Storm to the south tonight

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Storm to the south tonight

Unread post by Skywatcher »

OK, a bit misleading :) It was an auroral storm which I could clearly see from Templeton.

It's now foggy and not too long until moonrise so that's probably it for tonight :( Might be worth a look tomorrow night.

Here's a photo from the garden - not a great view with trying to avoid the street lights.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

EXCELLENT shot there Steven.
Makes up for a boring day here
What time was the photo taken?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Skywatcher

That photo was taken just before 10pm. There were rays almost reaching the Southern Cross while I was trying to find a better location to take a pic #-o
tich

Unread post by tich »

Damn I missed it. :( I wonder if it'll be visible again tonight - let's hope today's cloud clears by then.
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

tich wrote:Damn I missed it. :( I wonder if it'll be visible again tonight - let's hope today's cloud clears by then.
It was a ripper! Very bright, but lacking detail...still, not complaining, it was awesome stuff.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Yes, a nice looking Aurora there. Pity you couldn't get into a more open area, photo is still excellent though. I would love to get some pics of an Aurora myself. No chance of seeing one in Auckland but I did observe Aurora when I lived in Otago.
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

NZstorm wrote:Yes, a nice looking Aurora there. Pity you couldn't get into a more open area, photo is still excellent though. I would love to get some pics of an Aurora myself. No chance of seeing one in Auckland but I did observe Aurora when I lived in Otago.
I've seen it twice from Auckland - just need to get away from the streetlights!

Cheers,

G
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

GraemeWi wrote:I've seen it twice from Auckland - just need to get away from the streetlights!

Cheers,

G
I think there was a good reddish display visible on Auckland's southern horizon back in 2000.
Skywatcher

NZstorm wrote:Yes, a nice looking Aurora there. Pity you couldn't get into a more open area
It was a bit unexpected so I wasn't ready to drive out to a darker site with a clear horizon.

The photo below was taken after driving 40km to a beach near Rakaia Huts at about midnight on 17th January just after moonset.

A couple of pages to watch are:

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/rt_plots/kp_3d.html We need a Kp of 7 or more to see an aurora in NZ.

http://www.spacew.com/ Check the numbers above the two plots especially when their backgrounds turn red. High velocity and density numbers are good but you also want a big Bt and a big negative Bz.

Obviously you need it to be night and the sky clear and little or no moonlight and close to "local" midnight ...... ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.