Christmas/Cassidy

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Christmas/Cassidy

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

JohnGaul
NZTS

I see that Christmas/Cassidy is back in the places in NOAA that has of New Zealand in their internet weather source at http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/NZ_cc.html
Don't American's know that that place is not in New Zealand but somewhere out in the Pacific near Indonesia :roll:
Ohakea and Whenuapai did mention a few times but recently they are not there.
Apart from the 3 main airports, why don't they include Dunedin or Queentown or Hamilton instead of this Christmas/Cassidy rubbish ???? :roll:
Even readings from Levels airport near Timaru or Hilderthorpe Airport north of Oamaru would be of more use especially when a Sw change moves up the Canterbury Coast, rather than Christmas/Cassidy info

Quote:

"How did that storm that moved up the Canterbury Coast affect you?"

"I don't know, but according to NOAA it was 27C in Christmas/Cassidy, if Hilderthorpe was there, we would of been onto it"
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

http://www.wunderground.com/global/NZ.html
use that site John ;) , which must be sourcing it from the met service raw data at
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/ind ... key=194020
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

The three international airports are the only Metars (hourly obs) which are exchanged internationally. So those are the only ones NOAA can get. All the other metars from NZ are only circulated internally, and are pretty tightly wrapped up, although there are ways to get them as Foggy has found out.

As for why Noaa include Christmas Island with the NZ obs, I have no idea. Did (does) NZ administer affairs on Christmas Island perhaps?
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

TonyT wrote: So those are the only ones NOAA can get. All the other metars from NZ are only circulated internally, and are pretty tightly wrapped up
Not so..

Metvuw.com gets all the raw data from MetService just like many other websites, observations every 3 hours however.
http://www.metvuw.com/nzweather/index.php?type=tempc

I just battle to understand why Hamilton has been left out of that dataset??
Skywatcher

Unread post by Skywatcher »

"Christmas/Cassidy" is Cassidy Airport on Kiritimati (Christmas) Island in Kiribati in the Pacific and not the one belonging to Aussie in the Indian Ocean near Indonesia. I thought there was only one until it was mentioned during a TC a few years ago.

Makes it more likely it was run by NZ (or at least its weather station) as Tony says.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

did you see my post TonyT?
wunderground and metvuw use the raw coded data that the met service do publish every 3 hours
(i used to decode it and show it in human readable format,and make that available for all to see but they kept on changing the url so may times to where to find it i gave up in the end)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
jrj

Unread post by jrj »

Which is a pity.......any chance of bringing it back?
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Read the fine print folks...

The 3 hourly data are SYNOPS from automatic weather stations, not METARs from real observers. There is quite a difference, not least in the 3 hour resolution. I dont think Metvuw or anyone else can receive the internal Metars let alone publish them. Its something to do with an arrangement Metservice have with Airways Corporation whereby MS provide forecasts for general aviation use in exchange for Airways staff doing the observations.

AFAIK there is nothing in the WMO directives requiring international dissemination of METARs from non-international airports. However, they do require (not sure if its "require" or "encourage" or some other similar word) the exchange of SYNOPs, which is why our SYNOPs end up on web sites all over the world, and why MS eventually decided to publish them locally. There was a time, many years ago, when we had no access to local SYNOPS from within NZ, we had to get them from international sites. The only way to get them direct from MS was to pay for them (and a very high price was asked IIRC). Fortunately the Commerce Commission helped sort out that issue. :)
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

TonyT wrote:Read the fine print folks...

The 3 hourly data are SYNOPS from automatic weather stations, not METARs from real observers. There is quite a difference, not least in the 3 hour resolution. I dont think Metvuw or anyone else can receive the internal Metars let alone publish them. Its something to do with an arrangement Metservice have with Airways Corporation whereby MS provide forecasts for general aviation use in exchange for Airways staff doing the observations.

AFAIK there is nothing in the WMO directives requiring international dissemination of METARs from non-international airports. However, they do require (not sure if its "require" or "encourage" or some other similar word) the exchange of SYNOPs, which is why our SYNOPs end up on web sites all over the world, and why MS eventually decided to publish them locally. There was a time, many years ago, when we had no access to local SYNOPS from within NZ, we had to get them from international sites. The only way to get them direct from MS was to pay for them (and a very high price was asked IIRC). Fortunately the Commerce Commission helped sort out that issue. :)
When it comes to weather-related outfits, I've decided that it must all be a matter of National Security.

For instance when I recently contacted a certain organization with the letters "N", "I", "W" and "A" in their title regards the possibility of sharing data from sites they administer at various airports here in the Mackenzie with that from my own, they hit my weather station sites hard for a while, but not one person ever bothered to reply in any shape or form.

Same deal with a guy with the letters "M", "E", "T", "V", "U" and "W" in the title of his site: never a single reply or response to my enquiries.

Yes, the only rational conclusion which can be drawn is that weather stuff is way too important for the likes of us. Maybe I should consider myself lucky that an antiterrorsit S.W.A.T. team didn't get me.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Manukau heads observer wrote:http://www.wunderground.com/global/NZ.html
use that site John ;) , which must be sourcing it from the met service raw data at
http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/ind ... key=194020
JohnGaul
NZTS

Cheers, Brian , thanks for that :)