Unexpected dump of snow on Banks Peninsula

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Unexpected dump of snow on Banks Peninsula

Unread post by tich »

Forecast was for some snow showers above about 600m, but I first noticed some sleet between Taitapu and Little River, and snow had settled on the hills. As the bus I was on climbed Hilltop, settled snow became thicker on the ground above about 300m, and we're were stuck about 2/3 up the hill. Had to wait for a grader to clear the road. Not an unusual dump (only about 4cm where we were stuck and 6-7cm at the top), as grader hadn't previously cleared the road, it was very slippery. The weather has partially cleared now, but MetService obviously wasn't expecting snow to 300m instead of 600m, and road authorities must've believed the forecast. :o
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unexpected dump of snow on Banks Peninsula

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

tich wrote:Forecast was for some snow showers above about 600m, but I first noticed some sleet between Taitapu and Little River, and snow had settled on the hills. As the bus I was on climbed Hilltop, settled snow became thicker on the ground above about 300m, and we're were stuck about 2/3 up the hill. Had to wait for a grader to clear the road. Not an unusual dump (only about 4cm where we were stuck and 6-7cm at the top), as grader hadn't previously cleared the road, it was very slippery. The weather has partially cleared now, but MetService obviously wasn't expecting snow to 300m instead of 600m, and road authorities must've believed the forecast. :o
Quick, open a skifield! Your's may be the only one to make any money this winter! :D :D :D
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Never saw anything here Ben as I was still in the horizontal, scoring zeds, as this was the first sleep-in I could get for ages.
Anyway only 1.5mm of rain here which must of been falling around 9am.
Clear blue skies at the moment so it must of been only short lived.
Sun nice and warm. Might be more snow tomorrow/day after?
This WE is looking good.

JohnGaul
NZTS
jeffsweather

Unread post by jeffsweather »

I headed over to Ferrymead about 9:45. There was a light shower here (0.2mm) but there was quite a bit of surface water in places on the road indicating that around Cashmere, there was a lot more rain then I saw.
There was also a dusting of snow on the Port Hills but it didn't hang around long.

Now clear and sunny but still cool with 8.0C and a light westerly breeze.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Generally sunny since the clearance of the rain and snow; just passing clouds (though I did notice a cb or 2 to the southeast not long after the late morning clearance). Must've been a more intense pool of cold air to bring the heavier rain and lower than predicted snow on Banks Peninsula.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yeh front must have just skipped us here because we are dry as a bone this morning with slight SW wind. I did notice when i went out today that it was wet from about Papanui southwards into the city :D .
Now one thing that really annoys me about Brendon on a Sunday :twisted: is that he only puts the extended forecast out to Wednesday as to when Karren is on tv one on sunday she does longrange out to Friday and it's always been like that which is one of the reasons why i like sundays weather grrrrr bloddy Brendon :x .
Cheers
JASON.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Jasestrm wrote: Now one thing that really annoys me about Brendon on a Sunday :twisted: is that he only puts the extended forecast out to Wednesday as to when Karren is on tv one on sunday she does longrange out to Friday and it's always been like that which is one of the reasons why i like sundays weather grrrrr bloddy Brendon :x .
Cheers
JASON.

Karen's long range forecast through to Friday is exactly the same as what MetService puts out on their internet extended range forecast.
She dosen't elaberate anyway so to me it dosen't really matter. :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Just when I hear it it says Mon.Rain over the northern half of the country...Tues Rain widespread ..Wed Rain with SW easing to showers becoming fine in the east and about Wellington Showers elsewhere...Thurs Fine in most districts but showers north of Taranaki in the west and about the south coast..Friday a few showers in the west of both islands..Sat showers in west becoming isolated however Cloud spreading down to Auckland in the afternoon..Sun Rain winds 90kmh...makes one crindge ;) :twisted: I go yeah Play it again :roll:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Michael wrote:Just when I hear it it says Mon.Rain over the northern half of the country...Tues Rain widespread ..Wed Rain with SW easing to showers becoming fine in the east and about Wellington Showers elsewhere...Thurs Fine in most districts but showers north of Taranaki in the west and about the south coast..Friday a few showers in the west of both islands..Sat showers in west becoming isolated however Cloud spreading down to Auckland in the afternoon..Sun Rain winds 90kmh...makes one crindge ;) :twisted: I go yeah Play it again :roll:
At least she dosen't say "There will be Drewery DSB shaped side-rod" weather systems passing over the country ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

She could say a KB 'nee Cb' (you would be familiar with those in the SI) is steaming across the country ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: At least she dosen't say "There will be Drewery DSB shaped side-rod" weather systems passing over the country ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Gary you sound quite pessimistic towards the outlook of snow down there.
Thursday night should change that. ;)

Well here are some maps from Snow-Forecast.com Highly recommended, GFS driven.
Though I am being a little bit naughty posting these up.

A new thread should be made relating to this event by some one down there, ive made too many new topics. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:Gary you sound quite pessimistic towards the outlook of snow down there.
Thursday night should change that. ;)

Well here are some maps from Snow-Forecast.com Highly recommended, GFS driven.
Though I am being a little bit naughty posting these up.

A new thread should be made relating to this event by some one down there, ive made too many new topics. :)
Another beautifully fine day here today. I like this weather! The skifield operators are the ones praying for snow. Snow gets into my undies on a regular basis, something I can do without.

I have to say that I'll never pretend to be a meteorologist: those beautiful maps (http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/nzsouth_3days.shtml) are mostly meaningless to me. :? :cry: