Foggy again

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Foggy again

Unread post by tich »

The low cloud and fog came again today in Chch, lingering longer in some areas than others. I was out on Quail Island (upper Lyttleton Harbour) planting native trees*, and the fog and low cloud stuck around for much of the time. I believe similar conditions affected many eastern parts of the South Island today, suppressing maximum temperatures. I guess that's why Kaikoura only got to 5C.
Incidentally, I hear there have been some very unusual snowfalls on the Flinders Ranges of South Australia today - very unusual in that they resulted from a northerly/northeasterly airstream! Apparently cloud and rain moved in quickly following a cold, frosty night. This sometimes happens in NZ, but snow on South Australia's ranges I believe is about as common as snow on the Kaimai Ranges in the North Island

Ben
Christchurch

* some other recently planted trees on Quail Island are showing obvious frost and cold damage from the icy July weather - normally an island like that would be less affected by frost and cold, due to surrounding waters, but it just goes to show how intense the cold of last month was.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Thick fog again in central Chch this evening.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

It's sort of gone now here ( or lifted) in Somerfield as I type at 11:20pm after doing my 11pm readings. A light SW blowing here with stars shining towards the Port Hills.

JohnGaul
NZTS