Weather on your iPhone or Touch

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
watling
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weather on your iPhone or Touch

Unread post by watling »

Maybe this sounds like a blatant advertisement, but I expect any of you that use this site, that own an iPhone or iPod Touch would like to know of a product I've developed especially for you all.

'WeatherNZ' is a native iPhone/Touch application that displays the latest forecast and observation data from our own MetService of NZ. Of course, its much more accurate than the data that you see with the built in apps the phone ships with, plus lets you view the latest analysis chart, Snow reports and Primary/Secondary tide information for any port around New Zealand.

The company behind it has a web site here http://www.orsome.co.nz or if you want a link directly to the app, here is your link http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 95663&mt=8

I expect quite a few of you here have already bought it, as this program was the #1 seller here in NZ for a couple of weeks last month. There is also a link on that page to submit any feedback or let me know of on any features you would like to see added. Enjoy!

Peter.
Manukau heads obs

Re: Weather on your iPhone or Touch

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

Hi
I have a demand to get a page formated for weather data from my software (i.e to show current weather data from your own electronic weather station on a iphone)
Just wondering if you could help me with that project?
thanks!
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Typing this on my ipod touch btw....

Good app but I would like to see the time of update, how long ago etc. And any chance of adding a sat image or rain radar along with the synopsis? Keep it up
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

We must be able to live without those yuppy things,Just look out the window like we used to or wait for the paper.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Michael wrote:We must be able to live without those yuppy things
Sorry Michael, it's the information age. These devices just make it even easier for us.

If you really feel that way, then you had better get rid of your computer quick smart.
watling

Unread post by watling »

Fujita Phil wrote:Typing this on my ipod touch btw....

Good app but I would like to see the time of update, how long ago etc. And any chance of adding a sat image or rain radar along with the synopsis? Keep it up
When you tap on a urban area, it shows the latest observation data just above the wind speed. That's a clue as to how old the data is... Its generally about an hour behind real time. The chart get checked only every 4 hours, and the tide data just goes to get new data once a week.
watling

Unread post by watling »

Manukau heads observer wrote:Hi
I have a demand to get a page formated for weather data from my software (i.e to show current weather data from your own electronic weather station on a iphone)
Just wondering if you could help me with that project?
thanks!
If the wx station was visible to the outside world over the net, and there was a standard way to query its content, it wouldnt be too hard. Im a bit busy to offer any sort of training, but could give you some places to look for if you wanted to start learning Cocoa yourself.
watling

Unread post by watling »

Michael wrote:We must be able to live without those yuppy things,Just look out the window like we used to or wait for the paper.
My iPhone app shows portions of the same data, from the same supplier, that will be shown in the paper... Only diff is the paper is a snapshot of the data at the time the page was made, and the phone is pretty much a live view on the feed as it changes. Also, you have to buy the paper every day, and the app only once... When you are interested in data that "changes like the weather" Its hard to beat something that is online.

Having said that, the printed pages are full of loads of valuable content, and very nice to look at. Anyone who knows my background would realise my programs play a big part in generating those too. :-)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

watling wrote:My iPhone app shows portions of the same data, from the same supplier, that will be shown in the paper... Only diff is the paper is a snapshot of the data at the time the page was made, and the phone is pretty much a live view on the feed as it changes. Also, you have to buy the paper every day, and the app only once... When you are interested in data that "changes like the weather" Its hard to beat something that is online.

Having said that, the printed pages are full of loads of valuable content, and very nice to look at. Anyone who knows my background would realise my programs play a big part in generating those too. :-)
I prefer a book or a paper,its better on your eyes and easier to read,also we have PCs (with much cheaper data) if you want up to date data,yes the phone maybe one off price but you pay high data charges for downloading on those things.
Manukau heads obs

ah, its an actual program, compiled to run on the Iphone, as opposed to a web location you browse to
I do have a mac, and compiler, etc...:)
watling

Unread post by watling »

Manukau heads observer wrote:ah, its an actual program, compiled to run on the Iphone, as opposed to a web location you browse to
I do have a mac, and compiler, etc...:)
Your native app would still pull its data over the IP network. This isn't really the forum to talk about development. Go search in google for cocoa and iPhone. there's lots of places to learn whats involved.
Manukau heads obs

ok,will do a search...something new to place with! (and as if I dont have enough to do already)
watling

Unread post by watling »

For those that think these apps are expensive, I've dropped the price down to a dollar for this week. Now you have no excuses. :-)