We need some action weather or this place will die!

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

of the gfs/nogaps models do like to make extreme predictions

stiil, keep an eye on the developing system over queensland/north tasman
it might miss the boat though
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Not here there have been sunny periods but Rain in between up here What happened to your southerlies in WN that used to frequent in the 60's and 70's :?:
RWood wrote:
Gary Roberts wrote:The springlike weather continues here in Omarama and the Mackenzie, with dense cloud and light rain, with cool-to-warm temperatures.

What are the prospects for action weather here in the next few days? Good, or fading?
Sunny dry month here so far, and. quite mild. SE storm for this w/end in earlier prognoses? - sounds like bollocks!

I don't mind this "inaction" at all.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Michael wrote:Not here there have been sunny periods but Rain in between up here What happened to your southerlies in WN that used to frequent in the 60's and 70's :?
Don't have objective data on hand about windflow directions but I suspect that by comparison with those times we're getting more SW quadrant winds and fewer SE quadrant winds. I do know that annual summary reports ("Meteorological Observations", Met. Misc. Pub. 109) stated that from 1974 to mid-1980 there was some degree of easterly anomaly over the NZ region. One of the ways this may have manifested itself could be the opposite to the above - more "SE" and less "SW". The "El Nino-favouring" decadal oscillation phase from about 1977-1998 I suspect would tend to reverse this. I think windspeeds here have dropped a little anyway - max. gust data (1972-present) support this. But one definitely feels that southerly events are less common and mostly less severe - the odd big storm gets a lot of publicity partly because people are much less used to them now!?
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

RWood wrote:
Michael wrote:Not here there have been sunny periods but Rain in between up here What happened to your southerlies in WN that used to frequent in the 60's and 70's :?
Don't have objective data on hand about windflow directions but I suspect that by comparison with those times we're getting more SW quadrant winds and fewer SE quadrant winds. I do know that annual summary reports ("Meteorological Observations", Met. Misc. Pub. 109) stated that from 1974 to mid-1980 there was some degree of easterly anomaly over the NZ region. One of the ways this may have manifested itself could be the opposite to the above - more "SE" and less "SW". The "El Nino-favouring" decadal oscillation phase from about 1977-1998 I suspect would tend to reverse this. I think windspeeds here have dropped a little anyway - max. gust data (1972-present) support this. But one definitely feels that southerly events are less common and mostly less severe - the odd big storm gets a lot of publicity partly because people are much less used to them now!?
Yep, I recall the big southerly blows being a lot more common when I was kid. Of course that could be selective memory at work, but I don't think so.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I think to terminate this large posting started by Gary in Omarama, that judging by the weather today, this place has officially, died
R.I.P. :-({|=

JohnGaul
NZTS
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:I think to terminate this large posting started by Gary in Omarama, that judging by the weather today, this place has officially, died
R.I.P. :-({|=

JohnGaul
NZTS
Is there a "ghost" smiley?