Weather Presenters Part 2

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
greg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weather Presenters Part 2

Unread post by greg »

On National Radio this morning at 1145, the TV reviewer covered the respective TV stations Weather presentations, some interesting bits:
The Met Service she says has 16 script writers doing scripts for all the different peersonalities who present.
They literally pick one and stand up and read it!
Jim Hickey is the most popuklar and respected, but he spends his time on other shows or answering emails, not observing the weather.
She was particularly scathing of the scantily clad women who present, (make sgood viewing though)
She gave TV 3 6/10 and TV 1 8/10.
Very interesting to hear the comments from a Tv reviewer perspective, and from a non observer.

Greg
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

They need "proper meterologists doing the weather
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes, Greg I sort of heard the programme on a resident's radio whilst I was carpet cleaning the floor outside his room at the hospital where I work. I wished I had recorded the programme so I could do a proper analysis on it. I heard them talking about Karen Olson being the only qualified meteorologist who presents the weather on TV and there was something about Augie Auer. Jim Hickey has meteorological qualifications.
The current TV presenters on TV 3 or TV One now do nothing for me so I don't watch the forecasts as they are NOT weather people. Maybe MetService should do something with the media on training up people with media skills to present the weather from the Met Office similar to the BBC !!!
We've read some of their wording on Severe weather Forecasts etc. so there must be talented people there???

JohnGaul
NZTS
jeffsweather

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Remember when National Radio then called "The National Program" would would say "Now we are crossing to the met office for the weather forecast" and someone in a studio there would read it. They always seemed to sound like a old guy about 80!

I presume this was quicker as there were no faxes and email to get the copy to the national radio studios in time for the news.

One thing that does annoy me now is the lack of main centre forecasts after 9am. Why don't they provide them every hour?
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Can someone tell me when or if Augie Auer still does his weekly show on National Radio.
Thank You.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Yes he does after at 3pm after they play the "oldies" on the radio every second Wednesday-It should be this Wednesday.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Cheers Michael.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Jeff says"Remember when National Radio then called "The National Program" would would say "Now we are crossing to the met office for the weather forecast" and someone in a studio there would read it. They always seemed to sound like a old guy about 80"

When it (3YA) in your town wouldve been on 690AM in those days playing Afternoon Concert and telling you it was 81 Degrees with fresh north westerly and fine and warm :)
jeffsweather

Unread post by jeffsweather »

In the 70's the local stations used to give temperature, wind speed and direction (can't remember if humidity was reported) reports 2 to 3 times per hour. I can't remember if national radio ever did but the local stations 1ZW and 1ZH in Hamilton used to.
I can only assume they had weather instruments on the roof. I don't really listen to commercial radio these days so don't know if the trend continues.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

jeffsweather wrote:In the 70's the local stations used to give temperature, wind speed and direction (can't remember if humidity was reported) reports 2 to 3 times per hour. I can't remember if national radio ever did but the local stations 1ZW and 1ZH in Hamilton used to.
I can only assume they had weather instruments on the roof. I don't really listen to commercial radio these days so don't know if the trend continues.
It wouldve been 1XW originally on 930AM went to 954AM in '78 ;) :)
I remember too that the radio used to give the temperature to 1 decimal point too when I used to listen to Radio Windy(They used to do that) an tell you that you had an ESE instead of an easterly for instance.
they had descriptive words for southerlies hence listening to Wellington stations as a kid