/ SE and inland ;)
gllitz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gllitz »

Andrew Massie wrote:I noticed quite a bit of mammatus cloud around around 6pm as well.. doesn't that preclude thunderstorm activity (didn't have camera on me)?
I noticed the same, Andrew...they were off to the N/NE from Burwood...

Interesting events through the afternoon...
I picked up the kids from school around 4:30/5-ish and there was a HUGE amount of wind which seemed to come up all of a sudden...blowing leaves and everything and some pretty impressive gusts...but all from the W/NW! ??
(it was not a cold wind at all)

I then noticed the mammatus about an hour or so later off to the N/NE as the sun was setting...they were actually quite pretty during the sun was setting, as I pointed out to my wife...but I could see off to the SW things weren't so pleasant, and quite dark...and then the rest unfolded as discussed.

Just my $0.02 of observations for the day...
Cheers,
Glenn
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Never saw anything like that from here as I drove into town, well Halswell, about 7:30pm.
Driving down Halswell Juction Rd, I could of seen the southerly front coming through, but it was just low stratus coming in from the south ??
The skies were clearing overhead and just to the north of ChCh, from what I saw?
Yes, I was at a morris dancing practice when the lightning and thunder came through at 9pm.
What a bugger :shock: #-o

JohnGaul
NZTS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Andrew Massie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

Are you allowed to morris dance 'commando'?!! :lol: :lol:
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

A bit late - still sorting through pictures from last week.

Captured just after 4pm in Akaroa - within about a minute it went from very still with the water almost dead calm and oily, to blowing maybe 20-30 knots with belting rain.

Is this what the South Island folk would call a southerly buster?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.