Winter Outlook Discussion (2009)

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Nev

Re: General June Weather

Unread post by Nev »

Um... don't think we're talking about NIWA [or Blue Skies]. :-w
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

don't think we're talking about NIWA [or Blue Skies].
An example of how climate forecasts can be wrong :smile: with the best information availible
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

j--me--h wrote:cold temps of late... coldest in a number of years id say... [someone] said it would be the coldest winter in a long time. Thoughts anyone?

P.S im only stirring ... in one of those moods i suppose.

[Edited by Nev: Sorry j--me--h, but think you might've been treading forum eggshells there]
Yes, we did say it would be a colder than normal autumn/winter. And I cant see that changing in the next month or two, but maybe in spring. Some climate forecasts can be correct with the right information Spwill... :D

And RWood, the RSS and UAH global mean temperature values for May are both well down nearer the long term compared with recent months, so its not just New Zealand which has had a colder May.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

maybe the current solar minimum is having an effect?
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

How soon can one get access to those numbers TonyT? I wait for the NOAA reports, but they don't appear until about the 15th of the following month.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

In North America they have had a cooler than normal spring and start to summer. I havn't seen figures but I have noticed a bit of forum chatter on how cold its been in California this spring for instance. And I had noticed the midwest plains looked cool from what they normally get at this time of year.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

RWood wrote:How soon can one get access to those numbers TonyT? I wait for the NOAA reports, but they don't appear until about the 15th of the following month.
They seem to pop up on a number of climate blogs around the 5th of the month. The one I usually find them on is Wattsupwiththat which has a handy graph as well.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/06/05/r ... ril-value/
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/06/05/u ... near-zero/

You can also go to the source, for example the RSS site has a nice map showing monthly anomalies here:

http://www.remss.com/msu/msu_data_month ... hannel=tlt
ch_tlt_2009_05_anom_v03_2.png
For example the May map shows the colder conditions around New Zealand and Australia, also in Northern and Central Europe, Canada, Africa etc, but warmer than normal over the western USA, east Asia, and Western Europe.

However, it is harder to find the raw numbers than the maps and graphs.

As regards the solar minimum, there are considerable differences in the solar output depending on the wavelength. For IR energy the reduction in the current solar minimum is well less than 1%, which would not (probably) be having a major effect on global heating. However, I saw a reference to some interesting research recently concerning UV and cloud condensation nuclei. The UV levels are down around 6% at present I believe, and there was a theory that this could affect the global cloudiness, as there may be a greater influence of airborne biological matter (spores etc) as cloud condensation nuclei than previously thought. UV radiation tends to kill these off, so the theory is that if there is less UV there could be more condensation nuclei, and therefore more clouds, leading to cooler surface temperatures. Interesting, but still theoretical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Apologies, this is getting well off topic now. See what you've done j--me--h? :)
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

opened a big can of worms here haven't i? Imagine the debate if it was still the original post. But im finding it all very interesting and learning. Great links there Tony. Will bookmark those.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Thanks TonyT.

And then there's the issue of a likely El Nino developing, just to add more to the recipe...
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

the lower UV leading to more cloud has not occured in this part of the world though?
(i.e sunshine hours have been above normal )

the below normal sea surface temperatures are going to be here for a while I would say
takes alot of above temperatures to shift that back up
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

yes. The latest BOM shows a drop to the negative. :|

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Manukau heads observer wrote:the lower UV leading to more cloud has not occured in this part of the world though?
(i.e sunshine hours have been above normal )
We're talking 6% reduction globally before it hits the top of the atmosphere. And the below normal SSTs may be due to increased cloudiness over the oceans around NZ (speculation on my part).