Outlook unsettled

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZstorm

Outlook unsettled

Unread post by NZstorm »

This coming week looks unsettled, unlike last week. But I doubt there will be much interesting weather although there will be plenty of showers on the way for exposed areas. With the big H over southern Australia, southwesterlies are on the way.

We are seeing more of that easterly in Aucks today with cloud/isolated showers.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Re: Outlook unsettled

Unread post by Michael »

Boring :!: :!: :!: who says winters over :cry:
NZstorm wrote:This coming week looks unsettled, although there will be plenty of showers on the way for exposed areas. With the big H over southern Australia, southwesterlies are on the way.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

NZstorm wrote:This coming week looks unsettled, unlike last week. But I doubt there will be much interesting weather although there will be plenty of showers on the way for exposed areas. With the big H over southern Australia, southwesterlies are on the way.

....might be a hint of thunder in the air on Wednesday here according to MetService's long-range :D
I hope so,bugger anything else of the weather mentioned in the long range ...but I bet ya the word thunder is dropped off as the time draws nearer :-w
JohnGaul
NZTS
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
....might be a hint of thunder in the air on Wednesday here according to MetService's long-range :D
I hope so,bugger anything else of the weather mentioned in the long range ...but I bet ya the word thunder is dropped off as the time draws nearer :-w
JohnGaul
NZTS
Yes Wednesday is a possiblity along with the weekend, Although i doubt thunderstorms for Christchruch. Canterbury, yes there is a chance.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

....might be a hint of thunder in the air on Wednesday here according to MetService's long-range
West Coast of the South Island will cop the thunderstorms as usual. Maybe coastal Southland/Taranaki mid week as well.
tich

Unread post by tich »

The long-range models seem to vary alot in their predictions for the coming week. GASP is going for a bitterly cold southwesterly change about Wednesday/Thursday, with the 520 thickness line cutting through the central North Island. Looks like a scenario for widespread low-level snow in both islands, but both GASP and GFS have been known to put out extreme prognoses (including 'bomb' type lows) for later in their outlook periods, only to scale them down as the predicted events draw closer.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Thats like for the 27/28 weekend a couple of days ago the GFS had a cold pool off -38C coming over chch but the closer we get to the date this figure quickly changes. Bugger what a storm we could have had
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

03 Stormchaser wrote:Thats like for the 27/28 weekend a couple of days ago the GFS had a cold pool off -38C coming over chch but the closer we get to the date this figure quickly changes. Bugger what a storm we could have had

....that's why I dont trust those models :x
always loose the 'interesting' weather format as the time of the event draws closer :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

03 Stormchaser wrote:Thats like for the 27/28 weekend a couple of days ago the GFS had a cold pool off -38C coming over chch but the closer we get to the date this figure quickly changes. Bugger what a storm we could have had

....that's why I dont trust those models :x
always loose the 'interesting' weather format as the time of the event draws closer :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
I guess nobody wants to end up like that "There will be no hurricane" guy in England. He was right (apparently the storm wasn't your actual official-type hurricane), but it still cost him. ;)
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Rubbish of a day here, drizzly showers all day with low cloud and a northeaster, 13c

Rain tonight
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Been ok here today however it will change by Wed/thurs with Gale Force winds and Rain especially from Thursday :cry:
Foggy Hamilton wrote:Rubbish of a day here, drizzly showers all day with low cloud and a northeaster, 13c

Rain tonight
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

I guess nobody wants to end up like that "There will be no hurricane" guy in England. He was right (apparently the storm wasn't your actual official-type hurricane), but it still cost him.
I actualy met the famouse Michael Fish when I was over there just after easter.
he was mbadly mis quoted by the media, with the things reported and said out of context, as he was anwering a Q from someone who had a friend in Florida and who was asking about a hurricane there. He did warn the public it was going to be a rough night, and to batten down the hatches...
but everyone was surprised at how veroucious the storm eneded up being that night
(and yes he also commente too that it (at the time) was not a hurricane in the true sense, as hurricanes only occur in certain parts of the world (i.e tropics etc)
but it did make him famous! ;)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Manukau heads observer wrote:
I guess nobody wants to end up like that "There will be no hurricane" guy in England. He was right (apparently the storm wasn't your actual official-type hurricane), but it still cost him.
I actualy met the famouse Michael Fish when I was over there just after easter.
he was mbadly mis quoted by the media, with the things reported and said out of context, as he was anwering a Q from someone who had a friend in Florida and who was asking about a hurricane there. He did warn the public it was going to be a rough night, and to batten down the hatches...
but everyone was surprised at how veroucious the storm eneded up being that night
(and yes he also commente too that it (at the time) was not a hurricane in the true sense, as hurricanes only occur in certain parts of the world (i.e tropics etc)
but it did make him famous! ;)

I think it was the same storm, although I'm not 100% certain on this, that nearly killed the late Gordon Kaye (of "allo,'allo" fame) when a bit of timber hit him in the forehead. You could see the indentation in some of the programmes of the later years of the hit comedy, that sometinmes appears here on UKTV nowdays.

JohnGaul
NZTS

JohnGaul
NZTS
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

and yes he also commente too that it (at the time) was not a hurricane in the true
I was living in London at the time and saw Michael Fish make that comment on National TV just hours before one of the worst storms ever to hit the Uk started devasting parts of SW England. The storm moved onto London about 4am and is the worst wind storm I've been in.

Found this photo taken along my street a day or two after the storm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary Roberts

Manukau heads observer wrote:I actualy met the famouse Michael Fish when I was over there just after easter.
I've met Nelson Mandela, Kiri Te Kanawa, Bill Clinton and James Belushi. :)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Gary Roberts wrote:
Manukau heads observer wrote:I actualy met the famouse Michael Fish when I was over there just after easter.
I've met Nelson Mandela, Kiri Te Kanawa, Bill Clinton and James Belushi. :)

WOW
I've shaken hands with Jim Salinger BEAT THAT :lol:

JohnGaul
NZTS
Gary Roberts

Gary Roberts wrote: I've met Nelson Mandela, Kiri Te Kanawa, Bill Clinton and James Belushi. :)

WOW
I've shaken hands with Jim Salinger BEAT THAT :lol:

JohnGaul
NZTS
Well my mate's brother's mechanic's accountant once saw Bill Oddie on a train. Game, set and match I think. :D
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

It may be the Oct 1987 storm :?:
spwill wrote:
and yes he also commente too that it (at the time) was not a hurricane in the true
I was living in London at the time and saw Michael Fish make that comment on National TV just hours before one of the worst storms ever to hit the Uk started devasting parts of SW England. The storm moved onto London about 4am and is the worst wind storm I've been in.

Found this photo taken along my street a day or two after the storm.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

i didnt actualy know michael fish was famous before I met him...didnt even know who he was.....
he actualy presented the weather on BBC for 26 years or something...
WOW I've shaken hands with Jim Salinger BEAT THAT
Thats nice.
Last edited by Manukau heads obs on Fri 26/08/2005 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Gary Roberts wrote:
Well my mate's brother's mechanic's accountant once saw Bill Oddie on a train. Game, set and match I think. :D
I stood beside Peter Jackson in Whitcoulls here in downtown Christchurch in the comic section whilst reading a VIZ magazine.
He was reading some boring Superman comic or something?
I said 'Excuse Me" whilst I put the VIZ mag back and reached for the latest "Rails" magazine.
This was in the 1980s when he was making the Frighteners movie in Lyttelton with Michael J. Fox

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

I stood beside Peter Jackson in Whitcoulls here in downtown Christchurch in the comic section whilst reading a VIZ magazine.
Now imagine if he were to remake the Superman movie(s) :lol:
Gary Roberts

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:I stood beside Peter Jackson in Whitcoulls here in downtown Christchurch in the comic section whilst reading a VIZ magazine.
I said 'Excuse Me" whilst I put the VIZ mag back and reached for the latest "Rails" magazine.
This was in the 1980s when he was making the Frighteners movie in Lyttelton with Michael J. Fox

JohnGaul
NZTS
VIZ was a laugh! Remember 'The Fat Slags'? HAHAHAHAHAAAAA...! Sigh... :D
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Gary Roberts wrote:
VIZ was a laugh! Remember 'The Fat Slags'? HAHAHAHAHAAAAA...! Sigh... :D

...Roger Mellie's Profanisaurus makes very interesting reading :lol: :lol:

JohnGaul
NZTS
Gary Roberts

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:...Roger Mellie's Profanisaurus makes very interesting reading :lol: :lol:

JohnGaul
NZTS
Is it still available John? I haven't seen or read it in at least 8-9 years. I really miss 'Dr Poo' sometimes. :D

EDIT: I just found their website (http://www.viz.co.uk/) and almost had a hernia laughing over 'Bertie Blunt'! AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA...!