Glaciers

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
southernthrash
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Glaciers

Unread post by southernthrash »

Manukau heads observer wrote:how about you guys opening your eyes and minds (i.e be more open minded) to other ideas as well
i.e that the glaciers are getting smaller and are retreating, in response to a warmer trend
(thats all thats is being discussed, nothing more, nothing less)(i.e it does not discuss if that warming trend is going to continue (global warming) or similar, its just stating that glaciers are a good barometer

also, comparing photos from the same angle and perspective is OK in my book (even if it might not be as good as some other method) (and no point in changing the method now, best to keep the same method going so can use past comparisons)
whats is important is the photo is take from the same spot, same angle, same time every year
which they have been
and they are showing a trend of decreasing ice accumulation (i.e melting earlier in spring and freezing later in autumn)
I'm not debating the idea that the glaciers are getting smaller, I spend a hell of a lot of time on and around the big three glaciers, the change is evident on much shorter timescales than a year. The issue with these glaciers (Tasman, Hooker, Mueller) is that they now terminate in proglacial lakes, and this causes the retreat to become decoupled from direct climatic factors (internal vs external forcing). Once a glacier begins to terminate in a proglacial lake they become a less robust indicator of climatic change.

This is especially so in the instance of Tasman Glacier/Tasman Lake, where you now have a second, moderately large, river flowing into Tasman Lake since the mid 1990's. This has increased the temperature of the lake, and modified the currents within the lake, which is recognised to have significantly contributed to accelerating calving of the Tasman Glacier. The cause of this was a landslide on Botanical Spur. The other glaciers have experienced relatively slow proglacial lake growth.

Estimating glacier mass balance from photo's is widely recognised as being highly fickle. There are a lot of factors which cannot easily be accounted for, ie the most recent snow fall, wind direction/drifting and avalanching, to name a few, which all alter the apparent position of the EL. This is why field studies are much more robust, as the relative height of the glacier surface is measured, providing a direct measurement of the accumulation/ablation, and the accurate determination of ELA. Using photos, the ELA is determined purely based on tonal/textural differences of the snow/ice. Infrared bands of remote sensing devices can provide much more powerful analysis in this regard.

I am not disputing change in glaciers, merely trying to highlight some of the limitations of the techniques that have been used, and why we should be wary of this data. There is a fair bti of direct mass balance measurement occurring in New Zealand at the present time, which should make for some interesting publications over the next couple of years.
southernthrash

RWood wrote:To repeat: if you (two) think the scientists are implying something incorrect about the "glacier status", let's see you challenge them directly by communicating with them. My pick is that you won't, among the reasons being that at least one of you is probably a cheerleader for skifield interests. You are both anonymous here, for a start. And as for sthguy - some while back you horned in on a straightforward conversation between me and another (former) member about Invercargill's climate response to a La Nina situation with totally irrelevant and irritating nonsense.
You make some hilariously irrational statements at times. Cheerleaders for skifield interests? The biggest interest for skifields currently is investigation of higher altitude resorts, as the IPCC has recognised that there will likely be much greater snowfall in NZ above about 2200 m in the coming years...

But seriously, I don't mind the anonymity, if there is anyone here that I really must meet through what I do, then I am sure that will occur in due course.

All I have tried to do here is highlight some of the limitations of this study, something which ANY scientist SHOULD always be mindful of. Do you take everything you see at face value RWood?
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Let's cut to the chase: The NIWA article contains the following conclusion:

"...With more warming expected during the 21st century, further large losses of ice in the Southern Alps are very likely."

If you agree with this statement or are neutral about it, then one can wonder why you would bother reacting the way you did, and what your motivation is.

If you disagree, then you should be prepared to challenge the so-called "orthodoxy" in a more public fashion, and make it clear where you're coming from. Anybody browsing a publicly accessible forum like this is entitled to know what you're getting at.
sthguy

Unread post by sthguy »

And as for sthguy - some while back you horned in on a straightforward conversation between me and another (former) member about Invercargill's climate response to a La Nina situation with totally irrelevant and irritating nonsense.
Oh sorry. I thought this was a 'forum' :lol:
I stand by every single statistic I presented to forum members in that thread. They are welcome to research the subject themselves and cast judgement. I welcome it.
To repeat: if you (two) think the scientists are implying something incorrect about the "glacier status", let's see you challenge them directly by communicating with them. My pick is that you won't, among the reasons being that at least one of you is probably a cheerleader for skifield interests. You are both anonymous here, for a start.
I actually do have conversations with NIWA climate scientists on a range of matters, as recently as two weeks ago, not that it's of any concern of yours.
Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get.
sthguy

Unread post by sthguy »

I have edited a portion of the comment I made in the above post out, as it was made in anger.

However the comment
My pick is that you won't, among the reasons being that at least one of you is probably a cheerleader for skifield interests. You are both anonymous here, for a start.
is so far off topic as not to be funny anymore.
i'd like to see the points addressed not the people personally attacked. This is classic shoot the messenger and ignore all points raised.
Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I had a broken window once so I called in a Glacier to repair it.
He said his name was Fox.
So he repaired it.
What a pain. :-$

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

sorry, James I meant a pain, as well as a pane :?: :wave:

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

...sorry, lost the origional posting of yours????

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
southernthrash

Indeed, a look at some of Chinn's earlier work reveals that, aside from those glaciers terminating in lakes, there has been a general trend of increase in glacier size until recent years, with included variation ofcourse.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

early indications are that they are still shrinking after another warm year.

What I would like to see is the exact measurements once the survey of the glaciers is complete this year.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Who are you meant to be quoting Steven? #-o
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The story above, it will be TVNZ. The essence of the story is that ther glaciers have shrunk in the past 12months but they don't provide any details. Would be interesting to know the details once the survey is complete.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Ah! Thanks for that. Gets confusing sometimes. :smile:
tich

Unread post by tich »

I visited Fox and Franz Joseph earlier this week. Signs by the access roads and tracks showed that the both glaciers extended about halfway down towards the start of the road in 1750, and that they retreated through the 19th and 20th Century. (though with some advances)

BTW, some tourists can be very stupid - saw a couple walking right up to the face of the Fox past the warning signs, and the guy actually walked into a small ice cave. Possible candidate for the Darwin Awards. (2 Aussie visitors were killed there a few months ago)
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

yes, just as those glaciers can grow alot, they can shrink alot....its like a magnified barometer movement....small changes lead to big changes sort of thing
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Yes, la Nina will reduce rainfall over the Alps and warm temps up a bit.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The climate data I've looked at (Haast, Hokitika,Westport) for the West Coast for the 12months to end of Feb show an average year for temperature. Winter rainfall was down but summer rainfall up. If if the Glaciers have shrunk, its not because 2008 was a particularly warm year over recent previous years. But NIWA really should have completed the survey and finalised the facts before issuing media releases.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

tich wrote:I visited Fox and Franz Joseph earlier this week. Signs by the access roads and tracks showed that the both glaciers extended about halfway down towards the start of the road in 1750, and that they retreated through the 19th and 20th Century. (though with some advances)

as they will also do this century, no matter what some contributors to this thread may be trying to imply.

BTW, some tourists can be very stupid - saw a couple walking right up to the face of the Fox past the warning signs, and the guy actually walked into a small ice cave. Possible candidate for the Darwin Awards. (2 Aussie visitors were killed there a few months ago)
Unfortunately a rental company's antics overshadowed the issue of the tourists' stupidity.
southernthrash

RWood - while the eastern glaciers will undergo siginificant retreat this century (unless something drastic happens, and lakes CAN provide for very rapid advances...), the exact response of the west coast glaciers is unclear. It is expected by the IPCC that there is likely to be significantly greater snowfall above 2200 m in NZ in the future, on the glacier neves. It's a mass balance question - will the increased accumulation overcome increased ablation or not? In order to answer this question with any hope of approximating future behaviour, very detailed climatic modelling of the lower valleys will be required.

The simple answer is that the west coast glaciers are not simple!

I am stating that either scenario is possible, but unlike the eastern glaciers, it is hard to predict which is more likely.

Are you a scientist? Or a prophet?
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

i read somewhere about the delay, i.e between a year with lots of snow on the alps and then the west coast glaciers advancing...cant remember the number...i think it was the advances in the 90's was due to the wet late 70s?
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

southernthrash wrote:RWood - while the eastern glaciers will undergo siginificant retreat this century (unless something drastic happens, and lakes CAN provide for very rapid advances...), the exact response of the west coast glaciers is unclear. It is expected by the IPCC that there is likely to be significantly greater snowfall above 2200 m in NZ in the future, on the glacier neves. It's a mass balance question - will the increased accumulation overcome increased ablation or not? In order to answer this question with any hope of approximating future behaviour, very detailed climatic modelling of the lower valleys will be required.

The simple answer is that the west coast glaciers are not simple!

I am stating that either scenario is possible, but unlike the eastern glaciers, it is hard to predict which is more likely.

Are you a scientist? Or a prophet?
It was primarily the eastern glaciers I had in mind - point taken - but nevertheless for the western ones so far (ie 19th & 20th centuries), periods of more westerly activity and correspondingly more rainfall/snowfall have not been sufficient against a combination of warming and countervailing periods of lowered westerly activity. If anything the warming factor will become more relatively important, so I see no reason to change my "bet" at this point.
southernthrash

New Zealands mass balance was actually increasing right up until about the year 2000. Another problem with photography is that it is essentially a 2 dimensional technique, being applied to a 3 dimensional problem. A glacier can gain mass even when its length is being reduced, and in terms of water storage, and for some climatic applications, it is the overall mass balance that is important.

The next few years are going to be a very interesting period over which to watch the glaciers, which is great for me!