Mid Winter Holiday

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Fujita Phil
Has thanked: 0

Mid Winter Holiday

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

So I've picked the warmest month of winter to take a tropical holiday :lol:, but neithertheless time to get away. I had a running joke with my work collegues that if it was going to snow again here in Dunedin this winter it would be while I was away. Doesn't actually look likely though.

Funny thing is that I thought I would search back through this board to see if there was any posts on Tonga and lo and behold I came across this site...
http://www.graemewi.orcon.net.nz/pictur ... tonga.html

Exactly where i'm heading Graeme. Hope to get a thunderstorm while i was there but that doesn't look likely either. Thought I might just strap my gps to a sea kayak and cruise around the island a bit. ;)
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Hope you enjoy it - it's a special place Fafa. Just watch out for kava night ;)
Oh - and be prepared for an excess of relaxation, good food, and ... the bar is pretty good.

I didn't see any thunderstorms on either of my trips there, but last year enjoyed sitting eating breakfast by the bar and watching tropical buildups go through their entire lifecycle in about 20 minutes.

Have a great trip!

G
Michael

Re: Mid Winter Holiday

Unread post by Michael »

Even the most diehard inclement weather enthusiast needs a break in the sun ie they all go to Tonga,Vanautu,Hawaii etc not Falkland Islands or the Chathams etc ;)
Fujita Phil wrote:So I've picked the warmest month of winter to take a tropical holiday :lol:
or at least go in the summer thunderstom period in Jan/Mar there :shock:
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mid Winter Holiday

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Fujita Phil wrote:So I've picked the warmest month of winter to take a tropical holiday...
Heh! The local oldies traditionally head for warmer climes during winter. The joke's on them this year! :D
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Pacific Island weather here today :D , sunny, currently 19C with a dew point of 13C .
GraemeWi

So... how was the trip?
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Bloody Great!!!

Haven't read a book in years... I read two in three days. Fafa was just fabulous. Nothing to do but read, snorkel (even though the locals thought we were mad in the middle of winter, so warm though), sea kayak and drink.

The fales were amazing and so the were the people and the food. We bought heaps of fruit at the markets when we arrived and soaked it in vodka for our pre-dinner drinks :D.

The main island, well as you maybe aware, their first strike was in full swing. Many sad people. When people say that Tonga is one of the "underdeveloped" pacific islands, they are so right. Poverty, rubbish in the streets, decrepid buildings and most of the cars have at least one door missing :) . Still, life seems somewhat happy. Of course we all get caught up in our "busy" lives with our time saving devices... you can see the benefits of a slower way.

Anyhoo... I'm not saying I want to give up my ipod, laptop, espresso machine, heat pump, expensive mid winter holidays...

Right, some photos...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Fujita Phil wrote:Poverty, rubbish in the streets, decrepid buildings and most of the cars have at least one door missing :) . Still, life seems somewhat happy. Of course we all get caught up in our "busy" lives with our time saving devices... you can see the benefits of a slower way.
True.

Oh, you meant Tonga!
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

When people say that Tonga is one of the "underdeveloped" pacific islands, they are so right. Poverty, rubbish in the streets, decrepid buildings and most of the cars have at least one door missing
You wouldn't have thought there would be such poverty so close to NZ. I got a look at it whilst on a short working stint in Fiji. You have to watch your property as theft is rife, well it was in Fiji.
GraemeWi

Willie still the barman? He was pretty hard case!