Summer at last

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

03 Stormchaser wrote:
NZstorm wrote: To get 29C in Christchurch you need a west or northwester on the surface. Ch is too close to the coast for those kind of temps without a proper Fohn land breeze.
Its happened before
During the exceptionally hot conditions for 3-4 days leading into the record-breaking 7 Feb 1973, I understand Ch'ch Aero had a weekend or couple of prior days with NE seabreezes but max temps still around 31-34 range. Don't know about city spots closer to the coast.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

03 Stormchaser wrote:
NZstorm wrote: To get 29C in Christchurch you need a west or northwester on the surface. Ch is too close to the coast for those kind of temps without a proper Fohn land breeze.
Its happened before
During the exceptionally hot conditions for 3-4 days leading into the record-breaking 7 Feb 1973, I understand Ch'ch Aero had a weekend or couple of prior days with NE seabreezes but max temps still around 31-34 range. Don't know about city spots closer to the coast.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Clear and blue 33 degrees in Alex, and 31 in Wanaka.

And it is going to get even wamer... :D
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Yes the anti-southwesterly airflow ;) is bringing hot conditions for New Zealand's basins like Waikato, Whakatane lowlands, King Country, Reefton etc.

Great day's cricket, good stuff shown my Martin Snedden to get the 10ten game along. Our new pitch, is now using Canterbury waikari?? clay, didnt show any better tonight.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

During the exceptionally hot conditions for 3-4 days leading into the record-breaking 7 Feb 1973, I understand Ch'ch Aero had a weekend or couple of prior days with NE seabreezes but max temps still around 31-34 ran
The breeze would have had a big northerly component in it and not a sea breeze. Sea temps around CH in summer are around 15C, the cooling affect of a proper coast wind is quite pronounced.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZstorm wrote:
During the exceptionally hot conditions for 3-4 days leading into the record-breaking 7 Feb 1973, I understand Ch'ch Aero had a weekend or couple of prior days with NE seabreezes but max temps still around 31-34 ran
The breeze would have had a big northerly component in it and not a sea breeze. Sea temps around CH in summer are around 15C, the cooling affect of a proper coast wind is quite pronounced.
So what do you think the upper limit for the city's summer temps in a true sea breeze would be?
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZstorm wrote:
So what do you think the upper limit for the city's summer temps in a true sea breeze would be?
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Its certainly possible for Chch to get 30 degrees without a NW wind.

True sea breezes are rare in Chch in any season, but temps in the mid to high 20s are possible with a NE breeze.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

True sea breezes are rare in Chch in any season, but temps in the mid to high 20s are possible with a NE breeze.
My original point was that the air flow needs to have a Fohn component, to get those type of temps in Christchurch.

Whether the NE is a true sea breeze or not, it still performs the task of a sea breeze. Brings cooler air in off the sea the replace rising warmer air over land. We get that in Auckland in late spring/early summer with the southwester. :)
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

NZstorm wrote:
One source says CHC got to 29 C today!
To get 29C in Christchurch you need a west or northwester on the surface. Ch is too close to the coast for those kind of temps without a proper Fohn land breeze.
You need a NW airflow yes, but not necessarily a NW breeze in the city. From time to time we get situations where the NW airflow is not quite strong enough to get a surface NW wind started, but strong enough to hold the surface NE wind at bay, and for a few hours (not usually a whole day, although it can happen) Chch gets very light shifty winds and 30 degrees. Assuming sunshine, if its a high cloud NW arch day then low to mid 20s are more common, and in winter a day like this with high cloud and no breeze will stay cold, under 10 deg, and with heavy smog. Go inland to Darfield and its a 20 knot NW'er, go out on the Peninsula and its a 10-15 knot NE.

If the NE does beat the NW then temps will be mid to high 20s. If the NW beats the NE then the temp usually drops a few degrees off 30.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

When you get a warm NE wind in Chch it will have fohn and or heated land air mixed in to it .
tich

Unread post by tich »

I believe how warm a northwest airflow is in Canterbury (and NZ as a whole) depends alot on whether the flow originates in inland Australia - such an airflow that would also bring severe bushfire conditions to NSW.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Just to let everyone know there is a documentry on discovery channel on Saturday night about the Tsuami in Phucket and that at 8:30pm.
It was 34dg In Alexandra today according to One news tonight and other temperatures ranged from early 20's - early 30's.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

It (NW) seems to be warmer strangely when a low pushes down from the north and if theres lots of drizzel in the west :roll:
tich wrote:I believe how warm a northwest airflow is in Canterbury (and NZ as a whole) depends alot on whether the flow originates in inland Australia - such an airflow that would also bring severe bushfire conditions to NSW.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Hmm change in our weather today ;) it isn't NE today it's southerly of around 35kmh with overcast conditions starting to clear.
I have woken up most days this week and the cloud is all cleared with blue sky and reasonable temperatures but not this morning.
Also a little cooler today with just 17dg at the moment I wonder what forced the southerly wind in today?. :?
Certainly a change from FINE NE WINDS :roll: .
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Its a SIHOT - South Island Heat Orographic Trough. After a couple of warm days inland in summer you get a broad area of rising air over the SI. Thats what sucked in the NE yesterday which John described as "gale force". The trough migrates offshore overnight and so the east coast of the SI ends up with a day of S-SW flow as the weak trough moves away. You can see it clearly shown on today's surface charts. Should be all back to normal tomorrow, but another 2-3 hot days inland might see another one form.
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Overcast on the coast at Timaru and Oamaru today (and maybe further along both ways) but still cloudless in the Mackenzie, although definitely cooler. The wind turned easterly at noon, and has stayed that way...usually a sign of impending unpleasantness.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Touches of sun this morning followed by a day of full stratus cloud cover. Until 5pm when the clouds moved off to the North, Northeast.

Thanks for the SIHOT defintion Tony.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

TonyT wrote:Its a SIHOT - South Island Heat Orographic Trough. After a couple of warm days inland in summer you get a broad area of rising air over the SI. Thats what sucked in the NE yesterday which John described as "gale force". The trough migrates offshore overnight and so the east coast of the SI ends up with a day of S-SW flow as the weak trough moves away. You can see it clearly shown on today's surface charts. Should be all back to normal tomorrow, but another 2-3 hot days inland might see another one form.
That's in contrast I presume from some situations I recall from holidays in the hinterland (Central Otago or MacKenzie Basin) when sometimes in midsummer anticyclonic conditions the whole eastern coast and plains would be swathed in lowish stratus (with very light E or NE airs) while the above areas were cloudless - a massive inversion, encouraged I gather by "return flow" through Cook Strait.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

That low cloud is right up the east coast from Timaru to Gisborne and over Northland. Dewpoints only 13C today but I'm picking them to be around 20C over northern NZ early week.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

NZstorm wrote:That low cloud is right up the east coast from Timaru to Gisborne and over Northland. Dewpoints only 13C today but I'm picking them to be around 20C over northern NZ early week.
Not in Amberley! Sunny with some high cloud here. Probably like you, I'm having trouble reconciling what I can see out of the window with the satpix.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Sunny here too today,temp 31,dewpoint 26 degrees,phew.
8)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

TV3 weather temperatures seems to "up the wop" today with their weather-boy saying that currently the temperature was 25C in Dunedin when the map showing the country's highs, Dunedin only reached 19C???????
What was your max today, Phil?
Interesting to see what TV One say?
I get pist off at the way TV One shows their temperatures. they never show where the max was recorded. :x
I told them years ago to correct themselves but they just ignored me :evil:

JohnGaul
NZTS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:TV3 weather temperatures seems to "up the wop" today with their weather-boy saying that currently the temperature was 25C in Dunedin when the map showing the country's highs, Dunedin only reached 19C???????
I get pist off at the way TV One shows their temperatures. they never show where the max was recorded. :x

JohnGaul
NZTS
On the matter of changing irritating habits - at odd times over the last 30+ years I've tried to get the DomPost and its predecessors to acknowledge the fact that there are 2 days in a weekend. My efforts have been in vain - one sees recorded data for just one of the two days. Even when there were 2 papers a day, each Monday edition gave one day's data only - values could only be adduced for rain and sun by arithmetic calculation, and temp readings were a goner.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:TV3 weather temperatures seems to "up the wop" today with their weather-boy saying that currently the temperature was 25C in Dunedin when the map showing the country's highs, Dunedin only reached 19C???????

JohnGaul
NZTS
On the matter of changing irritating habits - at odd times over the last 30+ years I've tried to get the DomPost and its predecessors to acknowledge the fact that there are 2 days in a weekend. My efforts have been in vain - one sees recorded data for just one of the two days. Even when there were 2 papers a day, each Monday edition gave one day's data only - values could only be adduced for rain and sun by arithmetic calculation, and temp readings were a goner.