It's Quite Warm

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Willoughby
Site Admin

It's Quite Warm

Unread post by Willoughby »

Anyone else noticing it's a little warm for early November?
We're forecast by the MetService to hit 24c today and 25c tomorrow..
Alexandra 28c today.

And with Christchurch reaching 30c last week, potentials for further in the east of both islands this Thursday/Friday.. and Saturday for Hawke's Bay northwards.

Luckily NZ will cool down from Saturday through to Tuesday under a cooler W'ly airstream

If the trends continue into Summer.. there could be some dire consequences, no one's complaining.. yet!

Cheers
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Looks the type of situation comming up that may give storms to East Coast Otago and perhaps other eastern areas as well.
Last edited by spwill on Wed 09/11/2005 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
spike_01
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by spike_01 »

Peeps that rely on Tank Water here are already starting to worry... Rain is waaaaaaaaaaaayyy down... :?
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Your right on the money Spwill. \:D/

This Saturday afternoon there should be thunderstorms in Canterbury aslong as models are looking the way the are today! It isn't a huge way out but it's not tomorrow either so things could still change but hopefully things stay the way they are, or improve but that never really seems to happen with weather models unfortunately.

Nice day in Chch today.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes lets hope saturday becomes our first thunder day of this season :D .
Warm today 23.2C not bad for a clear NE breeze day id say warmer tomorrow I predict a max of 27C due to the fact of the strenthining NW wind developing inland areas and then perhaps spreading to the east coast by late afternoon or evening.
But id have to say 30C or more on Friday Show day 8) but isnt it nice all this warm weather especially when you drive with your windows down like today with just slight cool breeze makes it feel summery 8) .
Might have to get that thunder prediction scale John soon for the first time in awhile here's hoping.
Cheers
JASON.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

November 1982 was warmer esp in the east
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The South Island Thunderstorm risk for Saturday has been on the cards all week. I made a comment on this on Sunday on another thread. :)

Also, I think there is a slight risk for the North Island at this stage.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Warm here today 28.8 with clear blue skies ;) Too hot when you are out working in it all day :(
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

22 here today :D
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Too right Steven, you did. From about last Sunday I could also see what looked like a change in the models but could'nt really pick a day where things would be interesting until closer to the time. This morning, Monday looked like a really good day but now it looks as if Saturday should provide something! I hope! From Saturday onwards the weather should be in a more interesting period however timing will dictate what happens etc.

John??!! :D Your thoughts, what does ECMWF tell us! I think it looks interesting.

Tomorrow and Friday should be warm as others have said.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
tich

Unread post by tich »

Only just after 10am and we've already passed the 24C max predicted by MetService - today could easily reach (or surpass) the 28C max forecast for tomorrow.
jeffsweather

Unread post by jeffsweather »

tich wrote:Only just after 10am and we've already passed the 24C max predicted by MetService - today could easily reach (or surpass) the 28C max forecast for tomorrow.
Passed 30 degrees for the second day this month at my station 30.6 at 12:50. What will tomorrow bring?
A westerly has come up at 1pm with 30.2. Most locals would probably say this is typical show week weather.
dogmelon

Unread post by dogmelon »

Looks like Summer has come for November this time around. Back to Winter next month on...
If there is a storm on Saturday in chch will it be one of those 10 minute hail jobs on a cool change or a warm day boil-up one?
tich

Unread post by tich »

Looks like Summer has come for November this time around. Back to Winter next month on...
Warm weather in November doesn't necessarily mean a warm summer. November 2004 was warm, but look what happened in December. (not that we're likely to get a repeat of the exceptionally wintry weather of last December again this year)
dogmelon

Unread post by dogmelon »

That is right, it does not. It means this is all your going to get so enjoy it while it is here which i have been. It is very nice.
Storm Struck

Well it bet my predicted max today as i said yesterday 27C for today well throw that out the window 31C right now 8) also very hot at the show.
I was talking to Bob Mc Davitt at the MS stall at AMP show some great stuff to talk about.
Tomorrow Iam looking at max of 30C :D but i believe it may hit ( cough cough) 34-35C here's hoping ;) .
Cheers
JASON.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Sun's almost setting and it's still in the mid 20s. :) Yes tomorrow could easily be another hot day, but more cloud is forecast, along with strengthening northwesterlies, so it might not get as hot.

This afternoon's radar shots have been showing what looks like solid rain developing in North Otago, esp by 7pm. However, Oamaru showed no precipitation on the 7pm obs :? , so might be another radar error like last evening's South Taranaki radar.
squid

Unread post by squid »

starting to warm up up her ein the north 23c yesterday and 26C 2day
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

tich wrote:Sun's almost setting and it's still in the mid 20s. :) Yes tomorrow could easily be another hot day, but more cloud is forecast, along with strengthening northwesterlies, so it might not get as hot.

This afternoon's radar shots have been showing what looks like solid rain developing in North Otago, esp by 7pm. However, Oamaru showed no precipitation on the 7pm obs :? , so might be another radar error like last evening's South Taranaki radar.
Gore was getting NW gales before.. very windy down there.
squid wrote:and 26C 2day
That's 3c departure from the official observation squid :roll: ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Jasestrm wrote:Well it bet my predicted max today as i said yesterday 27C for today well throw that out the window 31C right now 8) also very hot at the show.
I was talking to Bob Mc Davitt at the MS stall at AMP show some great stuff to talk about.
Tomorrow Iam looking at max of 30C :D but i believe it may hit ( cough cough) 34-35C here's hoping ;) .
Cheers
JASON.
Hi Jase
I couldn't get onto the Net yesterday for technical reasons but I'm glad my forecast for 31C was nearly acheived - only got to 28.5C in my screen with a light Ne breeze here.
Another warm day tomorrow with NW a bit more breezier
After that back to crap weather unfortunately until later next week with more NW influenced weather :)
JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

It will just be (S)hit (W)eterlies for us :roll: :twisted:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: After that back to crap weather unfortunately until later next week with more NW influenced weather :)
JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Michael wrote:It will just be (S)hit (W)eterlies for us :roll: :twisted:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
Could involve into a "Drewey Dsb Side Rod System" situ devolvement????
Then I'm afraid up there, Michael, you are stuffed :D

JohnGaul
NZTS
Storm Struck

Humid and warm outside with a smell of dampness as if its been raining which it hasnt.
Iam very amazed :shock: its almost 11:30pm and its 18C outside i think even if there is alot of high cloud tomorrow i think its still gona get over 30's 8) but time will tell.
Cheers
JASON.

Canterbury boiling like Aussie 8) now we just need the thunderstorms and we can match ;) :D
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Throw in a dewpoint of 24,and you will know what humidity is about.
8)
Storm Struck

Shaping up to be a warm one again indeed 8) just turned NW here breezy at the moment will pick up later strong and gusty.
26.3C at half past eleven creeping towards 30C ;) .
Cheers
JASON.