September 2008

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Nev

September 2008

Unread post by Nev »

Here's NIWA's preliminary 'September 2008 - National Climate Summary' (pdf)

Mean temps were above average for most of the country. The national average temp was 0.7°C above normal, with areas of South Canterbury and Central Otago recording more than twice that.

Timaru recorded the country's highest T-max of 26.8°C on the 23rd, which was its highest September temp since records began in 1885. September records were also broken on the same day in other eastern areas such as Dunedin (25.6°C), Kaikoura (25.5°C) and Nugget Point (23.9°C). Interestingly, the same NW'ers that caused those high temps also brought the month's highest 1-day rainfall of 236 mm to Mount Cook.

Of the 5 main centres, Auckland was the warmest and sunniest, Wellington the wettest and cloudiest, and Christchurch the coldest and driest. Wellington's rainfall was 180% of normal. Note that although Auckland's mean temp based on Mangere in the south was officially 0.3°C below average, Whangaparaoa to the north was 1.0°C above normal.

I think that Auckland's more central Owairaka site may have been retired. Perhaps RWood may be able to confirm this?
David

Re: September 2008

Unread post by David »

Ahh, I was wondering why there was a bigger difference than usual between my reading and the official reading. When they use Owairaka rainfall data often it is quite close to what I record. Going through the national climate database I have discovered the last rainfall reading at Owairaka was on the 16th September. Would be a pity to retire the site as it has good rainfall records for almost 60 years.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

Note that although Auckland's mean temp based on Mangere in the south was officially 0.3°C below average
which is very much inline with what I recorded, and posted about a few days ago (but which was not representative of the whole country it turned out :)

ps, re the max gust speed, it would be good if they could maybe remove places that are so exposed they always are the max (castelpoint, nugget point)
(maybe a separate record with those places removed, (just an idea, not going to happen)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Myself
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Myself »

Manukau heads observer wrote:
Note that although Auckland's mean temp based on Mangere in the south was officially 0.3°C below average
which is very much inline with what I recorded, and posted about a few days ago (but which was not representative of the whole country it turned out :)

ps, re the max gust speed, it would be good if they could maybe remove places that are so exposed they always are the max (castelpoint, nugget point)
(maybe a separate record with those places removed, (just an idea, not going to happen)
And Manukau Heads? ;)
The winds that always go down with the highest gusts (Bean Rock being another) are probably there in the first place for forecasting marine winds. I don't think it's unreasonable to keep them in the climate summary at the end of the month.
If they got pulled out and placed separately, soon enough we'd find patterns with those that remain, and want to pull out those that always record the max too....
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

David wrote:Ahh, I was wondering why there was a bigger difference than usual between my reading and the official reading. When they use Owairaka rainfall data often it is quite close to what I record. Going through the national climate database I have discovered the last rainfall reading at Owairaka was on the 16th September. Would be a pity to retire the site as it has good rainfall records for almost 60 years.
Am still overseas. Glad to miss half of an atypical Sept. for Wgton (last in sun for 5M, very rare indeed). if you look up Owairaka on Cliflo and check station notes they will eventually say if it's closed.