reliability vantage pro2 does not transmit with battery only

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
kitaro
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

reliability vantage pro2 does not transmit with battery only

Unread post by kitaro »

What are people’s experiences with vantage pro2 reliability? I have had mine 3 years with the current problems.
1 The iss unit does not transmit with the battery. Only with the solar panel has anyone else struck this problem? Real strange.
2. The solar panel has water in it
3, The console display has blotches on it like ink blots
I am in Wellington New Zealand and we don’t have real extreme weather conditions. No snow where I am or below 0 temperatures
I would not expect the solar panel to have water getting into it.
Most disappointing considering station is only 3 years old – unfortunately out of warranty.
Supposedly Davis weather stations are supposed to be the best.
Here in NZ we refer to most stuff from China as crap
I must say I think the stuff from USA it no better!
Could not recommend this weather station to anybody now
Karl
Alicetown lower hutt
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: reliability vantage pro2 does not transmit with battery only

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

...dunno? :?
I just burn hot cross buns :smile:
JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS
Shepherds Valley WX

Unread post by Shepherds Valley WX »

I have a Davis VP2+ and could not be happier with its build quality and performance after owing various Lacrosse 23xx and 1-Wire products. For semi-pro/high end consumer WX stations I think that they would be have to be up there in terms of customer satisfaction. Seeing as your Station is the wireless type and only operates on the solar panel could mean that the battery is discharged, have you tried changing it? I understand that the wireless versions utilise solar, battery and a supercap to supply power to the ISS.Have you contacted Davis tech support and was this station purchased in NZ?
Four Oaks Farm - West Taratahi AWS
RD1 Carterton (Wairarapa), Amateur Weather Observation Station
Davis VP2+ with Solar, UV and 24hr FARS and complete 1-Wire WX System
http://www.cartertonweather.org.nz
kitaro

Unread post by kitaro »

I have changed the battery - no change . Have emailed davis tech support 5 days ago and rang yesterday and are still waiting for a reply. Service what service !
How long have you had your vantage pro 2
My next step was to get out my soldering iron and resolder joint where battery mount is on the board. in case of dry joint.
The cost of a new console is $620 so not sure what I will do there - the term my screen suffers from is called dead pixels I think
Intrestingly this site expains how problem might be fixed
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixe ... CD-Monitor
Karl
Karl
Alicetown lower hutt
Shepherds Valley WX

Unread post by Shepherds Valley WX »

Hi Karl,

If your unit was sold to you in NZ and the issues have been going on for as long as they have, I'd be calling the supplier directly and checking if it able to be claimed under waranty. There are guys on here that have imported Davis gear direct from the US (I am one of them) and the US suppliers will send replacement Davis gear very quickly to NZ.

Also - have you tried this forum:
http://www.wxforum.net/
There are a lot of Davis VP users on there who may be able to help.

Maybe someone else can assist more, Im sorry to hear your experience has not been a good one.
Four Oaks Farm - West Taratahi AWS
RD1 Carterton (Wairarapa), Amateur Weather Observation Station
Davis VP2+ with Solar, UV and 24hr FARS and complete 1-Wire WX System
http://www.cartertonweather.org.nz
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

re the screen missing pixels
try pressing firmly around the outside of the LCD screen
to reseat the connection
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
AndyWX

Unread post by AndyWX »

Hi guys, the quality and cost of weather stations out of China is starting to make me sit up and take notice. I recently bought a wireless Tesa/Fine Offset WS1081 for just over $200 and have been pretty impressed. In my opinion it is getting to the point where Davis and other similar companies are going to have to do something drastic in order to remain viable. Karl's experience with his VP2 just adds to this hypothesis. The station I have is still not the best quality but it has all the features and performs pretty well. It vane is not very stable and the logger sometimes misses some data but for the average weather watcher its great. I carry it with me everywhere in the house so I can keep an eye on the weather. Mind you I only got it last christmas so I can't comment on its long term performance. It may pack up tomorrow. The Davis equipment is still superior but if the trend in Chinese made stations continues the USA company may go the same way as their car industry.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Hi Andy

I to have WS1081, i have had no trouble at all with this weather station. I have had it just over a year now.
What software are you running, i have missed placed by installed disk and just brought new computer, sorry this is a little of topic, but all help would be appreciated, thanks.
AndyWX

Unread post by AndyWX »

Hi Andy
I have the Cumulus software created by guy called Steve who lives on an island in the north of Scotland called Sanday. Go to the website http://www.sandaysoft.com. My WS1081 came with Easyweather software which was okay but not as good as Steve's program. At present he has it all available free to download and is always updating it. There is also an excellent support forum where you can discuss things with other owners of your type of weather station. At present my station is only temporarily in position on a pole that wobbles around too much and as a result the raingauge clicks over in strong winds. I have been pretty impressed with what you get for $240 (bought through RD1) with the WS1081. One great thing is that it runs on only 5 AA batteries for at least a year and is wireless. You don't have to plug it into anywhere or mess with wires. Sure, the resolution of the windvane is not great as it's not a potentiometer one but that's okay for the average weather watcher. Last year I did some research work which required the measurement of wind speed and direction with regard to the dispersion of odour pollution. I got hold of gear traditionally used by scientists for such work, ie Campbell data logger, Vector sensors, 20W solar panel, large 12v battery, instrument box etc. The gear is worth thousands and yet I had to set it all up, mess with wires and travel every few days to download it. If I had known about the WS1081 then I would have used it instead. All I would have had to do is mount the sensors on a mast and place the console in the clients house. It stores about a months worth of 10min means.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Thanks Andy

I have download Cumulus, trying it now. Very impressed as well, i got mine from Mitre 10 Mega in Hornby, i think i payed $220, on a trade account i think we get 10% off. Still on the original batteries mine is about 15 months old.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

AndyWX wrote:...At present my station is only temporarily in position on a pole that wobbles around too much and as a result the raingauge clicks over in strong winds.
If possible, you could try positioning the rain-gauge about 30cm above the ground where wind is at its least due to friction, assuming of course that the risk from any nearby rain-shadow causing objects doesn't also increase?
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

you could also check out weather display which works with the WH1081 :)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Gary McConnochie

Unread post by Gary McConnochie »

Yes, I highly recommend weather display. _b _b _b
kitaro

Unread post by kitaro »

Transmission now works with battery in. I took out circuit card poked around a bit cleaned battery contacts- faulty joint somewhere possibly?
I am still waiting for Davis Weather Instruments NZ Ltd to get back to me about where to send this station for repair - not that I need to now. Had one phone call saying someone would get back to me - still waiting, now been 10 days since I contacted them for support. Very disappointing. So be very wary of buying a davis weather station.
Andrew how do you find the weather forcasting on your Davis - I find mine not too good - espically with the northerly - often predicts rain that never comes
Karl
Alicetown lower hutt