That big group of Cb's

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

That big group of Cb's

Unread post by Thunder »

Hi all

That big group of Cb's that snuck round the bottom west coast of the South Island and up the west coast towards the north, was that originally intended to hit and go up the east coast of the south Island?, and if it had of done what more could've we expected if that had happened? I noticed that a few did get up the east coast though (e.g. Steven Graham's photo of a Cb in Templeton Chch) but only a small percentage of them.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Probably a "Fizzer" as I indicated in another post, Aaron!!!

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes John, I can remember you saying a fizzer in another thread / post. So were you saying it was possibly going to be a fizzer because those Cb's looked not likely to hit us but in the end it surprised you and we still got snow. Is this your situation John?

Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I wasn't expecting the Cbs to be coming our way, but then they could of done but that shows you the way the South Island splits the airflow if it comes from a South or SE direction. Some Cbs did come our way but they were too shallow or "Dead".
I see that Trevor McGavin recorded 200 odd lightning strikes on Friday night, possibly from the Cbs moving their way up towards the Auckland area.

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The group of active cb's that went out into the Tasman Sea friday, did a very unsual manoeuvre by changing their trajectory into a northwest direction to avoid the SI East Coast. Obviously the southern Alps was having some say in this direction change. But i would have expected this system to turn into the NE and move up the east coast. If it had have taken the eastern route, Otago/Canterbury would have had a particularly snowy outbreak. It was an very unstable cold pool. Looked great on the satellite pics.

Cold and wet in Auckland this morning. Temp 4C with showers.
freezing level though is up at 1100m.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Of August 28th 1992 proportions?