Summer at last

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Willoughby
Site Admin

Summer at last

Unread post by Willoughby »

I thought i'd start a new thread on the welcome boring weather ahead :D

MetService computers are spitting out very odd temps for today, 27c for Taumarunui, 25c here... I doubt it will reach those temps on a SE...

But! It's back to the beach now for some of us atleast ;)
tich

Unread post by tich »

MetService computers are spitting out very odd temps for today, 27c for Taumarunui, 25c here... I doubt it will reach those temps on a SE...
I remember some warm summer days (mid-high 20s) in Rotorua and Hamilton in a southeasterly. I guess there's a kind of fohn effect from the central and eastern NI high country in such a flow, though nothing like that generated by the Southern Alps. :idea: Some of those warm southeasterly days started after a mild night when the cloud cleared in the morning, so the thermometer didn't have to rise much to make it a warm day.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Not all that summery down here today, there are a few breaks in the clouds letting in sun but I think it'll be mostly cloudy today. Winds are light though.

I'm not sure where to put this but here's a link for some before and after satellite pic's of the tsunami devestation!

http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/9.html
Aaron Wilkinson
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

It will really start to warm up as this high pressure warms up the area quickly.

Mostly sunny currently, 21c, faint southerly :D 8)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I don't think high pressure warms up things as most high pressure contains cold air.
I think it is the absence of clouds that can lead to warming and there is a more of a chance of less cloud with an anticyclone than say an area of low pressure of which we have been getting of lot of lately.
Anyway it should get much warmer from tomorrow onwards in most places and it should continue through into May/June whatever :lol:
Interesting to hear and read what NIWA/Jim Salinger and Augie Auer are saying about the weather :-k

JohnGaul
NZTS
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Good also to see what Bob wrote in The CHCH Star on the recent weather storms stc, and the young chases!!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

about time too :twisted:
tich

Unread post by tich »

Latest UNISYS outlook has some unsettled weather on the horizon, but mostly for the South Island West Coast, in a westerly flow.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

03 Stormchaser wrote:Good also to see what Bob wrote in The CHCH Star on the recent weather storms stc, and the young chases!!
Yes, I read that in his gardening article on Jan 7th.
(Bob Crowder that is)
Had to laugh when he mentioned that about the young chasers :D

JohnGaul
NZTS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:I don't think high pressure warms up things as most high pressure contains cold air.
I think it is the absence of clouds that can lead to warming and there is a more of a chance of less cloud with an anticyclone than say an area of low pressure of which we have been getting of lot of lately.
Anyway it should get much warmer from tomorrow onwards in most places and it should continue through into May/June whatever :lol:
Interesting to hear and read what NIWA/Jim Salinger and Augie Auer are saying about the weather :-k

JohnGaul
NZTS
Auer is talking nonsense - he's implying globally cool events lately, which are in fact localised to a few areas like NZ. 2004 was apparently the 4th warmest for the world. Auer just wants some publicity to raise his profile.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Bring back Augie !!!

:D
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Deano wrote:Bring back Augie !!!

Why don't you team up with him? Perhaps the world needs more disinformation. :roll: :roll:
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

RWood wrote:
Deano wrote:Bring back Augie !!!

Why don't you team up with him? Perhaps the world needs more disinformation. :roll: :roll:
Whats your problem with him?
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
tich

Unread post by tich »

Yesterday was the 1st day since Dec 27th (at Muriwai Beach) that I've experienced a day with largely blue skies and only a little cloud. The last such day I recall in Chch was on Dec 8th!
jeffsweather
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Summer in Christchurch today. I recorded 30.4C at 1:50 pm. The warmest day since I recorded 31.2C on the 10th March 2004.
What was your max in Sommerfield John?

Nor'west arch over the plains and Christchurch at the moment 21.6C and variable light breeze.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

03 Stormchaser wrote:
RWood wrote: Why don't you team up with him? Perhaps the world needs more disinformation. :roll: :roll:
Whats your problem with him?
Refer my post #31. He's been trying to imply cooling, and that "the global warming guys are on the run". I repeat, 2004 was the 4th warmest globally.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Can you write anything positive on this forum Rwood.

:roll:
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

jeffsweather wrote:Summer in Christchurch today. I recorded 30.4C at 1:50 pm. The warmest day since I recorded 31.2C on the 10th March 2004.

Nor'west arch over the plains and Christchurch at the moment 21.6C and variable light breeze.
It got to 28.8C here just before 2pm when the cloud built up - still 19.6C now in a light WNW.

Been a while since we had a good NW arch sunset down here. This is the deepest red of the seven panoramas I took tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Thats a great photo, Steven.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Steven Graham wrote:
jeffsweather wrote:Summer in Christchurch today. I recorded 30.4C at 1:50 pm. The warmest day since I recorded 31.2C on the 10th March 2004.

It got to 28.8C here just before 2pm when the cloud built up - still 19.6C now in a light WNW.

Been a while since we had a good NW arch sunset down here. This is the deepest red of the seven panoramas I took tonight.
superb!
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Deano wrote:Can you write anything positive on this forum Rwood.

:roll:
Yes - and have done so several times. Weren't you the guy who tried to wind me up about W'gton's climate?

I am a realist about NZ weather however and don't set expectations too high.

As for Augie Auer (sigh), I have met the man - along with a lot of others in the met. science category. I know that he knows very well what he is up to. It may be OK for politicians, talkback hosts and some others to distort or ignore facts, but a scientist should know better, retired or not.

Incidentally, for those who lamented a shortage of fine settled days in Dec. and early Jan., it can be noted that one doesn't need a cold windy month for this to happen, of course. Some mild humid months in the past have produced extremely dull conditions, esp. in coastal zones of the S Island.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Some mild humid months in the past have produced extremely dull conditions, esp. in coastal zones of the S Island.
Often when there's a cloudy northeasterly here in Chch and only about 15C, inland Canterbury is usually sunny and in the high 20s. (or even 30s in sheltered basins like Hanmer) The anticyclonic airflow may be a warm one originating from subtropical latitudes, but cloud cover and the onshore nature of the flow suppresses daytime tempertaures here (but also keeps the nights mild).
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

tich wrote:
Some mild humid months in the past have produced extremely dull conditions, esp. in coastal zones of the S Island.
Often when there's a cloudy northeasterly here in Chch and only about 15C, inland Canterbury is usually sunny and in the high 20s. (or even 30s in sheltered basins like Hanmer) The anticyclonic airflow may be a warm one originating from subtropical latitudes, but cloud cover and the onshore nature of the flow suppresses daytime tempertaures here (but also keeps the nights mild).
Well put. I can recall a striking example years ago when returning from a holiday in Central Otago via Pukaki/Tekapo. It was a lovely sunny January afternoon at Tekapo, prob. about 25C with a faint drift thru' Burkes Pass. But the clouds were layered right up to the pass, and the whole of the Plains was under a big inversion, only about 17C with a light NE breeze. There was a slowish moving high, about 1020HPa covering most of NZ.

When the regional flow over NZ is truly NE/E-biased and things are not too anticyclonic over NZ and Tasman lows provide enough moisture then there have been some strikingly dull months in the past in the east of SI (plus West Coast as well usually). Then only parts of Southland and Central Otago have (sometimes) escaped persistent cloudiness. Perhaps the most notable example was in Dec. 1959 when sunshine values were exceptionally small in the east, just 60hrs at Waimate (about 12% or so of possible). Anticyclonic spells all had a lot of low cloud/fogs in those areas.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Blue dome with a couple of lenticulars in the distance :D

Currently 26.5C. I think I can see my house....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Have a SW near Gale Force especially this morning 19c :?
Fujita Phil wrote:Blue dome with a couple of lenticulars in the distance :D

Currently 26.5C. I think I can see my house....
What's worse than raining Cats & Dogs? SW Flows :oops: