Video of clouds

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Video of clouds

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

From saturday,9th august, when a low and warm front rolled over the top of the area :)
http://www.weather-display.com/windy/alldaymovie.htm
(note, will take a while to load! (once loaded it will repeat faster and be much better) (runs through to 10:30pm))
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
David

Re: Video of clouds

Unread post by David »

Cool! The direction of the clouds changes so many times! It is interesting to see the low level clouds moving in a completely different direction to the upper level clouds.

So I guess this is why in some 'frontal rain' situations heavier bursts seem to move in a different direction the front is actually travelling? (steady rain falls from strati-forms travelling with upper wind flow and heavier bursts fall from lower-based cumuli-forms traveling with the lower level wind flow). Is this right?

You had quite a cold day there, it got to 12.4oC here that day.
Manukau heads obs

Hi
yes, for rain that is falling from a upper layer of cloud , that is moving different to the surface windspeed, then you cant look into where the wind is coming from to know when the next burst of heavy rain is coming

yes, the video , from saturday, shows a good example of 3 different wind directions at different heights occuring at the same time :)
(re the temperature, I am at nearly 300 feet altitude, so am about 0.5 to 0.8 oC colder than places closer to sea level)
Paul Mallinson
Meteorologist (Retired)

Unread post by Paul Mallinson »

Very interesting video Brian. I always enjoy watching time lapse movies of clouds. They reveal processes that aren't so obvious when just looking at the sky in real time.

Paul
Manukau heads obs

what was also good about that day was the light winds....and so relatively slow cloud movement...and so it looked alot smoother than other days (where the clouds end up racing by too fast! :)

(every day there is a new all day video on my site (and last hour and last 10 minutes too) :)