Heavy Rain/ Snow South Island 7-9 August

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Andrew Massie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heavy Rain/ Snow South Island 7-9 August

Unread post by Andrew Massie »

Was hoping my 1000th post was going to announce snow at sea level! >_<

Annnnywaaay... a pathetic 34mm here for the whole event... Note to self: Move inland! :rolleyes:

I'd just like to say for my 1000th post, thanks all for being awesome! Love this forum and it's participants! Foggy, you've done well! =D> =D> =D>
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

More advective this year than the sea path in other years,
Andrew Massie wrote:Note to self: Move inland! :rolleyes:
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Rainfall rates for this weather event varied amazingly in this area.The days after such a event,what everyone had in the raingauges is certainty the main topic of conversion,what i recorded seems to have been one the lowest on 51mm,87mm was the highest by a cockie 15kms west off here.
But this event has left me puzzled by why the Canterbury radar sometimes shows this areas true rainfall rates and other times like this past weekend it shows little,i used to think that if the cloud base was low and raindrop size was small this may have being the reason why Waipara is about the radars limit range.But this event has blown that theory,because the cloud base was at least 400m and rain drop size was predominantly large.............so buggered if i know :-k :-k
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Andrew Massie wrote:Was hoping my 1000th post was going to announce snow at sea level! >_<

Annnnywaaay... a pathetic 34mm here for the whole event... Note to self: Move inland! :rolleyes:

I'd just like to say for my 1000th post, thanks all for being awesome! Love this forum and it's participants! [/size] Foggy, you've done well! =D> =D> =D>

Ohh how sweet, man hug
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Richard wrote:
Andrew Massie wrote:Was hoping my 1000th post was going to announce snow at sea level! >_<

I'd just like to say for my 1000th post, thanks all for being awesome! Love this forum and it's participants! Foggy, you've done well! =D> =D> =D>

Ohh how sweet, man hug
Loving his newer avatar!

I wonder if he'll turn it off after his 1001th post is made.

Now, how can we taunt him into his 1001th post?
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Who would have thought we had just been through a rough few days, beautiful blue dome day up to a maximum of 13.3C.
Looking towards Christchurch from here i could see a light dusting of snow over the Scarlborough Hills way/ Godley Head which is interesting.
Also a good coating on Mt Herbert, something most in Christchurch might not be able to see.
I am beginning to think there must have been some kind of affect to more sheltered areas and the Godley Heads area being a key example of this.
Snow seemed to have fallen to lower levels in sheltered basins or valleys perhaps away from the predominant S-SW wind flow, Fairlie is a Fairly :lol: good example of this which was noted a few days ago having snow and at an elevation of just over 300m.
Where as looking at the Canterbury Plains and foothills the snow level was closer to the 400m mark.
It wouldnt surprise me at all if somewhere like Sumner had breif snow flakes falling to near sea level early yesterday morning while Christchurch was just getting sleety showers.
However this does not explain why Richard in the Amuri Basin didnt have any snow :?: .
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

The flow was not particularly cold eg, no snow for Queenstown, Omarama, Twizel.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Jasestorm wrote:Who would have thought we had just been through a rough few days, beautiful blue dome day up to a maximum of 13.3C.
Looking towards Christchurch from here i could see a light dusting of snow over the Scarlborough Hills way/ Godley Head which is interesting.
Also a good coating on Mt Herbert, something most in Christchurch might not be able to see.
I am beginning to think there must have been some kind of affect to more sheltered areas and the Godley Heads area being a key example of this.
Snow seemed to have fallen to lower levels in sheltered basins or valleys perhaps away from the predominant S-SW wind flow, Fairlie is a Fairly :lol: good example of this which was noted a few days ago having snow and at an elevation of just over 300m.
Where as looking at the Canterbury Plains and foothills the snow level was closer to the 400m mark.
It wouldnt surprise me at all if somewhere like Sumner had breif snow flakes falling to near sea level early yesterday morning while Christchurch was just getting sleety showers.
However this does not explain why Richard in the Amuri Basin didnt have any snow :?: .
There was a wee bit on Mt Herbert today, and beyond to Port Levy but not a lot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Christchurch Rocks
tich

Unread post by tich »

Still white above about 550-600m on Akaroa hills, but not a thick coating either.
Many 'lakes' still visible in the low-lying paddocks between Motukarara and Chch - including the low-lying lands between Halswell and Hoon Hay. (earmarked for new housing developments believe it not)
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

tich wrote:Still white above about 550-600m on Akaroa hills, but not a thick coating either.
Many 'lakes' still visible in the low-lying paddocks between Motukarara and Chch - including the low-lying lands between Halswell and Hoon Hay. (earmarked for new housing developments believe it not)
Us locals call those the Halswell Lakes- have been a feature for years
Christchurch Rocks
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

spwill wrote:The flow was not particularly cold eg, no snow for Queenstown, Omarama, Twizel.
Southern areas had the common showery southerly that moved up the South Island.More moisture from about Timaru north brought down the snow level in the SE flow .Was minus 8 degrees at Mt Hutt on Monday morning at an altitude of 1600 metres,cold enough for snow down to 300 metres(ish).
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Deano wrote:
Southern areas had the common showery southerly that moved up the South Island.More moisture from about Timaru north brought down the snow level in the SE flow
Queenstown had atleast 6hrs of rain with 45cm of snow on Coronet Peak, some snow at Arrowtown ( 360m) but yes Canterbury was more in the firing line for snow with the heavier precipitation and perhaps the timing of the Front at night/morning helps, I noticed Hamner township(400m) missed out or atleast had very little.