Sub-tropic low affecting North Island, July 3-8th

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sub-tropic low affecting North Island, July 3-8th

Unread post by Michael »

Wind is beginning to get up here now,its still SSE so can see much of the needles flying across sideways over to the other houses and lee side of here,fortunately only a few here this stage.
Dale Small wrote:Im just glad that wind has dropped off.. wildest night I can recall for a long time! Just foliage damage & a couple of signs blown over around here but man, I did think the kitchen louvre windows (facing the onslaught) were going to blow in very early this morning.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Michael wrote:Wind is beginning to get up here now,its still SSE so can see much of the needles flying across sideways over to the other houses and lee side of here,fortunately only a few here this stage.
Dale Small wrote:Im just glad that wind has dropped off.. wildest night I can recall for a long time! Just foliage damage & a couple of signs blown over around here but man, I did think the kitchen louvre windows (facing the onslaught) were going to blow in very early this morning.
Haha NIMBY weather huh?
Christchurch Rocks
David

Unread post by David »

Michael wrote:Wind is beginning to get up here now,its still SSE so can see much of the needles flying across sideways over to the other houses and lee side of here,fortunately only a few here this stage.
Just wait until Wednesday... :-$
Talbotm
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Talbotm »

Looks to be some fairly impressive rain falling around the place at the moment.
;-)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Yes you can imagine it with several 50 year old pinetrees to the SW,They fly upwards no kidding when it goes SW,The models unforunately have been consistant adding 1/2 a bar furthur to the wind bars,probably be 4 by then :rolleyes:
David wrote:
Just wait until Wednesday... :-$
Talbotm

Unread post by Talbotm »

Looking at GFS looks like maybe a bit of snow for cantebury and down south from the tail end of this system as southerly gives us a flick. The Moisture from the low at the moment mixing with the southerly flick could be good. Not sure what the other poster was on about this has alot to do with the low at the moment Jasestorm was spot on i think. ;)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Looking at GFS looks like maybe a bit of snow for cantebury and down south from the tail end of this system as southerly gives us a flick.
Yes, maybe some weak snow showers possible over the eastern hills from Canterbury to Hawkes Bay end of the week. The cloud will be so shallow over Canterbury its questionable how much precip can occur. But further north over the lower east of the North Island slightly deeper instability will lead to heavier showers with snow to 600m.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

These lows are all cutoff ones with such a persistant ridge to the south blocking the polar air.
NZstorm wrote:
Looking at GFS looks like maybe a bit of snow for cantebury and down south from the tail end of this system as southerly gives us a flick.
Yes, maybe some weak snow showers possible over the eastern hills from Canterbury to Hawkes Bay end of the week. The cloud will be so shallow over Canterbury its questionable how much precip can occur. But further north over the lower east of the North Island slightly deeper instability will lead to heavier showers with snow to 500m.
melja

Unread post by melja »

Jasestorm wrote:
Nev wrote:Not sure what snow in Canterbury later this week and what GFS is putting out for next Monday, has to do with this thread? :rolleyes:

Could you guys please post this stuff in the General July Weather thread.
Its the same low system thats why i mentioned it last night, so its not just the North Island affected by the low but Marlborough and Canterbury.
Not majorly but still part of it.
Yes and i see the moderator is throwing his weight around again and removing posts.
Nobody else had a problem about the post on the canterbury side of this system only him.
Avalanche

Unread post by Avalanche »

First time on this forum . Yes its an interestin storm an its not a deep one really but the fact it sticks around for a while is what will cause the damage especially along the east coast of the north island ie Gisborne/Hawkes Bay an later in the week further south as well . Yea an agree with Michaels comment above that there seems to be a persistent ridge blocking the polar air so it will still be cold but the snow level will be 500 or 600 for the lower north islands east coast unless of course the computor models change on us well thats what i reckon anyway . I just checked metservice website i noticed they have only got 4.6mm for Gisborne i thought they wouldve had more than that . I gather the hills above have recieved more . Is there any news of flooding in the Gisborne/Hawkes Bay regions yet ???.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

melja wrote:Yes and i see the moderator is throwing his weight around again and removing posts.
Nobody else had a problem about the post on the canterbury side of this system only him.
melja, I don't normally remove posts, but as I said in the PM I sent you...

I've deleted you're post re North islanders being tichy. I simply made a request, because we'd basically like to try and keep different events separate for ease of ref. If you have a problem with that then you should've PM'ed me personally, rather than just insult all North islanders.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

very warm night thats for sure! currently nearly 13 degrees in the middle of winter.
Achten

Unread post by Achten »

only 6mm here so far, see what happens during the day.
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Looks like more heavier band over the last hour or two for the Gisborne regions again which if stays stationery could be rather interesting!
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
CHCH Weather Chaser

Unread post by CHCH Weather Chaser »

Nice heavy band sitting over Northern Hawkes Bay last couple of hours. I see stations around there have rain falling at around 8mm/h. Looks like a chance that heavy rain will move into Gisborne for a time once again in the next couple of hours.
Reporting Live from Southern Christchurch
Leighton Thomas

2014 Rainfall: Jan: 21mm Feb: 76mm March: 170mm April: 201mm YTD: 468mm
Dale

Unread post by Dale »

SouWesters roaring through now.. had to shift everything from the front to the back.. no pine needles luckily, they are a good 500m up the road.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

I seen "our" ones go across the road sometimes,seen them in their properties too also we have this shrub tree thing it has yellow flowers and they blow uphill over the house.Also when really strong they buckle the window and it creaks.
Dale Small wrote:SouWesters roaring through now.. had to shift everything from the front to the back.. no pine needles luckily, they are a good 500m up the road.