Lenticular cloud NE of Christchurch?

For general weather and landscape photos
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lenticular cloud NE of Christchurch?

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Took this photo a little after 5pm today during a clearing in the showers. Looks like a lenticular cloud from the southerly blowing over Banks Peninsular.
Any comments or did anyone else see it from a different angle?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: Lenticular cloud NE of Christchurch?

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

jeffsweather wrote:Took this photo a little after 5pm today during a clearing in the showers. Looks like a lenticular cloud from the southerly blowing over Banks Peninsular.
Any comments or did anyone else see it from a different angle?

YES Jeff, I saw that cloud and was watching it out of my office window :)
I was going to put up a posting "False NW Arch" and then include the mentioning of that lenticular cloud that you had spotted :)

unfortunately I have now photograph of it :cry: :x

...actually I will... :)

Johngaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

....sorry , I mean I have NOT got a photograph of it and I will put up a posting of it, just for the records :oops:

JohnGaul
NZTS
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lenticular cloud NE of Christchurch?

Unread post by jeffsweather »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:

YES Jeff, I saw that cloud and was watching it out of my office window :)
I was going to put up a posting "False NW Arch"
Johngaul
NZTS
John, I nearly stopped along Curletts Rd this morning (I was in the car) to take a photo of the 'false nor'west arch' but everywhere I looked there seemed to be more then a shoe full of water to wade through so I just had to admire the formation for the time I could see it. Alps looked really nice in the sunrise :)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I saw some lenticular clouds over Bank's Peninsula once a we while back, I took some photo's of it. I'll see if I've still got them, I hope I didn't delete them. It is odd, something you normally see over the Alps.

I also saw that false NW arch thing, just the southerly not penatrating inland. I saw the mountains like you John, very bright and basking in sunshine. Would've been a very nice morning in inland Canterbury this morning. I think cloud moved inland later on in the day.

Re your bath comment John on the other thread:

I wish I could have a proper bath but I'm to tall to fit in our bath. My knees get too cold, or if my knees are in the water my whole upper half is out of the water and it gets to dam cold. I need a big bath! It's showers for me, even that gets annoying as the nozzel thing is low and I have to bend my knees and get lower down to wash my head. I think we'll have to get one of those extendable shower nozzels at some point. Enough about showers ;) :D

That's why I like Hamner Springs, I can go all the way in, nice and hot. Wounderfull.
Aaron Wilkinson