Yet another newbie

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
wino
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Yet another newbie

Unread post by wino »

Hi all
Another newbie to the forum! I'm a 50+yrs grape grower in Marlborough with a military flying background - hence the interest in weather.
I'm looking at buying a weather station and would appreciate comments from members on the way to go. Preference would be the Davis Advantage Pro and then the LaCrosse 2305/100. I'd welcome any comments on the relative advantages and any recommendations.
What sort of accuracy could I expect from these stations.
Regards!
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Hi you wouldnt need anything with the amount of sunny days you get :oops: :lol:
wino

Unread post by wino »

Hi Michael
Thanks for the reply - big blue all above at the moment! Have lived long enough in Whenuapai to appreciate your envy though!!
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Hi Wino its the nicest its been for 2 weeks today 13c with a Beebop(could go S-SE or SW-Critical wind)SSW and 2/8 :roll:
tich

Unread post by tich »

Welcome aboard Wino. Whereabouts in Malborough are you? My guess is that you'd be somewhere in the Blenehim area as you're a grape grower. Most people think of that area, with it's low rainfall and high sunshine, as being Malborough, but the province also includes the Malborough Sounds and Kaikoura Coast, areas with quite different climates and weather patterns. MetService usually seems to recognise this and mentions inland Malborough as separate from the other 2 parts of the province in its forecasts.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

Hi
if you can afford it, go with a Davis VP

They are very good :)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
wino

Unread post by wino »

Manukau heads observer wrote:Hi
if you can afford it, go with a Davis VP

They are very good :)
Thanks for the comments Brian - had really thought that the Davis was the way to go - just have!!
Regards
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Well just know the weather what it should be doing next week and labour weekend Cold SW and showers :evil:
wino

Unread post by wino »

tich wrote:Welcome aboard Wino. Whereabouts in Malborough are you? My guess is that you'd be somewhere in the Blenehim area as you're a grape grower. Most people think of that area, with it's low rainfall and high sunshine, as being Malborough, but the province also includes the Malborough Sounds and Kaikoura Coast, areas with quite different climates and weather patterns. MetService usually seems to recognise this and mentions inland Malborough as separate from the other 2 parts of the province in its forecasts.
Hi tich
Live just outa Renwick - Conders Bend area. Huge climatic difference within the region as you mention. East Coast gets wacked with the southerlies but we totally miss it where I live - don't get wind from the south at all. Very extreme wx here with summer highs in the mid 30s and lows down to about -5C air temp - great place to live though.
Cheers
wino
wino

Unread post by wino »

Michael wrote:Well just know the weather what it should be doing next week and labour weekend Cold SW and showers :evil:
You gotta move here Michael - mind you you have to be prepared to miss the good beaches and warm water temps - you can offset that with the great wine and friendly locals though!!
wino
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Not like Auckland boring low of 6 high also boring 14 and gales and showers (boring) summer 13 low 21 high with rain/gales Boring weather yet again isnt it :(
tich

Unread post by tich »

MetService usually seems to recognise this and mentions inland Malborough as separate from the other 2 parts of the province in its forecasts.

Hi tich
Live just outa Renwick - Conders Bend area. Huge climatic difference within the region as you mention. East Coast gets wacked with the southerlies but we totally miss it where I live - don't get wind from the south at all.
I must add however that MetService still sometimes makes generalisations, giving a blanket forecast for Malborough as a whole - for example snow is sometimes forecast to low levels in Malborough (including severe weather outlooks of recent days), when it's probably only the Kaikoura Coast that is expecting such snow. I recall the July 2003 snowfall in Blenheim being mentioned in media as 'first in living memory', so low level falls aren't considered normal in that area.
wino

Unread post by wino »

I must add however that MetService still sometimes makes generalisations, giving a blanket forecast for Malborough as a whole - for example snow is sometimes forecast to low levels in Malborough (including severe weather outlooks of recent days), when it's probably only the Kaikoura Coast that is expecting such snow. I recall the July 2003 snowfall in Blenheim being mentioned in media as 'first in living memory', so low level falls aren't considered normal in that area.[/quote]

tich
I heard about that 2003 snow but certainly didn't see any at my place - I had heard from a fossilised local that there was about an inch of white stuff on the ground back in '65. As you would realise then snow is not something we expect here!
But who cares!! It is raining at the moment and we really need it as the ground is very dry - grapes are just poking their buds out and they need water at this stge of growth.
Cheers