Lightning Tracker Correlations

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

I think the correlated network is wrong atm.

Strikes are showing up near kerikeri and yet kerikeri's lightning detector has them way out over the Pacific.
It seems the kerikeri detector has hardly a influence at all on the correlated network itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
ricky

Re: General August Weather

Unread post by ricky »

Tornado Tim wrote:I think the correlated network is wrong atm.
Strikes are showing up near kerikeri and yet kerikeri's lightning detector has them way out over the Pacific.
It seems the kerikeri detector has hardly a influence at all on the correlated network itself.
I just ran a replay of that time and most of the strikes here wereto the North-NorthWest.. better check to make sure my antenna hasnt been blown around, but otherwise I think these were correlations from NorthWest of Northland, the Satellite images from that time period do show Cbs out there..
iomkiwi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by iomkiwi »

Tornado Tim wrote:I think the correlated network is wrong atm.

I agree, and you could say the same thing is happening at the moment. My detector (Kerikeri) has strikes showing out in the middle of the Tasman while other detectors have the strikes showing off Taranaki, but looking at the satellite imagery where is the lightning likely to be happening - in that clear sky off Taranaki, or in the band of cloud in the middle of the Tasman?
NEWZIR.JPG
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to say " I'm right you're not " but it's hard for it not to sound like that.

I have noticed this before but being 'the new kid on the block' with the detector (and my station) I didn't want to bring it up. I am far from being a forecaster and haven't been 'into' the weather for as long as you guys. My interest is more in getting my station running automatically with as much info as possible so that guys like you can use it. I try to keep it accurate and spent a bit of time with the detector trying to get the ranging right - so please let me know if I need to bring my ranging in, I actually think it is still showing too close but it is already at max ranging - is it because I am virtually surrounded by water?

Maybe this discussion on detectors needs to be split off into it's own thread?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

I think mine has trouble with ranging the strikes because i am surrounded by mountain ranges in every direction. but i would hope the direction is still correct. i spent a bit of time getting that as good as i could. it just requires an isolated cell thats active and me being free at the time. ill have a look next time im at my parents and see if it is still as good as it can be.
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Same here with the max ranging on those water segments, but at the same time having some over land pulled way in.. But yes the LF signals over water at night are greatly enhanced (I do have the night ranging upshift enabled as well, at 260%, 400km)
The Storms responsible show up well tonight on the WWLLN !
Last edited by ricky on Mon 16/08/2010 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
ricky

Re: Lightning Tracker Correlations

Unread post by ricky »

Thanks for the new thread :)

Tim, were you looking at my NI correlation yesterday? There was a serious error there where the newest Tokoroa site was entered at completely the wrong location! That was causing lots of incorrect plots and should be fixed now
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Another thing with the correlation, It's not using raw data, so has been altered by the ranging algorithms.. That unfortunately can include bearing changes with the close storm activity coupling active..

Have to say I can't wait to see how well Tim's L2k goes! :)
Maybe with a page having all the detectors visible together or something..
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

ricky wrote:Have to say I can't wait to see how well Tim's L2k goes! :)
Maybe with a page having all the detectors visible together or something..
yes will be good to see for sure.

Thats a really good idea Ricky. As far as i know there is no site with them all on it. Will be awesome if they were all right next to each other for easy comparison.

How many detectors do we have? correct me if im wrong but is this what we have?
Kerikeri
Auckland
Manukau Heads
Hamilton (soon to be a 2nd one)
Tokoroa x2
Christchurch x2
iomkiwi

Unread post by iomkiwi »

Are we talking Boltek only? Or are you counting Graeme's ULD in Tokoroa? The Stormvue on TWL is from billah st.

How many are contributing their data at present? - as the other thing I noticed was that the number of strikes on the combined map seemed to be a lot more than the sum of the four stations listed
Tornado Tim

ricky wrote: Have to say I can't wait to see how well Tim's L2k goes! :)
Yes I am very Interested in how the L2k goes.
I was put off at first by Lightning 2000 for the data output options.
But decided to do something about it and wrote a PHP script that will grab the RAW data from l2k and display it.
I have adopted some AJAX from Ken True over in the U.S and data and lightning map will automatically update every min.
The script will be a public download once it has been successfully tested on l2k detector.
jamie.h wrote: Thats a really good idea Ricky. As far as i know there is no site with them all on it. Will be awesome if they were all right next to each other for easy comparison.
I can make up a page on my site if you guys so desire.
jamie.h wrote: How many detectors do we have? correct me if im wrong but is this what we have?
Kerikeri
Auckland
Manukau Heads
Hamilton (soon to be a 2nd one)
Tokoroa x2
Christchurch x2
For peoples information: The two in Tokoroa comprises of 1x Nexstorm and 1x for Long Distance.
iomkiwi

Unread post by iomkiwi »

ricky wrote:Maybe with a page having all the detectors visible together or something..
Here's a really rough one I threw together until Tim can put his expertise into building a tidy one.

http://www.kerikeriweather.co.nz/wxnzlightning.php
Tornado Tim

I couldn't help but see this on Alans lightning page.
Screen shot 2010-08-16 at 10.10.44 PM.png
Does this watermark on the image signify that images are actually owned by Astrogenic?

Even though every person who has Nexstorm has paid a license for it...
and has been made up using data from your own boltek?

I would very much like to know this, as that means if its true that every nexstorm user(not owner) doesnt have much rights (which is completely wrong)!

I thought the remote disabling was bad enough!
iomkiwi

Unread post by iomkiwi »

What watermark? where? :-w

It can be disabled if you want.

I'm sure it will just be to signify that the software being used is copyright to Astrogenic and we own a license to use it- just like the OS on our computers is copyright to MS (or Apple in your case) and we own a license to use that too.
TokWW

Unread post by TokWW »

IomKiwi - thanks for your combination page - brilliant!! Just wondered if you could capture the WW Network image from Washington State edu website to show at the bottom to help with correlation.

http://webflash.ess.washington.edu/L_pl ... er_map.jpg

or at least a link to it - it is about 330kB in size so adds to the heap of download on the one page.

Graeme
A Father can have a hobby because he is the Transport, Referee, Manager, Committee Member Dad!!
LaCrosse WS-2308CH, Sharp VideoCam, ULD Lightning Radar
http://www.inmanavenue.com/
iomkiwi

Unread post by iomkiwi »

Done
Tornado Tim

I think I will work off your guys Maps alone and wont go by Stormvue.

If you guys are interested and give me permission to access your Lightning Maps aka nexstorm screenshots.
Please give me a PM and ill wrestle up something :)

If I do make up a page the data will be out by at least 5 mins (for caching reasons) as i would hate to hotlink images directly.
Tornado Tim

Oh dear it seems to be happening again :(
Screen shot 2010-08-24 at 10.09.22 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-08-24 at 10.09.36 PM.png
iomkiwi

Unread post by iomkiwi »

Tornado Tim wrote:Oh dear it seems to be happening again :(
Screen shot 2010-08-24 at 10.09.22 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-08-24 at 10.09.36 PM.png
but the combined map shows no individual station with strikes there?
combined.png
- and I certainly aren't hearing/seeing anything out the window :lol:
ricky wrote:Another thing with the correlation, It's not using raw data, so has been altered by the ranging algorithms.. That unfortunately can include bearing changes with the close storm activity coupling active....
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

I think this is mostly due to the tropical storms being almost in line with several detectors so you can imagine with triangulation, a small error in angle will make a huge error in distance..
kaimaikid

Unread post by kaimaikid »

ricky wrote:I think this is mostly due to the tropical storms being almost in line with several detectors so you can imagine with triangulation, a small error in angle will make a huge error in distance..
You may have to buy another and set it up in Tauranga just to widen the area of triangulation :-w
iomkiwi

Unread post by iomkiwi »

looks like most of the stations are all picking up strikes in the same area at present, would be good to have it confirmed in that area by some eyeball verification :-)
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

kaimaikid wrote:You may have to buy another and set it up in Tauranga just to widen the area of triangulation :-w
I once helped someone here acquire one and the software. Sadly it wasn't online that long before it was sold ;P
kaimaikid

Unread post by kaimaikid »

Ricky's was the closest for here in Tauranga, really need to use an intersecting line between Ricky's and Will's to get a rough idea....
TokWW

Unread post by TokWW »

I just realised my ULD radar is not communicating with partner stations as my Router has been factory reset twice recently, and I have to have particular port pinholed to allow inter station comms and sharedf data. Sorry to Alan in Kerikeri about that and also to Colin in Wgtn too. i was wondering why there was only an historical single dot when i should have at least been getting some "correlated noise" :( LOL!
A Father can have a hobby because he is the Transport, Referee, Manager, Committee Member Dad!!
LaCrosse WS-2308CH, Sharp VideoCam, ULD Lightning Radar
http://www.inmanavenue.com/