Cool, Wet and Windy Westerlies

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Just finished going through the rest of my pictures from Saturday. I found a better one of Oaia island and one of the squall not too far off.

The island is 1.4km off the beach to give it some scale of distance. The white dots on top are gannetts.

Cheers,

G
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
squid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by squid »

home of the squall line eh umm care to explain lol sorry having a blonde moment here hey like those pics esp that dark cloud one looks like a nice squall there just the way i like it just waiting for these heavy showers and stoms to come onshore man hurry up lol
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

squid wrote:home of the squall line eh umm care to explain lol sorry having a blonde moment here
Don't worry, 100% of the Dargaville/Kaipara population wouldn't know this fact. ;)

From Weatherzone:
Squall Line:
A solid or nearly solid band of active thunderstorms. Generally, the distance between individual storms is less than the diameter of the individual storms. Accompanied by strong, squally winds. Generally occur in situations of little directional wind shear but strong speed shear.

Another good link: http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/150/

Kaipara has the most squall line occurances in Aotearoa, closely followed by the Kawhia-Hamilton-Raglan triangle, which often weaken as they reach Auckland in an unstable W to SW flow.

If I were you, i'd change my username to Squally Squid! :D
squid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by squid »

well i didnt even know that the kaipara region is themost squall prone region in New Zealand learn something new everyday and it is nice to know and i can testify to that aswell believe me