Summer at last

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

NZstorm wrote:
Just SW here as usual keeps the temps low due to the wind
Good thermal contrast across Auckland region today with a southwester.
Temps in the low 20's in south to high 20's in sheltered west.
Cooler southern suburbs got the persistent murk as seen in photo. :)
Yes that gloom was sticking around in Raglan all day, about 21c there while across the hills to Hamilton, nearly cloudless and a warm 25c ;)
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Its a blustery hot NW day here with 28dg now after 5pm.
Gusts are all over the place with 50-75kmh gusts every now and then but as isobars are getting tighter there might be some more gusts just a little higher than what iam getting now.
Heard on radio this afternoon that there was a sudden downpour in south Dunedin collapsing building roofs and flooding streets and nearly sweeping a car off a cliff in a wash of water.
Hmm 8) .
I see Met service have it for TS over SI tomora at low risk In Canterbury at this stage and of moderate risk in Otago/Southland wih gusts 90-110kmh but all could change and be fine weather :D .
I think summer has arrived but for how long is the question.?
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Jasestrm wrote:Its a blustery hot NW day here with 28dg now after 5pm.
Gusts are all over the place with 50-75kmh gusts every now and then but as isobars are getting tighter there might be some more gusts just a little higher than what iam getting now.
Heard on radio this afternoon that there was a sudden downpour in south Dunedin collapsing building roofs and flooding streets and nearly sweeping a car off a cliff in a wash of water.
Hmm 8) .
I see Met service have it for TS over SI tomora at low risk In Canterbury at this stage and of moderate risk in Otago/Southland wih gusts 90-110kmh but all could change and be fine weather :D .
I think summer has arrived but for how long is the question.?
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
I have nothing for thunder tomorrow, well nothing in the forseable future...but depending on any changes in the atmosphere, well anything could happen :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Fujita Phil
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Well :shock: ...

I left home at lunchtime for work and the sky was black to the south. Now I don't mean that wishy-washy black, this was one of those black skies that when you are out, 4 blocks from your car and have your best clothes on, you had better run. Fortunately i wasn't out, i was driving.

Now the front hit about 1.15pm in town with about 9mm falling in about 5mins, running at 52mm an hour at home. Temp dropped to 10C. But the wind, oh the wind... i'm guessing if I was ever in a cyclone this is exactly what it would be like.

Of course the camera was at home. I haven't heard any reports or saw the news but there must have been surface flooding and maybe in a few shops or houses? Wouldn't be suprised.

Then calm, no wind and steady rain for a while. Creepy. Beautiful here now, blue dome.

Take the camera Philip, take the camera!!!
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I heard nothing in the news about Dunedin's storm but Phil keep your camera handy at all times.
Was there any thunder/lightning whatever?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Storm Struck

The Dunedin storm had a piece on the one news tonight just before the weather if anyone missed it there is a chance it might be on late edition news on three or one news who knows?.
Yes John iam not so sure about tomora as things have been very settled over last week or so but forecasts do seem to have it for heavy showers so there's that potential there for TS to occur.
Putting in mind of atmosphereic conditions things may or may not happen so if anything at this stage I would rate a (2) out of five on things happening.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:I heard nothing in the news about Dunedin's storm but Phil keep your camera handy at all times.
Was there any thunder/lightning whatever?
Only unsubstantiated rumours from a unknown person in Mosgiel that there was lightning or at least thunder heard.

Unless they heard it before the front hit, no one would have heard much over that wind.

....and I just bought a new digital video camera #-o Should have been glued to my side ](*,)
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

I was woken at 1am this morning by an incredible roar,50mm of rain fell out of the sky in one hour,never seen or heard anything like it.
Still nice and humid here today,dewpoint 26 degrees. :shock:
Cheers.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Well Im off for about a week to papatowai, in the deep south. I see they have thunderstorms forecasted tonight!! Fingers crossed :lol:
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

50mm of rain fell out of the sky in one hour
Thats a good tropical deluge. Have there been any good lightning storms
over Cairns yet?
Willoughby
Site Admin

Just checked the latest GFS maps and things look dry into the start of February, no lows on the horizon! :D

I think the drought may start now for the East of both islands and Northland ](*,)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Met Service can put away the severe convection outlook as it looks like they won't be needing it again this summer! :)
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Maybe some afternoon convective showers for inland areas next week NZstorm.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Just mostly boring SW :roll:
tich

Unread post by tich »

I was walking up in the hills east of Akaroa looking out to sea. It was fine until midafternoon, though I could see cbs far to the southeast (heading towards Chathams?). The front and southwest change arrived somewhere about 4PM (as forecast), and the cloud thickened with a brief period of showers. The raindrops were big and icy cold - probably melted hail. No thunder or lightning, and the weather has been partly cloudy since out on the peninsula. Back to a westerly flow and fine weather from tomorrow I believe.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

The storm season here has been very average.Its a great climate for people like Michael who enjoy endless days of fine warm weather all year round.
All the action has been at home.
Fingers crossed for my first cyclone though.
8)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Yes Deano, possible TC up your way next week.
Maybe some afternoon convective showers for inland areas next week NZstorm
Doesn't look like at this stage unless the dewpoints really come up.
Just mostly boring SW
Say good bye to SW'esters Michael. Looks like an easterly is on the way.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Those are so rare here-The SW is really picking up now and lots of cloud too :evil:
Deano wrote:The storm season here has been very average.Its a great climate for people like Michael who enjoy endless days of fine warm weather all year round.
All the action has been at home.
Fingers crossed for my first cyclone though.
8)
tich

Unread post by tich »

Had some unexpected heavy showers on Banks Peninsula early this morning, but skies had mostly cleared by 10AM. Chch obviously hasn't had these showers.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Does look like a trough will develop just north of NZ mid next week with significant rainfall on the cards for the upper North Island. Humid easterlies are quite reliable for bringing on the rain.

Gusty SW'ester here today but should be into a seabreeze tomorrow.
Willoughby
Site Admin

NZstorm wrote:Does look like a trough will develop just north of NZ mid next week with significant rainfall on the cards for the upper North Island. Humid easterlies are quite reliable for bringing on the rain.
Yes it does look interesting, gfs has the trough deepening around the Bay of Plenty, then heads westwards...?!, :shock: west of Auckland. It must have some special force if it is to beat the earth's coriolis force

hmmmm
It's still a while away so let's see :D
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

tich wrote:Had some unexpected heavy showers on Banks Peninsula early this morning, but skies had mostly cleared by 10AM. Chch obviously hasn't had these showers.
Nothing here Ben although the clouds had some nice looking congetsus forms to them.
Interestingly cool day here despite the sunshine and the persisent southerly.
More warmer weather coming with 30C days :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Had some unexpected heavy showers on Banks Peninsula early this morning, but skies had mostly cleared by 10AM. Chch obviously hasn't had these showers.

Nothing here Ben although the clouds had some nice looking congetsus forms to them
Banks Peninsula often gets showers in a southwest flow when Chch doesn't - less sheltered by the South Island landmass from flows coming from that direction.
Storm Struck

I came upon an awsome situation just after 7pm in the skies when the sun was shimmering its beams through the band of cloud which had stayed around all day. I think as others mentioned like John it was southerly at thier place while it was North east here all day that might explain why the cloud stuck around all day.
Looking forward to tomorrow 27dg is the expected high so maybe 30dg 8) :oops: hotish i guess.
I was talking to someone I know in Rangiora who said last Saturday it was 37dg at his farm house just north of Rangiora. certainly an Australian temperature but a more average temperature for aussie than to a few days here in Canty.
Ohh well here's some awsome pics I took this evening of the shimmering light beams from the sun.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Warm (high 20s) air from the northwest arrived about midafternoon (I guess - I was working inside at the time) in Chch. Looks like tomorrow will be warm as well.