Another "cold blast" next week?

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

SW hasnt given up yet just had a belt of wind for 5 minutes around half past seven roaring over the roof and chucking all the plastic chairs around for the first time today.
Gusts around that point reached 90kmh also a large willow brach snapped with a loud crack about 3 doors down still blwoing a real gale here but should ease before midnight just when I thought the winds were easing aye :D
Cheers
JASON.
gllitznz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Out of curiousity...

Unread post by gllitznz »

I'm sure one of the experts out there knows...looking at the loops I make of sat pics (download the sat pics from wherever and go through them with a pic viewer in a loop :-)...I know, high tech stuff...) I have noticed a very distinct line of cloud just passing over Tasmania and what would appear to be over the front that is lying near there now...would this be the Jet Stream? I don't think I have ever seen it that distinctly...oh, and the low off the Cantab coast is impressive, indeed...been gusting here all day w/branches/leaves/petals everywhere (gonna hafta do a bit of a cleanup when all over...doh! :? ...At least the panes on the tomato glass house out back didn't break like they did with the hailstorm back in May... :D
Willoughby
Site Admin

Re: Out of curiousity...

Unread post by Willoughby »

gllitznz wrote: I have noticed a very distinct line of cloud just passing over Tasmania and what would appear to be over the front that is lying near there now...would this be the Jet Stream? I don't think I have ever seen it that distinctly...
There is a lot of jetstream cloud that forms through central WA which turns to light rain for the interior, and the North Island often gets jetstream cloud from when it develops in central Queensland ;)
Jetstreams can often turn depressions very deep
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

JohnGaul
NZTS

The Jetstream shows up quite nicely on the 7pm MetService Satpic.
Extending outwards from off the south of Australia into the Tasman Sea over the next cold front to blast it's way over NZ.
See the cold showery lumpy cloud in behind that front.
Looks like thunderstorms in that lot for the west of the country ...
...and of course.. Auckland :roll:
Storm Struck

People's of CHCH take a look to the SW looks like trouble brewing and 7pm radar shows something too. 8)
Here's hoping for thunder Mamatus to SE as well dark looking.
Cheers
JASON.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

JohnGaul
NZTS

Yes Jase, that rain had arrived here with 4mm falling here to now from 8pm when the front went over.
Looks as though it may clear up in accordance with the weather forecast.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Rain period came and (hopefully) is finished for this evening. Certainly knocked several degrees of the temperature - now only about 5C. Quite possibly a dusting of snow on the higher peninsula hills.
BTW I noticed a towering cb well to the northeast of the the city about 7.30pm.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Christchurch should be in for heavy rain on Saturday morning ;)
Willoughby
Site Admin

There are currently a lot of strikes being picked up in the Cook Strait and Wellington by the MetService trackers!
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

JohnGaul
NZTS

Yes, folks, anything can happen in low pressure systems like what is occuring over the country at the present. :D
Storm Struck

Slight heavy rain here and dropping temperatures i was hoping for a downpour and a few claps of thunder but ohh well :D .
Yes 3mm here from that rain tomorrow looks ok rain developing with heavy falls later hmmm dear i mention thunder HEY WHO SAID THAT 8-[ .
To note too that lower cloud that was drifting in later this afternoon here completely sucked up into the upper level stuff and by time lighter southerly arrived it was gone just to note on that for next time occasions.
Cheers
JASON.