Another Fizzer

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Another Fizzer

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Looks like another 'Fizzer' has gone through here at 2:20pm.
Wind around to the south after a glorious day - I got to 19.7C
Just layers of stratus or fog. Temp down to 10C by 4pm.
Nothing on the 3pm Rakaia radar

JohnGaul
NZTS
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Thats what I thought John earlier in the afternoon.
Currently wet in Ashburton with drizzle and the temperature steadily dropping,rain is starting to develop in Canterbury as per the 4.00pm-4.30pm Rakaia radar .
tich

Unread post by tich »

I don't think it'll be a fizzer - predicted rain usually lags behind the arrival of the southerly. This time a true southerly is forecast, not a southwesterly like last week. Southwesterlies are tricky to forecast for in Canterbury - last week the shower/hail/thunder activity simply moved to the east and well offshore.

Southland looks like it's already felt an icy blast - 3PM obs show only 0C for Gore! I guess it must be snowing there as the temp was about 5 or 6C earlier in the day.

Ben
Christchurch
tich

Unread post by tich »

No precipitation yet as I write, but the air has that moist "it's about to rain" feel about it". From my experience, the rain usually starts as light drizzle and gradually intensifies to full-on rain in these sorts of situations. I wouldn't expect any thunder or hail out this system, so you might still consider this event to be a 'fizzer' John, by your definition of interesting weather. (not that thunder and hail have been forecast) I also think snow levels will be lower in inland Canterbury than in Banks Peninsula tonight.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

hey it has been raining in the driest part of the country since breakfast time so it must head north at some stage.. ;) ;) ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes. Raining here in ChCh from about 7:30pm but not rain from the south, hense the "Fizzer" I was referring too earlier this afternoon. Even though a light southerly wind is blowing, the rain seems to be building in from the NW across the plains. I noticed the 6pm MetService map has a little warm front off the West Coast,linking up to this afternoons front.
It is now 6.8C here with 6.5mm falling since 7:30pm. If the rain continues this could stuff up my June records as I am a "9am to 9am" weather recorder.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes Ben, that was the same thing I was going to say to John. It has been a fizzer if Thunderstorms was what one would want out of this southerly outbreak, so I say it was a fizzer in those terms.
I appreciated the warm conditions this morning that went through till part of the afternoon where it then went cold, but it would be good to see some snow again
I remember in 1992 waking up in the middel of the night to see out my window a foot of snow outside, in the morning we had great fun!! I lived on the Port Hills then and in some places the snow drifts got deepish. Can anyone tell me if the snow in Cantab was predicted the night/week before to what actually happened (the big blizzards and stuff) on August 28th 1992, I was only a little kid and can't remember any forecasts back then, all I remember is waking up to snow and thinking, awsome!!!

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Temperatures remaining around 5C all day here in Christchurch. Haven't heard of any reports of exceptional snow falls any where. I suspect Mt.Herbert would of got a dusting but nothing alarming, also up country.
Light Sw here for much of the day, with the barometer going up very slowly.@mm fell here when the front went through this afternoon

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

What I remember is the 25th August 1992 was fine and sunny here and then the 26th it packedup and the snow started about then and then on the 27th
it got down to 10 degrees in Auckland that day with rain and they were going on about the snow in Canterbury which was starting to get bad and that day I was fortunate enough to be going on a plane to Hawaii and remember looking out the window there was whitecaps a good nearly 2 hours north-as the depression on the map and its SSW extended way north then spent 1/2 in cloud where I couldn't see then after that it was the clear trades look that is got in the tropics with the odd scattered cumulus about. :)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Thanks for the memories Micheal, just checked with my CTV (Canterbury Television) special edition video tape on the 1992 blizzard and on the front cover it says August 28th, ah! I'm now inspired to go and watch it!

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson