Lake Tekapo webcam

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Lake Tekapo webcam

Unread post by Skywatcher »

I didn't know there was a webcam on Mt John with a great view over Lake Tekapo. Gives a good indication of the amount of snow on the mountains round the Mackenzie basin especially when you compare it with images in the webcam archive e.g. 30th May.

http://www.tekapotourism.co.nz/webcam.htm
RWood

Re: Lake Tekapo webcam

Unread post by RWood »

Steven Graham wrote:I didn't know there was a webcam on Mt John with a great view over Lake Tekapo. Gives a good indication of the amount of snow on the mountains round the Mackenzie basin especially when you compare it with images in the webcam archive e.g. 30th May.

Most impressive. That's not "winter" at all by Mackenzie standards!!!
Underlines Gary's comments very forcefully.

They quote NIWA numbers for a mean sunshine of 2180 hrs/year, but a couple of years or so of data from the current AWS indicates a significantly higher value than that.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Steven Graham wrote:I didn't know there was a webcam on Mt John with a great view over Lake Tekapo. Gives a good indication of the amount of snow on the mountains round the Mackenzie basin especially when you compare it with images in the webcam archive e.g. 30th May.

Most impressive. That's not "winter" at all by Mackenzie standards!!!
Underlines Gary's comments very forcefully.

They quote NIWA numbers for a mean sunshine of 2180 hrs/year, but a couple of years or so of data from the current AWS indicates a significantly higher value than that.
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

The camera has been operating only intermittently for quite a while, but I believe they are working on the reliability, so hopefully in future it'll be up more often than it's down.

The superintendents who live in the house at the top of Mount John have the best view in the world, in my opinion. If they weren't such damn nice people I'd hate their guts! :D ;)
Skywatcher

RWood wrote:They quote NIWA numbers for a mean sunshine of 2180 hrs/year, but a couple of years or so of data from the current AWS indicates a significantly higher value than that.
That 2180 hrs/year value is the same as the one I have in an Excel spreadsheet I downloaded from NIWA a while ago:
for the 1971-2000 period for locations having at least 5 complete years of data
So recent years are definitely not included.

I see they're using a cellular connection which probably explains the reliability problems. The view looks amazing - must do the walk next time I'm down that way.

Views from Omarama aren't bad either ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary Roberts

Steven Graham wrote:I see they're using a cellular connection which probably explains the reliability problems. The view looks amazing - must do the walk next time I'm down that way.
The observatory has a high-speed WLAN link back to CU...it's a shame they can't piggyback on that.

We've had some mega CDMA issues in the Mackenzie the last couple of months.
Views from Omarama aren't bad either ;)
Which pic is that? I can't view it...For some reason images often refuse to load in my browser...and here's me discussing the unreliability of the MJ webcam! :D
Skywatcher

The pic is a panorama which includes Benmore Peak that I took from the Countrytime hotel as the sun was setting on Good Friday last year.

If this link doesn't work in your browser, you could try right clicking and saving it: http://www.weatherforum.org.nz/forum/fi ... ma_111.jpg
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Gary, what ever happened to that weather station up on Benmore Peak?
Why can't we view the info?
Gary Roberts

Foggy Hamilton wrote:Gary, what ever happened to that weather station up on Benmore Peak?
Why can't we view the info?
Ha! A story too long to tell here!

It's all ready to go, but I made the mistake of farming a certain portion of the necessary work out, and it set us back a long way as a result.

Hauling 100's of Kg in deep-cycle batteries up the Benmore Peak track through the spring thaw is no fun at all, believe me.

If this weather keeps up, and I imagine it will, the window of opportunity should be open again very soon.
Gary Roberts

Steven Graham wrote:The pic is a panorama which includes Benmore Peak that I took from the Countrytime hotel as the sun was setting on Good Friday last year.

If this link doesn't work in your browser, you could try right clicking and saving it: http://www.weatherforum.org.nz/forum/fi ... ma_111.jpg
Hey! That's my mountain!

Benmore Peak is the pointy bit dead-center. To the right of it is Totara Peak, and that small mountain immediately to the left of it is The Buscot.