Metservice Word of the day

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Metservice Word of the day

Unread post by jeffsweather »

I find the wording of the severe weather outlook forecasts interesting at times. On todays forecast "These cold conditions are expected to ameliorate on Thursday as a large high drifts over the country. "

Not exactly a word in my normal vocab and I would think the majority of folks in NZ so I must admit I had to go to dictionary.com to get the correct meaning.

A few weeks ago someone in the aussie weather list noted that metservice expected "A front to get a wriggle on as it passed over the country". What anyone whos first language was not english thought this meant is anyones guess!

I quite enjoy the wording on some of the forecasts and I'm sure someone in metservice enjoys putting these together!
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The Met Service have taken on a particular language style of recent which I believed was a deliberate attempt to make the forecast more user friendly to the 'man on the street'. But the use of this paticular word is daft to say the least and i suspect if the head of forecasting at kelburn sees it, the word won't be used again.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Perhaps they should say "Wet Wet Wet" ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I enjoy the wording that MetService put together on some of their forecasts, makes interesting reading from the normal wording of the weather forecasts. Jim Hickey also uses interesting words and phrases!

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

I use the phrase "Bee Bop" when the weather is Southwest but a shallow SW in Spring mostly when its still blowing a gale but is only partly cloudy and no rain(when a heat low forms off the Bay of Plenty or Taupo region) :)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I have words and phrases for weather some of which I will NOT use on this forum!

JohnGaul
NZTS