Westerlies a Go Go !

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Another spring day here in central

Min 1.3
Max 18.8

For the month of July, my min and max averages compare with august.

Differently an early spring here, which will mean a a longer peroid of frost fighting for the vineyards and orchardist.
tich

Unread post by tich »

what do you base that on?
What I could see this morning. I can't say exactly when it fell, but it certainly looked thicker above about the 1400m level since the time I last looked. (Saturday 23rd)
Fujita Phil
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

A harbour of glass today...
Andy wrote:Another spring day here in central

Min 1.3
Max 18.8

Same here for July so far

Max 17.4C
Min -0.1C
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

The weather here is decidely better here in the first half of the year than the second half ;)
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

tich wrote:
what do you base that on?
What I could see this morning. I can't say exactly when it fell, but it certainly looked thicker above about the 1400m level since the time I last looked. (Saturday 23rd)
Well they havent had any snow since the 21st.

Todays sunrise at around 7.30am
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

The snow report I looked at yesterday had 3cm new snow for Mt Hutt.
Treble Cone down there in West Otago which is a more exposed field to the NW precip was reporting 12cm new snow yesterday. :)
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

spwill wrote:
Treble Cone down there in West Otago which is a more exposed field to the NW precip was reporting 12cm new snow yesterday. :)
Ohau skifield is very near the main divide and is still getting occasional falls. I don't think Dobson or Round Hill fields have had much at all, but they are further away from the Alps.

From what I've been told, it's only the snowmaking facilities of the fields around Queenstown and Wanaka which are keeping them open, and now that we're heading into August, and the main snowfall period is behind us, I'm expecting early closing for most, if not all, of the southern fields.

2005 has been the year without winter, at least so far. Maybe we'll get some freakish weather bomb hit in August.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Hey Gary

Ski areas like T.C and the Remaks can receive most of the snow in the months of Aug and Sept, especially from rain bearing west to north westerly systems ;) July is the driest month of the year in central and west otago
Gary Roberts

Andy wrote:Hey Gary

Ski areas like T.C and the Remaks can receive most of the snow in the months of Aug and Sept, especially from rain bearing west to north westerly systems ;) July is the driest month of the year in central and west otago
Okay, well fingers crossed for them then. The Mackenzie doesn't get a lot of snow in August, even in a good year, and this has not been a good year for snow. The spring rain has the birds and the bees out now...dunno what they're up to though.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

spwill wrote:
It does say that, but if you bothered too click on the link provided it goes on to say that the last new fall of snow was on thur 21st.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Nice to see some convection in Northland this afternoon / evening as a result of heating. Looks like some heavy rain on the radar but can't see lightning on any of the trackers.

Cheers.
Aaron Wilkinson
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Nice to see some convection in Northland this afternoon
Some tall Cu around Ak today but they never looked very solid and came to nothing.

It does say that, but if you bothered too click on the link provided it goes on to say that the last new fall of snow was on thur 21st.
The report I looked at was for the past 24hrs.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes i was tramping overnight at Hawdon Valley last nite occasionally cloudy yesterday with light rain became more persisant during the night.
Was going to cross river but it was too rough and high due to the heavy rains recently in those hills.
Rain got heavier today and winds also piked up got stronger by midday.
Tent flodded abit last nite but that was coz i had a shorter pole on the tent :lol: .
Nice Week its been mild temps lovly :D .
Cheers
JASON.
Last edited by Storm Struck on Wed 27/07/2005 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

spwill wrote:
Nice to see some convection in Northland this afternoon
Some tall Cu around Ak today but they never looked very solid and came to nothing.
Was up around Mangere AP and Waiuku now, nice warm day actually
and T/Cu 8)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Some marginal instability there today. 500mb temp -21C, surface dewpoint currently 13C. Upper air may cool further and dewpoint to lift a bit as that front closes in, coupled with some daytime surface heating(hopefully that front holds off to allow this), a thunderstorm could be on the cards today. :) Auckland weather watchers stay tuned!
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Had a higher level Cb? develop here over South Auckland this morning but it drifted towards the Waikato and didn't bring any precip.
Moderate NE, 15c and fine spells in Waiuku :)
tich

Unread post by tich »

2005 has been the year without winter, at least so far. Maybe we'll get some freakish weather bomb hit in August.
Mid-North Canterbury fields should be getting snow today - wet 8-9C in Chch this morning; drizzling earlier, raining now. The mild westerly spell has ended.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Cloudy, dry weather here, 16C, Dewpoint 13C.
Some Cu over the past hr but nothing Towering.
tich

Unread post by tich »

While only light rain in Chch so far today, the 9AM and Noon radars show heavier stuff just to the north and northeast. (you should probably be getting it in Kaiapoi, Jasestrm)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Thunderstorm risk subsiding now. Midday sounding hasn't shown any cooling upstairs since midnight. :(
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I wounder if the heavier stuff will push onto us in Chch? The low that was forecast to form on the end (middel?) of this front has done so a little further to the west directing a NE onto us here in Chch. Still, it may not go over us as the system as a whole moves north regardless of a NE here in Chch. Hopefully you can give us a report of the rain Jason.

There probably will be snow way up on the mountains in the North Canterbury area, all ski fields further south miss out unfortunately. When I looked at the models the coldest thingamagiggy (front) is due here on the 12th August with sea level snow but being so far out will it happen at all? Or could it happen earlier? Anywho....

Cheers.
Aaron Wilkinson
Gary Roberts

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:I wounder if the heavier stuff will push onto us in Chch? The low that was forecast to form on the end (middel?) of this front has done so a little further to the west directing a NE onto us here in Chch. Still, it may not go over us as the system as a whole moves north regardless of a NE here in Chch. Hopefully you can give us a report of the rain Jason.

There probably will be snow way up on the mountains in the North Canterbury area, all ski fields further south miss out unfortunately. When I looked at the models the coldest thingamagiggy (front) is due here on the 12th August with sea level snow but being so far out will it happen at all? Or could it happen earlier? Anywho....

Cheers.
It's been a bit dismal here this morning, with thick overcast and some drizzle, off-and-on, but now the sun has broken through, and things are warming up.

My crystal ball still hasn't stopped laughing long enough to be able to answer my question about whether we'll ever see any snow in the south this year... :D
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Nope no heavy rain here this morning however it was rather close to being heavy at times just mostly persisant rain only 6mm so farr today.
Rain has eased somewhat still slighty spitting though and yes radar did look interesting perhaps Amberly-Culverdon got the more heavier stuff Tony? 8) .
We are certainly overdue for a cold wintry blast ;) i guess August will tell us that story. :roll: .
Cheers
Jason
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

The forecasters cant predict very accurate after 2 or 3 days out ie the sun pictures shown on Tv Fri/Sat back on Monday downgraded to cloudy last night now 1ZB says Rain all days now :evil: :cry:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes, the westerlie scenario has finished, I think, and it looks as though 'neither,niether,nor' weather will prevail for a few days yet :?
I hope August pulls something off as it was rather pathetic excuse for a winter here in CHristchurch, this July :x

JohnGaul
NZTS