Thunder for the eastern seaboards 11-12/3

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Re: Thunder for the eastern seaboards 11-12/3

Unread post by Michael »

Years ago I stayed in central Wellington on top of a building,the views towards Custom house quay and p towards the hutt valley and clearly could see the V shape in those days,Wellington still has those views at the unclutted buildings in Lambton quay and tory st etc.sorry O/T.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Excellent video embedded on stuff.co.nz

Lukemyster
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lukemyster »

Here is a nice one aswell

Andrew Massie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

GREAT video, Lukemyster, I really wanted to see Wellington Airport in this, my wife's plane was next in the queue to leave, and that storm hit.
The pilot advised the passengers that they were going to 'point the plane into it, and ride it out until it finished, and would then depart'!
He then advised the passengers they were getting 150kph gusts, and then said they didn't know what the wind strength was as the anemometer at the south end of the runway had been blown over!
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Wow. It was a good storm alright and really worked it's way up the northern east coast of the South Island from Christchurch northwards. Sadly, nothing here but we experienced it's initial develpments with heavy rain and a heavy fall here around 4pm, when 2.5mm fell in about 10minutes. Never seen it rain like that here. I booked it as a 'Clayton's' thunderstorm as the sky darkened and filled in quickly and cooled down.
Good to see the Wellington videos :D It shows you that there are people out and about, or even inside, to record events like this as they pass over. =D>
There was a photo in this morning's PRESS of the driveway into the Ellerslie Flower Show in Hagley Park. Looked like hail on the ground. I know there was hail on the main street in Kaikoura from the storm passing over there.

JohnGaul
NZThS
JohnGaul
NZThS