Hi everyone Just introducing myself. Joecam

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
joecam

Hi everyone Just introducing myself. Joecam

Unread post by joecam »

Hello everyone. My name is Joe Morgan I stumbled across this site through a link Jeff's weather page in Christchurch. I am a "bit of a weather fan" myself. I've seen and filmed a little bit of weather in my time. Great site you have here. I'm living in hope of the cold snap eventuating on Monday in Christchurch 'coz I'm in town that day.<grin>
Regards
Joe M
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hi everyone Just introducing myself. Joecam

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

joecam wrote:Hello everyone. My name is Joe Morgan I stumbled across this site through a link Jeff's weather page in Christchurch. I am a "bit of a weather fan" myself. I've seen and filmed a little bit of weather in my time. Great site you have here. I'm living in hope of the cold snap eventuating on Monday in Christchurch 'coz I'm in town that day.<grin>
Regards
Joe M
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum! I still retain some hope that we'll see some action weather down here in the south. ;)
Skywatcher

Re: Hi everyone Just introducing myself. Joecam

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Welcome to the forum, Joe.
joecam wrote:... a little bit of weather ...
That's an interesting description of typhoons ;)
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

lol a little interested in weather aye ;)
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
spike_01

Unread post by spike_01 »

Hi ya Joe... Heres some for ya... 8)

WINTRY OUTBREAK FORECAST FOR THE SOUTH ISLAND
A series of cold fronts are forecast to cross the South Island later
today and on Monday, bringing strong cold southerlies and wintry
conditions to eastern areas. Snow is forecast down to 200 to 300
metres, with sleety conditions near sea level. The heaviest falls of
snow are expected about the Catlins, the eastern hills and ranges of
Otago, Canterbury and about the Kaikoura Ranges. In these areas, 15
to 25cm of snow is likely above 500 metres, with 5 to 10cm possible
down to 300 metres. Farmers should be warned that the combination of
snow,strong winds and bitterly cold temperatures is likely to put
severe stress on new born lambs. Also, travellers in these areas may
need to be prepared for snow related problems, especially on higher
roads.
joecam

Thanks!

Unread post by joecam »

Thanks for the welcomes.
Funnily enough I am filming for TV3 tomorrow.......
So we are gearing up for the ususal Lambs and Stuck cars. Its just a waiting game now. (I'll await a call from Auckland if it comes in the wee hours)
I only just took the Mud tyres off the 4wd so i have to put them back on Darn it.
I did not realise that some of you know me and my mad mate.
He's in Central with his truck cruising around waiting.
A question, If I have some pix do I just link to them here and put them on my server (I think I got that sorted by reading the FAQ's) But I just want to confirm.
Cheers
Joe :)
Gary Roberts

Re: Thanks!

joecam wrote: A question, If I have some pix do I just link to them here and put them on my server (I think I got that sorted by reading the FAQ's) But I just want to confirm.
Cheers
That's how I do it. There's a thumbnail facility but I've never tumbled it.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Are you Joe Morgan the one Geoff Mackley meets up wif on typhoon and hurricane chases :? :D you have same name anywayz.
Cheers
JASON.
joecam

Unread post by joecam »

Yes
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Ahh ha didn't know you were from CHCH mind you so is Geoff good to see you on here tell us abit about that time you came across that unexpected big wave that swept you during that hurrricane I believe you almost got snagged on something?.
6 active systems across world at the moment including one that may reach Category 1 and be around the general area of New Orleans :shock: .
Cheers
JASON.
Skywatcher

Re: Thanks!

Unread post by Skywatcher »

joecam wrote:A question, If I have some pix do I just link to them here and put them on my server (I think I got that sorted by reading the FAQ's)
If the image isn't too big then you can embed it in the message by typing/pasting the URL from your server, highlight the text then click the Img button. That will add the "BBCode".

If it's big then it's better to use the URL button instead so that it just appears a link.

If you didn't have your own server, or you're in a hurry, you can add up to five pics as Attachments to each post. That will upload copies to the website and create clickable thumbnails for them.
joecam

Unread post by joecam »

The fella swept up from under the pole house was Jim Edds from Florida. That incident happened in Nth Carolina. I filmed it then panned to Geoff and we were both so happy about the dramatics that we actually forgot poor old Jim was washed accross the street and into the trailer park, he was all OK. We met him over there he's another mate of Geoffs.I was the one who had the building window fall just where I had been standing in Taiwan or Korea I can't remember which country. It was a fun shoot I must say. We were in USA Tornado chasing in June this year but it was only an average shoot. Got pinned in an abandoned house by a supercell dumping on us. then the Hire truck got whacked with nasty hail. The truck was rented on MY credit card! Lucky I took out the "all risks insurance" :)
Cheers
Joe
joecam

Unread post by joecam »

Thank you for that Steven.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

joecam wrote:The fella swept up from under the pole house was Jim Edds from Florida. That incident happened in Nth Carolina. I filmed it then panned to Geoff and we were both so happy about the dramatics that we actually forgot poor old Jim was washed accross the street and into the trailer park, he was all OK. We met him over there he's another mate of Geoffs.I was the one who had the building window fall just where I had been standing in Taiwan or Korea I can't remember which country. It was a fun shoot I must say. We were in USA Tornado chasing in June this year but it was only an average shoot. Got pinned in an abandoned house by a supercell dumping on us. then the Hire truck got whacked with nasty hail. The truck was rented on MY credit card! Lucky I took out the "all risks insurance" :)
Cheers
Joe
What a life! :D
joecam

Unread post by joecam »

I'm just trying a pic attachement. Nothing special just Mackley and me in Oklahoma with a sign that the hotel put up for us....we felt honoured! Thats me on the left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

So thats what you look like Joe, after all the years of emailing, LOL
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Hi Joecam, welcome to the forum.

Re the hail/insurance in USA. Some thing happened to me but luckily I had the full gamut of insurance. The hail was 5cm, just big enough to damage the car and make it a right off. I felt a bit guilty as the car only had 200miles on the clock when I hired it. :)
Gary Roberts

Foggy Hamilton wrote:...the Hire truck got whacked with nasty hail. The truck was rented on MY credit card! Lucky I took out the "all risks insurance" :)
Cheers
Joe
Pfft! That's nothing! I once left the window down in my Land Cruiser and it rained. The seat took ages to dry.
joecam

Unread post by joecam »

Funny eh? i can email for years I can badger you everytime my weather station had a PC upgrade! Then I can be in the middle of nowhere with a fella I just met in the Midwest of the USA chasing Tornados and HE says to me do I know you and I should talk you into coming over next year!
Now THIS.........Phew its a small world Brian!
PS My weather station is being relocated along with me and I plan to get it going Before xmas. I'll also be needing another number for it :D
joecam

Weather stories on TV1 and TV3 Comparison

Unread post by joecam »

I hope we did better than TV1. I never saw the stories tonight. I was tied up with a live cross on the port hills in the Snow and Hail I must say it was very "stressful" up there. All that Satellite gear and 10" deep snow in the paddock and cows everywhere. The winchill factor was "bloody cold"
I filmed the Geoff Hampton story today on Banks Peninsula where the snow was about 5 inches and the road was slippery I found a mad linesman doing his best to hang on to the pole in the southerly gale and get the power back on.
PS My seat got wet too!

Cheers
Gary Roberts

Re: Weather stories on TV1 and TV3 Comparison

joecam wrote:I hope we did better than TV1. I never saw the stories tonight. I was tied up with a live cross on the port hills in the Snow and Hail I must say it was very "stressful" up there. All that Satellite gear and 10" deep snow in the paddock and cows everywhere. The winchill factor was "bloody cold"
I filmed the Geoff Hampton story today on Banks Peninsula where the snow was about 5 inches and the road was slippery I found a mad linesman doing his best to hang on to the pole in the southerly gale and get the power back on.
PS My seat got wet too!

Cheers
TV1 was too busy trying to figure out a way to get National in power. ;)

I bet my seat got wetter than your seat. Nyah nyah.
joecam

Pic from todays work

Unread post by joecam »

Matt Southeran of Independent Line services on Long Bay Road on Banks peninsula.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: Pic from todays work

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

joecam wrote:Matt Southeran of Independent Line services on Long Bay Road on Banks peninsula.
I saw that poor bugger on TV, hanging off that pole :(

What away to go ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

I knew I should have watched TV3 :shock: ;)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: Weather stories on TV1 and TV3 Comparison

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

joecam wrote:I hope we did better than TV1. I never saw the stories tonight. I was tied up with a live cross on the port hills in the Snow and Hail I must say it was very "stressful" up there. All that Satellite gear and 10" deep snow in the paddock and cows everywhere. The winchill factor was "bloody cold"
PS My seat got wet too!

Cheers
I managed to see both reports (as Gary said thatTV1 was too busy trying to figure out a way to get National in power) so I watched TV3's weather item then TV1's one. Good coverage.
One thing about today's event. Why did the city nearly shutdown???
I noticed that the shops in Barrington Mall were closed except for Fresh choice who were closing at 6pm "because of the weather"
For goodness sake.
If it snowed in Ankorage, Alaska would the city close down because of the weather?????

JohnGaul
NZTS