Nelson Weather Website

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Nelson Weather Website

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Folks.
Welcome to Chris MacKenzie (Psychoweather) to this forum.
He's 13 and has his own weather page at http://nelsonweather.co.nz/
An interesting article appeared in the local Nelson rag on his acheivements so far in meteorology, beating the experts.
You can read about it on Jeff Northcott's site ...in the news ...Chris takes Conference by Storm
He's mad on storms so hopefully he will be an asset to this forum.

JohnGaul
NZTS
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

. . . . now he just needs to post! :)
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Its not often they get storms exception is a humid N flow :lol:
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nelson Weather Website

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Folks.
Welcome to Chris MacKenzie (Psychoweather) to this forum.
An interesting article appeared in the local Nelson rag on his acheivements so far in meteorology, beating the experts.
You can read about it on Jeff Northcott's site ...in the news ...Chris takes Conference by Storm
He's mad on storms so hopefully he will be an asset to this forum.

JohnGaul
NZTS
I love his comment about being more accurate than the Metservice...now their HR vipers have to decide whether or not to hire him in a few years! :twisted: ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

03 Stormchaser wrote:. . . . now he just needs to post! :)
he's probably in bed now...school tomorrow ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Gary Roberts wrote:
I love his comment about being more accurate than the Metservice...now their HR vipers have to decide whether or not to hire him in a few years! :twisted: ;)
Maybe He could make a new Brendon? :lol:

JohnGaul
NZTS
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Folks.
JohnGaul
NZTS
In this PC society 'year 13' means Form 7, same as myself I guess

Dunno what his weather model he says he runss??
My forecasts are 100% original based off my weather models and observations
:roll:
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

That Auckland university thing uses that Grads program I think to download GFS data or something, in a sense they run their own weather model. Maybe it's something like that? (or maybe I'm just all wrong? lol)

Sounds like he's interested in thunderstorms, good stuff!

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I know that you are 6 foot something but I thought you were in your twenties? :? :roll:
...speaking of unknowing, someone did on this forum thought that Tich was a woman??????????

JohnGaul
NZTS

...by the way, I hope you don't mind Ben, but Tich is the son of Nancy Tichbourne the Artist with a speciallality in Cat and Flower drawings/paintings.
Last edited by NZ Thunderstorm Soc on Sun 11/09/2005 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Obviously now I have been cast aside for the new apprentice to take his place at John's armchair, lol.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:Obviously now I have been cast aside for the new apprentice to take his place at John's armchair, lol.

Cheers

Yes Aaron. I have his NZTS T-Shirt ready and wrapped to send up in the mail at first light in the morning, sorry ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:I kwow that you are 6 foot something but I thought you were in your twenties? :?
...mind you someone on this forum thought Tich was a woman??????????

JohnGaul
NZTS

quote]
LOL that was me :oops: nope i'm 17
That Auckland university thing uses that Grads program I think to download GFS data or something, in a sense they run their own weather model.
Yes, 'MM5' which is widely avaliable so maybe he does use it. MM5 takes into account such things as terrain, high-resolution topography and so on.

Models such as GFS, ECMWF etc are on a meso-alpha scale (200-2000km resolution) And can be poor indicators of localised tstorms as NZstorm has said once
Then the next step up is MM5, which i'm pretty sure the MetService uses of some sort off it's UKMO model. MM5 is at a meso-beta scale @ 20-200km)
NZ has no meso-gamma scale models
weatherpsycho

Unread post by weatherpsycho »

I am 17 and off to Victoria uni next year to study geophysics (meteorology side). I am a weather psycho; all I think about is destructive storms, although they are very rare here. We have only had one lightning storm this year. It was in Feb, the sun was shinning into the CB making a rainbow with lightning flashes everywhere. I had to skip school to watch it.

I was shown https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/PUBLIC/ models by John Matheson (Independent Nelson weather forecaster). I find there accuracy very high. September 22 last year the models were predicting heavy rain with strong winds for the 28th. The met had not picked this up until a day before. Sure enough heavy rain with strong winds with some flooding.

I have been forecasting for 2 years now. I used to forecast for the whole of NZ but found it was too time consuming getting up at 5am each morning. I have been on local radios and I may have won the regional sci fair on a forecast flow chart.

My life goal is to witness the most server thunderstorm, see a tornado, witness a cat 5 cyclone and when Im too old I want to be killed by lightning.
People up here seem to be fascinated with my obsession for weather.

I would love to learn more about the terminology like GFS, ECMWF . I have never really talked to anyone that knows anything about weather. The only knowledge I have is from them NZ weather book.

I just use my local knowledge of nelsons weather patterns and apply them to the model.

I would love to know how u guys forecast storms.

GTG Weather Psycho
NelsonWeather.co.nz
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Welcome Chris
weatherpsycho wrote:I am 17 and off to Victoria uni next year to study geophysics (meteorology side). I am a weather psycho; all I think about is destructive storms,
Dont worry, keep taking the pills, you will get better. :) Having said that, there are plenty others on this forum who have the same disease... Must have a word to Pharmac...
weatherpsycho wrote: I was shown https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/PUBLIC/ models by John Matheson (Independent Nelson weather forecaster). I find there accuracy very high.
Keep looking, you can do much better than that.
weatherpsycho wrote:My life goal is to witness the most server thunderstorm, see a tornado, witness a cat 5 cyclone and when Im too old I want to be killed by lightning.
Crikey, I take it all back, you are the weirdest guy on this forum. The problem I have with that goal is how many innocent people are going to get injured, killed, or have their lives ruined while you fulfil it?

weatherpsycho wrote:People up here seem to be fascinated with my obsession for weather.
No mate, they're worried about your health... :)

weatherpsycho wrote:I would love to learn more about the terminology like GFS, ECMWF . I have never really talked to anyone that knows anything about weather. The only knowledge I have is from them NZ weather book.

I just use my local knowledge of nelsons weather patterns and apply them to the model.

I would love to know how u guys forecast storms.
Well its all here, just start searching the archives... And if you cant answer your questions from exisiting material start asking new ones, we'll do our best to answer.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

you will find other weather freaks here, LOL, so welcome aboard
the navy nogaps likes to exagerate things a bit, and put things further west than were they end up
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Weather psycho said
when Im too old I want to be killed by lightning.
:shock:
Sunny Nelson is the right place for you to live.

Welcome to the Forum, will be good to have reports from Nelson.