General February Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
RWood

Re: General February Weather

Unread post by RWood »

Jasestorm wrote:An area of thick drizzle/light rain has been sitting over the city and northwards since about 5pm, quite thick drizzle here at times good drink for the gardens.
Not good with this overcast weather though who knows where summer has gone :rolleyes: .
There's a Ch'ch guy who posts on an overseas forum - moans about Ch'ch weather all the time, but he's in full flight now! :rolleyes:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I dont blame him. Been a rather cold February, so far 8)
JohnGaul
NZThS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:I dont blame him. Been a rather cold February, so far 8)
Different story at Tekapo - 267 hrs sun in December, 300 in January.
snowstormwatcher

Unread post by snowstormwatcher »

Max of only 13 degrees here today under Low cloud while Tekapo sat under full sunshine.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Tekapo has benefitted from the lack of westerly flow this Summer.

I see the long term sunshine average at Tekapo for June is just 97hrs, ave max temperature 6.9C, ave min -1.8C, 25 frost days.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:Tekapo has benefitted from the lack of westerly flow this Summer.

I see the long term sunshine average at Tekapo for June is just 97hrs, ave max temperature 6.9C, ave min -1.8C, 25 frost days.
Those averages you're quoting are from a site that was disadvantaged for sun exposure. At the current site on the Airfield (opened 2003) the annual average has been around the 2400+ mark.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Tekapo and the Mackenzie country have had a beautiful summer,as the rest of us on the lowlands have to put up with the constant low cloud and cool weather.

Tekapo at 700 metres above sea level is always going to be a cold place in June!
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

RWood wrote:[
Those averages you're quoting are from a site that was disadvantaged for sun exposure. At the current site on the Airfield (opened 2003) the annual average has been around the 2400+ mark.
The Airfield is a different location to town, town being lower lying, by the lake , nearer Mnts. I'm guessing town would see more Autumn/ Winter fog.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Deano wrote: Tekapo at 700 metres above sea level is always going to be a cold place in June!
Yes, It is a cold place for about 8 months of the year, I would prefer to live on the east coast for climate.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Too much frost for my liking in the inland South Island. Central NI is the same, elevated and frosty.
Dale
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Dale »

Cracker of a day here on the WC.. this is the place to be! Not a breath of wind anywhere. Now, where is my fishing rod :D
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

its starting to get warm here. have been up to 26 with DP around 18-19
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Interesting day for the Speights Coast to Coast. No howling NW and rain to assist or desist the competitors on their transverse of the South Island from Kumara to Sumner Beaches. :cute:
JohnGaul
NZThS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
RWood wrote:[
The Airfield is a different location to town, town being lower lying, by the lake , nearer Mnts. I'm guessing town would see more Autumn/ Winter fog.
Fog forms up on the airport plateau as well. The issue was simply of the site being too close to the Mt John shadow (in the main - an observer years ago specifically mentioned it.) Other parts of the town further east and back slightly from the lake would not have that disadvantage.
Last edited by RWood on Sat 11/02/2012 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZstorm wrote:Too much frost for my liking in the inland South Island. Central NI is the same, elevated and frosty.
There is a big difference - central NI is much wetter and cloudier than the Mackenzie or Central Otago!!!!

I would take Tekapo over those east coast locations on pure climate grounds. Sunshine is a commodity most of NZ gets far too little of, in my scheme of things. Even the sunniest parts don't reach 60% of the annual possible.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:I dont blame him. Been a rather cold February, so far 8)
Yes - and a very dull one. But he complains non-stop. He's quite young, but never carries out a threat to leave town for Australia - he'd much rather just moan, like the sun-hating Sydney crank who used to post here.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Low cloud here this morning. Model sounding indicates t/cu to 3000m, hence showers on the radar over the north.

Looks like a bit of a trough crosses the country from Tuesday. Wednesday afternoon could be a storm day over the inland North Island due to afternoon heating/upper trough. Tuesday looks more likely to be overcast and rainy with isol embedded cb.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

RWood wrote:Other parts of the town further east and back slightly from the lake would not have that disadvantage.
The Airport must be be sunnier than town , it on an elevated plateu and well away from those Mnts to the NE but the difference may not be big.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

RWood wrote:. Sunshine is a commodity most of NZ gets far too little of.
Yes, as is warm temperature, atleast northern NZ can claim a mild climate. :smile:
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
RWood wrote:Other parts of the town further east and back slightly from the lake would not have that disadvantage.
The Airport must be be sunnier than town , it on an elevated plateu and well away from those Mnts to the NE but the difference may not be big.
An older town site didn't have the problems of the "intermediate era" sites, and recorded values just like those now being noted at the airport.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
RWood wrote:. Sunshine is a commodity most of NZ gets far too little of.
Yes, as is warm temperature, atleast northern NZ can claim a mild climate. :smile:
Still regarded as not really having a summer by many US posters on a large forum there - even the far north. And the price you pay is too much rain, falling too often. But it's a good thing so many of you soft northeners prefer it up your way - keeps most of the SI nicely lowish in population. :mrgreen:
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Is it me or does wednesday look promising for the North Island for thunder?
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

RWood wrote: Still regarded as not really having a summer by many US posters on a large forum there - even the far north. :
But they have to live in air conditioning in Summer, hot hot hot. I think NZ Summers are great but not this one.
What do the US posters say about US winter.
But it's a good thing so many of you soft northeners prefer it up your way - keeps most of the SI nicely lowish in population
For your info RWood there are many beautiful lonely places very close to Auckland.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
RWood wrote: Still regarded as not really having a summer by many US posters on a large forum there - even the far north. :
But they have to live in air conditioning in Summer, hot hot hot. I think NZ Summers are great but not this one.
What do the US posters say about US winter.
But it's a good thing so many of you soft northeners prefer it up your way - keeps most of the SI nicely lowish in population
For your info RWood there are many beautiful lonely places very close to Auckland.
Yes, I know they exist, but the general NI vibe is more hectic than the SI one - more traffic on roads, for a start.
That's fine - you stick to your preference, I to mine. I don't want too many people to share my likes!
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

jamie.haultain wrote:Is it me or does wednesday look promising for the North Island for thunder?
Hopefully Wednesday to friday.