Southern freeze

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Southern freeze

Unread post by tich »

It must be very cold down south, according to the news reports. These reports seem to be concentrating on South Otago, where it seems to be worst, though you'd think Central Otago would be getting the heaviest frosts. And I wouldn't want to be living in Reefton over recent days - 3 days of continuous fog, with a max of only 2C yesterday. :twisted: (presumably not much warmer on the 2 previous days)

Here in Chch, it's not so cold, but still far from tropical. MetService finally stopped forecasting drizzle from yesterday, and guess what - it was drizzling earlier this morning. :o
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Southern freeze

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

tich wrote:It must be very cold down south, according to the news reports. These reports seem to be concentrating on South Otago, where it seems to be worst, though you'd think Central Otago would be getting the heaviest frosts. And I wouldn't want to be living in Reefton over recent days - 3 days of continuous fog, with a max of only 2C yesterday. :twisted: (presumably not much warmer on the 2 previous days)

Here in Chch, it's not so cold, but still far from tropical. MetService finally stopped forecasting drizzle from yesterday, and guess what - it was drizzling earlier this morning. :o
Interestingly, the weather pattern here in North Otago/Waitaki District is almost the reverse of normal. While cruddy as ever on the coast, inland at Kurow and Otematata way it's lovely and fine, but once you climb up the Otematata Saddle (which is enclosed in cloud and covered in Hoare frost) and drop over the other side towards Omarama, it's cold, gray and threatening to snow.

This is all Don Brash's doing. Him and that scurvy Winston Peters fellow. Aye.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Tara Hills To add this to your My Weather
page you must be logged in.

at 12 pm Fri 17 June

Tara Hills

Temperature: 0 °C
Wind Speed: 2 km/h
Wind Direction: ENE
Rainfall (last hr): 0.2 mm
Humidity: 95 %
Pressure: hPa
Could be some light snow near you Gary. I see also Wanaka was only 1C (though dry) at Noon. Quite alot warmer in Chch now - temperature into double figures for a change and the sun is shining. (though I can see a northwest arch developing)
BTW I went down to New Brighton this morning, and boy the seas were wild, surf breaking beyond the pier. (and it wasn't low tide) Must be a legacy of that deep low well to the northeast.
Gary Roberts

tich wrote:
Tara Hills To add this to your My Weather
page you must be logged in.

at 12 pm Fri 17 June

Tara Hills

Temperature: 0 °C
Wind Speed: 2 km/h
Wind Direction: ENE
Rainfall (last hr): 0.2 mm
Humidity: 95 %
Pressure: hPa
Could be some light snow near you Gary. I see also Wanaka was only 1C (though dry) at Noon. Quite alot warmer in Chch now - temperature into double figures for a change and the sun is shining. (though I can see a northwest arch developing)
BTW I went down to New Brighton this morning, and boy the seas were wild, surf breaking beyond the pier. (and it wasn't low tide) Must be a legacy of that deep low well to the northeast.
Possibly. It's been threatening to snow for a few days now, but apart from the tiniest of flurries we've had nothing at Omarama level.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

It's been threatening to snow for a few days now

Wrong weather pattern for snow Gary but thats on the change, maybe a light brief flurry or two this Evening however it dose look like some snow on the way for you Thursday/ Friday next week. :)
Gary Roberts

spwill wrote:
It's been threatening to snow for a few days now

Wrong weather pattern for snow Gary but thats on the change, maybe a light brief flurry or two this Evening however it dose look like some snow on the way for you Thursday/ Friday next week. :)
My own weather station has stopped predicting snow and is now calling rain. It's correct far more often than any person I've yet encountered, so I'm going with that. It won't surprise me if we get no more snow at ground level this (so-called) winter.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Was down south Westland this week from Monday-Friday today. :D
Stayed on a beach with my own man made hamock on Monday night with the 2-3 metre west coast swells crashing.
Then From Tuesday-Friday today I was on Solo at lake Ianthe south of Ross. We had beutiful weather with some higher cloud at times but no frosts overnight just some dew as to expected ;) 8) .
Apart from some light rain settling in early hours this morning with a strong NW wind then becoming heavier as we left to come back to Christchurch.
I believe a heavy rain warning is in place for there tonight with 60-80mm possible overnight.
Will post pics of trip next week as my camera is left in the van at course.
A very big thing to do solo :) and not many people can do it cope in the bush for 3days and 3 night's and we were also the only group out of all the six month courses that came out altogether fully instead of pulling out half way through. :) :D
Cheers
JASON
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Excellent Jase :D

Can't wait for the pics ;)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

A mild 14C with light rain here this morn. June can be a mildish month, its July/August to watch out for. Todays front looks weak on the satellite.
It won't surprise me if we get no more snow at ground level this (so-called) winter.
Sticking my neck out, there could be some warm advective snow at Omarama later next week. :?
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Jasestrm wrote:A very big thing to do solo :) and not many people can do it cope in the bush for 3days and 3 night's and we were also the only group out of all the six month courses that came out altogether fully instead of pulling out half way through. :) :D
Cheers
JASON
Yes, well done Jas. I can't do 3 days without my laptop, let alone a solo in the bush.

Off to the Lions tonight Jas. I know you watch your rugby.... do you think we can win? I reckon if we are still there after the first 10 of the second half we may have a shot. Weather ia certainly going to play its part. Brief rain early this morning, now clear with a milder night predicted.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

this (so-called) winter
Little in the way of Northerly air this winter so far so it has been a rather cold winter to date for many , hard frosts in the South, little sunshine and wind chill for many eastern areas.

Go Otago tonight :D
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Fujita Phil wrote:Weather ia certainly going to play its part. Brief rain early this morning, now clear with a milder night predicted.
Should be some drizzle there tonight but no wind... ;)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Yes, looks like Dunedin has a good day for tonights game.

Rain has cleared here. We had 32.5mm this morning with 13.4mm in 1 hour. Sun breaking through now with 17C.

Then From Tuesday-Friday today I was on Solo at lake Ianthe south of Ross. We had beutiful weather with some higher cloud at times but no frosts overnight just some dew as to expected
Would they time this to the weather. I guess they wouldn't send you out solo in very cold wet weather.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes Fijita Phil go Otago tonight make sure the barmy army don't win I think thier recent loss to the NZ Maori came as a shcok so early in the round :D . But having saying that they do have a slight grudge or attutude whilst playing rugby like last weeks game against NZ Maori few fights which is to be expected but they really do have quite a mouth :o .
:lol:
I read the other day in the press that there has been problems with the lions fans as well ohh well lets just play our games. :D
They would put us out in all weather NZSTORM because thats what tramping and solo is all about also even though we had fine weather we still coped all the time with the same amount of eqipment and that which other groups had so it's not much different.
It was also planned on the timetable of mycourse to happen at that time and we just happend to get good weather.
Cheers
JASON
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

18 May Flooding in Matata and Tauranga...

17/18 June ...
NZstorm wrote:Rain has cleared here. We had 32.5mm this morning with 13.4mm in 1 hour. Sun breaking through now with 17C.
16/17 July Flooding in Auckland and Paunui

Must be the moon ;) ;) ;)
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

dang michael,LOL
i ended up re reading a whole bunuch of old posts, thinking they were new
you get that on the big jobs i guess
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Manukau heads observer wrote:dang michael,LOL