Top NZ weather events of 2009

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Andrew Massie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Top NZ weather events of 2009

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

DT-NZ wrote:
Andrew Massie wrote:Reminder of 19 Jan...
My other ones are there, including Arthur's Pass 2nd January, 120mm in under 12 hours, and the 19th Jan Big hailstorm too..
WOW!!! AWE some vid Andrew _b :D thank's for sharing them (have bookmarked and will add a link to your storm vid(s) from my weather blog ) love those storms you have in Canterbury country!!
Cheers! Hopefully more to come! ;)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

No one mentioned that 32.4c on the 12th February,it was hot that day but it didnt quite felt that.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

You will be referring to the 32.4C at Whenuapai Michael. That was a localised reading.
Weetbicks
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Weetbicks »

Firstly, my apologies for changing the subject of this thread if only for a few seconds, feel free to delete this post if I get an answer.

Anyways, I have been searching the forums the last few days to see if a thread ever existed for a weather event that occurred in Invercargill a few years back. To the best of my recollection this occurred sometime during January or February of 2006 at around 2pm. It was definitely on a weekday because I was working at the local cemetery at the time.

It had been a really stunner of a day but around 2pm the wind picked up and we received the most almighty downpour I have ever seen in my entire life in Invercargill, it was intense to say the least. I was in my mower and the rain was deafening outside, within about 10 minutes the ground was covered in water. All the traffic had ground to a halt on State Highway 1 just on the edge of town, and a small river nearby had turned into a raging torrent, the rain was insane.

It lasted for about 25 minutes and when all was done there was some serious flooding around the cemetery and indeed all over Invercargill, the worst I've ever seen from a single downpour.

Anyways that is about all the information I can give. Given it was such a huge event I imagined a thread may have been started for it here on the forum, though I am unable to locate any.

Does anybody remember this, and can someone point me to any information on the forum about it? Cheers. I'd be quite interested to see any pics if any were posted and so forth. Also, what exactly caused it, and the forecasts for that day.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Of the events I've written about for the Met Society newsletter, the biggest for 2009 would the early October snowstorm in the central North Island and Hawkes Bay, the long spell of cold stormy weather in May, and the mid September northwesterly storm in the lower South Island. (with its severe gales and record high temperatures at the same time)
Locally, the thunder and hailstorms of January and December were also memorable.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Perhaps search threads of "flutterbye" that user name cameup a lot on the forum at the time just a suggestion.
Weetbicks wrote:Firstly, my apologies for changing the subject of this thread if only for a few seconds, feel free to delete this post if I get an answer.

It lasted for about 25 minutes and when all was done there was some serious flooding around the cemetery and indeed all over Invercargill, the worst I've ever seen from a single downpour.

Does anybody remember this, and can someone point me to any information on the forum about it? Cheers. I'd be quite interested to see any pics if any were posted and so forth. Also, what exactly caused it, and the forecasts for that day.
GreggWard

Unread post by GreggWard »

Mine were also the storms on Jan 14 and the BOP storms on May 11.
Last edited by GreggWard on Wed 06/01/2010 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

NZstorm wrote:My picks are,
Hail storm with waterspouts. Bay of Plenty, May 11th.
Central North Island snow storm. October 4th-5th.
I think that the waterspout was a bit more than that... but even a fully-fledged tornado over water.

Tremendous stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I agree foggy, that was not a garden variety waterspout. The wind profile on the day supports the mesocyclone theory.