Warm and Dry for the East...Again

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jamie

Re: Warm and Dry for the East...Again

Unread post by jamie »

:lol: well done TVNZ. I think going by my childhood education the number 45 is higher than high 30's :B
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The Met Service say Kerikeri in Northland had NZ hottest official temperature yesterday with 37.6C recorded.

Nice to see the back of the SW today.
Myself
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Myself »

NZstorm wrote:The Met Service say Kerikeri in Northland had NZ hottest official temperature yesterday with 37.6C recorded.

Nice to see the back of the SW today.
That's absurd, and utterly wrong surely. Bay of Islands got to 28C....Kerikeri 10C warmer? No way.
TokWW

Unread post by TokWW »

32.2ºC was recorded yesterday in Kerikeri on a friend's PWS... sounds much more plausible! Are you sure it wasn't Kaiteriteri they were talking about?

http://www.weather.radioyachting.com/
Myself

Unread post by Myself »

TokWW wrote:32.2ºC was recorded yesterday in Kerikeri on a friend's PWS... sounds much more plausible! Are you sure it wasn't Kaiteriteri they were talking about?

http://www.weather.radioyachting.com/
Even 32C sounds a bit excessive, but almost believable.
Kaiteriteri would struggle to reach 38C also. I'd say it would be almost impossible there actually.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Only on the exceptional 7/2/1973 has the Tasman region reached about the 36C mark, though more locally in Jan 1960 Appleby had 96.7F (35.9C). Kaiteriteri is too seabound for even that one would think.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

there was 29C recorded in places where the NE and SW winds met around auckland yesterday, and so where that same thing was happening in the far north, you could easily add a few more degrees to that again (but I dont know about 37!)
The patchy thin high cloud actualy helped to disperse the sun and make that reflect of things and actualy increased the heating I think
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Thought it might be interesting to see what the 'Gisborne Herald' and 'Hawke's Bay Today' had to say about Sunday's temps. Note that NIWA had 37.3°C for Wairoa and MetService 34.6C for the NE Mahia Peninsula. Both stories sort-of start off ok, quoting official figures, but then go on to quote a few unofficial figures. Here are a few of the following excerpts (Waerenga-o-Kuri is about 20 km W of Gisborne btw)...
'Region bakes as mercury hits 40'
Gisborne Herald - Monday, 2 February 2009

...At Wairoa, the official high of 39 is believed to have set a new record.

...Inland from Manutuke, Gisborne district councillor Graeme Thomson said he recorded 43 degrees in the shade at his home, where the aluminium handle of his ranchslider door was too hot to touch.

At Waerenga-o-Kuri, 1100 feet above sea level, it reached a similar level, topping the 40-degree mark in the shade.

Temperatures in the 40s were also recorded at Onenui Station on the northern side of the Mahia Peninsula. ...
'Records boil over as temps hit 30s'
Hawke's Bay Today - 02.02.2009 - JOE DAWSON

...But Hawke's Bay Today's weather watchers around the region said it was even hotter.

Bay View's Alistair Dennis said the thermometer at his Seafield Rd property showed temperatures into the 40s, and one caller said the Esk Valley hit 44C. ...

A grapegrower in the Gimblett Gravels said a pulsating 47C was the high there. ...
#-o
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

A few decades ago there was a short report in our papers from NSW, where someone around Broken Hill or the like had reported a temp. of 66C or about 150F. :lol: #-o
gopolks

Unread post by gopolks »

WTF??????

Hot enough for ya.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Looks like the chance of drizzle for Christchurch is very low indeed now and dry conditions to continue for another week. Possibly very warm in the weekend. Next tuesday however looks like there could be some chance in the weather systems as a tropical low looks as if its moving down the east coast of Aussie and heading acorss the tasmen to the South Island. Yes sure i know its a week away and that can change so quick but thats the first system like this we have seen appearing on the Metservice 7 day time runs for quite some time. Something to keep an eye on.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Moderators...not to be a party pooper or anything, but isn't this topic beginning to ramble a bit? Hmmm...gee...it's summer...and it's warm, sometimes HOT outside...shock and horror! :eek: 0_o

It's nice to read about extremes and all, but...yeah, well, I leave it to you. :wave: :-w
"Saru mo ki kara ochiru"
melja

Unread post by melja »

Well dont read it then :?: I think its good to have a topic open to just have a good chat about the daily weather and with all the hot weather we are having why not _b
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I must admit the start to February has been a little on the cooler side, only 3 days in i know but an exceptional change compared to January.
This morning wasnt too bad getting up to 22C at 11am, but the afternoon was smatterd in scrappy high cloud.
Front page of the press today was talking about the hot January for Canterbury, but only mentioned the highest temperature being 37C in Culverdon on the 8th January.
This was the schorcher day that seen temperatures around 38-40C in some suburbs, i even recall the press talking about those temperatures back then :lol: :rolleyes: drips.
Alot of walking tracks and forest land is now closed off across Canterbury due to such extreme fire risks, a fire damaged a large area of bush near Hanmer Springs not long ago.
Heatwaves in the southern hemisphere and cold outbreaks in the northern both breaking records, anyone see a trend forming :-w :-# .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Some morning rain here this morning in Christchurch, first time iv very long time. The radar shows the band has moved into north Canterbury. 1.4mm recorded. That will be soaked up by the end of Friday with 27 forecast and temps likely to reach into the 30's
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Yes some cooler air reaching the south at times now.
A long way out but ECMWF has a major upper level trough moving onto NZ from the west next week, would be some good rain with that.