Picture(s) of the day

For general weather and landscape photos
Lacertae
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Picture(s) of the day

Unread post by Lacertae »

I don't think we've got a topic where to display our pictures of ... whatever, your dog, your family, you at the top of a mountain, a funny cloud, etc ...
They can be weather related or not, doesn't matter as long as they are recent, so post them here. ;)

I will start with nice wee clouds pushed by a weak SW seen this morning while walking on Mount Vernon Track (last pic is Rapaki Track).
mt_vernon1.jpg
mt_vernon2.jpg
mt_vernon3.jpg
track.jpg
And last night from my place :
etourneau.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lacertae on Mon 25/04/2011 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
The Earth has music for those who listen.
DT-NZ

Re: Picture(s) of the day

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Lacertae wrote:I don't think we've got a topic where to display our pictures of ... whatever, your dog, your family, you at the top of a mountain, a funny cloud, etc ...
They can be weather related or not, doesn't matter as long as they are recent, so post them here. ;)

I will start with nice wee clouds pushed by a weak SW (convergence zone ?) seen this morning while walking on Mount Vernon Track (last pic is Rapaki Track).
Hi Lacertae,

Great idea and great pic's too _b , nice to see your part of the country - can see enjoy being outdoors in nature, alright I'll go look for a pic, take care.
Lightning in NZ
The right terminology lends a hint as to the nature of the different forms.
A Vertigo Quote.
Lacertae

Woke up early yesterday to walk to Godley Head from Scarborough, hoping to be there on time for the sunrise. Unfortunately I was 30 minutes late, but it was still beautiful !
godley_head.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lacertae

I went fishing on the western shores of Lake Ellesmere (caught nothing ...) and the sky was pretty "funny" this afternoon ! Nothing exciting in the end, but on the moment it looked good ... :rolleyes:
A great thanks to Jasestrm and 03Stormchaser for their time and help ! ;)
peninsula1.jpg
peninsula2.jpg
19-03-09-pan.jpg
ellesmere.jpg
And on the way back home I spotted a Royal Spoonbill fighting for its food with a Seagull ! :eek:
spoonbill.jpg
Lacertae

Quite "bubbly" today ...
20-03-09-01.jpg
20-03-09-02.jpg
20-03-09-03.jpg
20-03-09-04.jpg
20-03-09-05.jpg
Dale

Unread post by Dale »

Have done the Godley Head walk a few times, mum lives down along Nayland St.
Truly a magical view from up there at sunrise (or any other time of the day for that matter)
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Seen those clouds too today as per my text to you Lacertae, didnt eventuate into anything thundery but i still knew a few days ago there would be some form of slight instability about today.
Ended up being some convergence CU build ups from afternoon with a NE/SW affect, as i noticed the wind kept shifting from NE to SW for about an hour between 3-4pm and finally settling on SW by 5pm.
These kind of conditions and cloud types are good for funnel clouds normally, the tops were being capped off at about 2000m i would roughly say.
Here's a few photo's myself.
Cheers
Jason.
random 009.JPG
random 010.JPG
random 011.JPG
random 012.JPG
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Lacertae

Interesting ... I almost expected to see a funnel cloud (or even a waterspout, why not ?) on yesterday but not on today.
I will keep it in mind for the next time. :mrgreen:
Storm Struck

Lacertae is there any way of attracting Bellbirds to your property?.
There's a Bell Bird that hangs around down the road at the local golf course, and twice this week it has flown into our native trees around our yard with such a beautiful song.
Ive been trying to capture photo's of it just because of how rare they are to be this close to the coast, normally they are up in the foothills or on BP.
I was hoping our big native Beech trees would attract them.
Cheers
Jason.
Lacertae

Lacertae is there any way of attracting Bellbirds to your property?.
Er ... having native trees producing nectar and fruits may be ? :?:
I'm not sure to be honest ... it's a territorial bird during breeding season, but nomadic and solitary otherwise and I don't know if you can have enough native shrubs and trees on your property to create a big enough feeding ground to "keep" one or more Bellbirds all year long.
They like insects too. Rotten pieces of wood attracting beetles and spiders might help.

There's a Bell Bird that hangs around down the road at the local golf course, and twice this week it has flown into our native trees around our yard with such a beautiful song.
I've been trying to capture photo's of it just because of how rare they are to be this close to the coast, normally they are up in the foothills or on BP.
According to the "Atlas of Bird Distribution in New Zealand", the Bellbirds tend to be closer to the coast in the colder months.

I was hoping our big native Beech trees would attract them.
I don't think a Beech tree will attract Bellbirds ... they probably prefer what the Wood Pigeons like.

Try to contact Andrew Crossland, a Park Ranger from the Christchurch City Council. He knows the birds around the City really well and will probably be of some help.

EDIT : I've just found this on the Forest & Bird website :
http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/saving- ... our-garden
Lacertae

Went fishing to Lake Clearwater and Lake Camp today an all what I bring back is a few pictures ... and I've lost 2 spinners ... >_<
clearwater01.jpg
clearwater02.jpg
clearwater03.jpg
lake_camp1.jpg
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

After waiting a month and a half to get my little camera fixed under warranty i decided to go out get some exercise and watch the sunrise from Mt Eden thismorning. Nothing special about it but i just thought i would share.

There was a strage pocket of fog (the only fog in the rgion that i could see) form thismorning in a place im not sure of sorry. Dont know my suburbs over the bridge very well. Was neat to watch it form and move up the little gully.
Lacertae

Thanks for sharing with us !
And what's on the head of the person on the left ?
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Not to sure. She was Maori so im thinking a greenstone pendant thing (i forget the real name of them :oops:) and the others i gather had not long been in the country.
David

Unread post by David »

Brilliant pictures Jamie. It has been such a beautiful week (sunny every day Mon-Fri) that I decided to take a few pictures in Albert Park (Auckland City) this morning before my 10am lecture. These were taken just after 9.30am.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

lol i saw that photo J.. me..h and first thoughts by just looking that particular photo i thought they may have been statues.. but yeah nice pics everyone!
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Lacertae

Today I went on Arthur's Pass amongst 60 other volunteers under the supervision of ECan to cut down pine trees where they grow out of control (self-seeded ones). The day was superb and the location very beautiful ! The pictures don't make it justice but it gives a bit of an idea :
flock_hill.jpg
pan_flock_hill.jpg
clouds.jpg
mare_tails.JPG
Last edited by Lacertae on Sat 28/03/2009 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Beautiful photos Lacertae! :drool: I like what you've done with the black widescreen bars on the 1st photo.

Here's a photo of a curious cow I took a few weeks ago
Lacertae

:lol: That cow looks like my sister's dog ! I'll forward her the picture I think. :mrgreen:
I like what you've done with the black widescreen bars on the 1st photo.
I usually do it when I've got a bit of time to prepare the picture before posting it on the forum. It brings a bit of dynamic into it. But unfortunately it doesn't work so well on weather pictures ... :rolleyes:
Storm Struck

I have done some cutting down of juvenille pine trees up in the Porters Pass area on rather steep slopes riddled with matagauri ouchies.
On the second to last shot did you cut down the big pine Lacertae?.
The flower from up above looks like a hybrid developed Melhenbeklia flower, although if you look at it long enough the petals have a shiny crystal look to them possibly indicating the plant could be a form of a suculant.
Try posting the photo on Trade Me Lacertae in the community forum, there is a landscape & Garden section there which is great for advice.
I will take some photo's tomorrow on my morning walk i do in Kaiapoi, the council has upgraded new pathways through some of the parks and along the river side which is just wonderful at this time of the year with the willows starting to get some colour.
Cheers
Jason.
Lacertae

Jasestrm wrote:On the second to last shot did you cut down the big pine Lacertae?
No, someone came with a chainsaw for this one. ;)
Jasestrm wrote:The flower from up above looks like a hybrid developed Melhenbeklia flower, although if you look at it long enough the petals have a shiny crystal look to them possibly indicating the plant could be a form of a suculant.
The leaves and steam didn't look like a succulent but I could easily be wrong. I will do some research tomorrow if I've got some time.
It had a great reactivity to sunlight. My backpack was creating some shade on it and within 45 - 60 minutes the flower wasn't opened anymore ...
Lacertae

On my way to work yesterday.
31-03-09.jpg
Lacertae

I got up early this morning (5:30) to go in town and try some black and white imaging with foggy and frosty atmosphere. Not great results but a good training as I'm not used to take this kind of picture ...
cinema.jpg
golf.jpg
fern.jpg
superintendent.jpg
generations.jpg
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Goodmorning,

A few early fog images taken over the weekend from Hukerenui.

Hukerenui is a place that produces (imho) stunning rainbows and fogbows - when these spectacular atmospheric optic's present they are clear and vibrant rich in colour. Hope you enjoy these as much as I did taking them, it certainly was a wonderful way to begin the day.

All images taken on a Canon Powershot A501S (nifty little thing) stitched and merged using HP image zone plus. Images were taken on the 28th and 29th March 2009. Take care.
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.
DT-NZ

Unread post by DT-NZ »

Lacertae wrote:I got up early this morning (5:30) to go in town and try some black and white imaging with foggy and frosty atmosphere. Not great results but a good training as I'm not used to take this kind of picture ...
Hi Lacertae,

Some good bw pictures - light not too bad, what camera do you use? just a thought have you tried adjusting the camera's asa opps iso settings and playing around with it under different light settings? (take a few test shots) tweak the camera's con, hue and sat settings - enable the camera's histogram feature.... anyway, nice moody pictures, I love bw imagery. take care.
Lightning in NZ
A Vertigo Quote.