Warm to start September

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

tich wrote:Apparently Tokoroa got up to 23C today :o - they seem to be having a very early summer there!
I can believe that, felt like 20c here.. returning to average temps soon though
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

What were the maximums today around NZ? anyone know?
Ricky's Grey Lynn station recorded 20.9C. Could be a radiation error in there as the day was calm.

That cooler change that was sweeping up the east coast of the country last day or two has arrived in Auckland with low cloud. Cloud base is very low so may burn off during the day. Should only get 16C in Auckland today.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

That cooler change that was sweeping up the east coast of the country last day or two has arrived in Auckland with low cloud
The cooler change gave us a warmer night, down to 14C at GreyLyn. Now 16C with the cloud clearing.

Looks like another mostly fine week here, maybe a shower on thursday.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Warm N.W breeze today and mostly sunny. Temp now 19.5 degrees :D
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Stratocumulus never really burnt off here, 17c light NE

Sun appearing now..

Even further easterlies on the way, mostly dry
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Andy wrote:Warm N.W breeze today and mostly sunny. Temp now 19.5 degrees :D
A typical spring pattern, with the wind all over the place, and frequent changes in temp, cloud cover, precipitation, etc.

On Benmore an hour ago we had light snow, then lots of sleet, a hell wind chill, all followed by clear skies again. That's about as much action weather as I'm happy to experience! ;)
tich

Unread post by tich »

On Benmore an hour ago we had light snow, then lots of sleet, a hell wind chill, all followed by clear skies again. That's about as much action weather as I'm happy to experience!
I presume you're talking about the 1800m mountain called Benmore, not the lake - seems rather too warm at present for low level snow.
Gary Roberts

tich wrote:
On Benmore an hour ago we had light snow, then lots of sleet, a hell wind chill, all followed by clear skies again. That's about as much action weather as I'm happy to experience!
I presume you're talking about the 1800m mountain called Benmore, not the lake - seems rather too warm at present for low level snow.
Heh...yeah, sorry, I meant Benmore Peak! :D
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

A warm windy 21.6 degree max in Alex today, things are starting to get quite dry more like November than September.

11mm in the last 65 days :shock:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Gary Roberts wrote:
A typical spring pattern, with the wind all over the place, and frequent changes in temp, cloud cover, precipitation, etc.

On Benmore an hour ago we had light snow, then lots of sleet, a hell wind chill, all followed by clear skies again. That's about as much action weather as I'm happy to experience! ;)
Yes the Alps had that sort of "Wet" look about them today with that rainband along it. However, it looked too shallow for thunderstorm development. You could see the foothills through eastward protubering showers.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Gary Roberts

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
Gary Roberts wrote:

Yes the Alps had that sort of "Wet" look about them today with that rainband along it. However, it looked too shallow for thunderstorm development. You could see the foothills through eastward protubering showers.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Yep. I was a little worried about the new not-yet-earthed antennas we were installing but there wasn't even a hint of electrical activity, just a bit of icy stuff and some wind.
Gary Roberts

Andy wrote:A warm windy 21.6 degree max in Alex today, things are starting to get quite dry more like November than September.

11mm in the last 65 days :shock:
Interesting localisation. It's been anything but dry here, although warm when the sun's out. What wind direction are you getting down there Andy? If it's the same wind, the mechanisms which alter the effects (warm dry there, wet here) are fascinating.